Calabogie this Weekend | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Calabogie this Weekend

A thin piece of fabric sandwiched between the bracket and mount works too.

Don't these things come with new GoPro kits? I got mine used so I'm not sure.

5000595_orig.jpg

Don't these things come with new GoPro kits? I got mine used so I'm not sure.

5000595_orig.jpg

The new ones don't use the white rubber piece at all. They come with a black rubber piece attached to the bracket. You just push it down in place and all good - sooooo much better than the old white piece.

Another option if your camera is shaking on the mount is to put a strip of electrical tape on the base - makes it really tight with the bracket.

Biggest problem I have with my old GoPro Hero (a 720p version) is the camera rattling around inside the plastic case - solved by cutting a foam earplug into smaller pieces and jamming a piece into each side. Without it, there was an extremely loud clattering sound on the audio.

Yeah, high frequency rattling in the case is a problem. I had it rattle notches into my camera when I had it mounted directly to the top triple clamp. I don't use the camera much any more since I already have loads of video that I'm never going to watch or edit. haha

I will put the shaky video as well in case anyone wants it. Will try to stabilize and upload this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was at Calibogie this past weekend. I keep reminding myself that this isn’t a regular set of track days at Calabogie. Lining up with the holiday in Quebec can bring a large number of first time riders and others who are not familiar with Calabogie. Sheena is diligent (militant) about placing people in the correct groups, but it turns out some simply lie about their track experience.

For those looking to judge their speed in groups and whether or not to move up; this was not the weekend for good comparisons.

I rode Green and Yellow on Monday & Tuesday. Generally the speeds were lower than usual. The incident on Monday had a chilling effect on my riding, I don’t think I broke into the 2:20’s much after that. There was always the thought in the back of my mind to leave a lot of extra space.

Even still, with slower lap times, I was passing bikes all day Tuesday in Yellow group. Riders who were consistent, stayed on the line and didn’t do anything unexpected were easy to pass. Other riders who were significantly slower and clearly didn’t know the track were just about imposible to pass safely. In chatting with them later it came out that they had mislead Pro6 on their track and racing experience. Thinking that they are fast doesn't make it so, we're all "Fast", it takes some practice and patience to be ready for "Faster".

It’s great to see the paddock full for Pro6, but it’s unfortunate that this also brings so many incidents and near misses.

not looking to increase speed to move up. I understand that lap time is the quantifiable metric which is the direct result of rider experience/skills/proficiency/efficiency. I need to work on approaching corners, corner and exiting corners and my body position (any many other things)

To lie and move up and create a risk for everyone is just wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
All the advice given in the thread, including the go-pro feedback is excellent. To continue to contribute, here's a video from the red group with polite passing and a great indicator of fast lines worth watching. Take what you will, but realize that there are a number of quick lines around this track.. just be smooth and predicable during a track day for your fellow session riders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-A8JAf7Co&list=FLu74lRALNH5hfHfVa1WTljw&index=25

Lap times only tell part of the story; the other part is how consistent and predictable you are. Red group riders should have enough experience that they know what actions cause problems, both for themselves and for other riders, and don't do those things. Cornering speed should be close to the same range regardless of bike, cornering lines should be somewhere near what they ought to be, accelerate when you are supposed to be accelerating (don't ever be unexpectedly slow without getting off the racing line and doing something to warn riders behind), no braking so early that it prompts being rear-ended by someone else coming up fast from behind, go STRAIGHT from the exit point of one corner to the turn-in point of the next with no wandering about from side to side, no last minute changing your mind about where to be on the track, know what to do when you see a black/yellow/striped/red flag, and on and on.

Good lap times come with being consistent, so these are things to work on regardless of group.

If you do all that, and you get the feeling that you are being held up all the time, slowed down by other riders, it's time to move up to the next level.

Best and most honest advise I ever heard and should have had if i could have had before my accident. I was with another trackday organization early July, I was in the intermedia group in the 2nd day. And I think I was in the upper pack of the group and over confident that in the first session 2nd lap and tried to pass the fastest guy in the group. But in turn 2, I passed him from inside the turn and obviously off the racing line but didn't slow down enough before accelerating off the corner, and all in a sudden, I was thrown out over the handle bar, high sided. Then landed on my knees, causing kneecaps frature. Lot of things i can blamed on, but mostly my foolishness and lack of experience.

Anyone knows what happened to no.120? He fell Saturday 29 July at the apex of turn no.3. He left with the ambulance and his bike was pretty beat up, I`m just wondering if he is okay.

Back
Top Bottom