Major electrical problem, pretty sure not the battery | GTAMotorcycle.com

Major electrical problem, pretty sure not the battery

DJ-RK

Hoping someone can help me figure out this problem that just kicked up today. My bike is a 2012 CBR250RA. New battery about 2-3 months back.

Rode into work fine, but when I reached there, stopped, and killed the engine while I went inside to get something, when I came back the dashboard was having a seizure (lights/display flickering). After turning the ignition key on and off a few times the dashboard eventually lit up properly. I didn't actually start the bike then, I just walked it over to my parking spot and figured I'd deal with it after work.

When I did finish work, and tried turning the key over, the dashboard did the funky chicken again. After a couple turns it still didn't come on, but I left it in the on position and about a minute later it just sprang to life as if I had just turned the key over. However when I tried pushing the starter button it just immediately died without even trying to start. I was able to repeat this process once (turned on, saw my neutral light slowly fade on, and then boom! full dash on, but died with attempted to start it). At this point I try bump starting it, and got it started so I thought I was fine, however once I came to a stop it immediately died again (and I obv disengaged the clutch, so it wasn't a stall out).

At this point I tried bump starting it again, got it going, and had to keep revving/giving it gas the whole way back (even while at a stop) to keep it from dying. The whole ride home, my speedo was going all over the map (jumping from random values like 21 km/h to 75 km/h, etc), my abs light was going on and off the whole way, and the ABS may have actually been kicking in while it was doing it because my velocity was jerking and revving was sputtering the entire time. I looked like a freakshow driving like this! I made it about a block away from my house when I hit a combo of a badly timed red light turning green & bicyclist made me come to a stop without giving it enough gas, and it died on me and I had to push it the rest of the way back from there.

Anyone able to diagnose what could be the problem based on this description?

loose battery connection or ground cable would be number 1 thought
Agreed, check your battery terminals to see if they're tight. If they are, get your battery load tested at a shop.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

If not terminals, you could check the electrical sockets. That's a last resort

Where's the battery on this model - under the seat? You can turn the ignition on and wiggle the battery cables and/or other wiring to see if you get the dash-lights flickering.

loose battery connection or ground cable would be number 1 thought
This is what I would say. Has happened to me before. Check your ground connection if it's loose a slight bit it will cause thee issues

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

x5 on probable loose battery connections.

Check the ground not only on the battery, but where it connects to the frame as well. Remove, clean up the connections on both sides, and reconnect.

If this isn't a battey connector issue.
It is going to be a stator or rectifier issue - sounds like a under charging issue, or even a over charging issue.

I would check the voltage into the battery.

Prob under 8V the injectors will cut out and the dash will go all screwey...

Thanks for all the responses. First thing I did was check the connectors on the terminals, and they were on nice and tight. I even removed the connectors going to the 12v socket I have wired up to ensure it wasn't somehow drawing any power.

I'll try checking the grounding cable and the battery voltage as suggested. Can I check the voltage using a basic multimeter? If not, I could probably just bring my exofo meter from work home and use that.

any multimeter will work for tracking down the fault. you are checking things like continuity present/absent and voltage within 0.5 V or so.

Thanks for all the responses. First thing I did was check the connectors on the terminals, and they were on nice and tight. I even removed the connectors going to the 12v socket I have wired up to ensure it wasn't somehow drawing any power.

I'll try checking the grounding cable and the battery voltage as suggested. Can I check the voltage using a basic multimeter? If not, I could probably just bring my exofo meter from work home and use that.

Maybe the new battery is NFG - take it out and to a shop that can load test it.

Lmao, their are a couple of hilariously classic responses in this thread ! Lol

Enlighten us.
Yeah, I don't see it either. Mostly just good advice...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

It's not the battery if it dies after a bump start...the generator (alternator/stator/magneto etc.) takes over. Since symptoms are similar with bike on&off I would check the RR...youtube/google for testing procedures.

Good chance your battery is dead/dying if stator/RR failed, I would get it on a tender to freshen it up.

Last edited:
Status update:

I still had my old battery, so I went and charged it to full so I'd have a replacement to test with. Went out to my bike, with the new battery still in and ignition off tested voltage and it read 12.5v. Turned the ignition over (nothing happened on dash, as expected) and the voltage dropped down and fluctuated between 2-4v. Popped out the new, and put in the old battery and the bike started right up. Voltage reading during load showed 14v. Came back inside, put the tender on the new battery and it went through a reconditioning cycle, which finished in about 2 mins, started charging and within 30 seconds it said it was full. I pulled it off the tender and put it back on, and it's been going through another (longer) reconditioning cycle since.

So is that a good sign that it's hopefully/probably the battery, and not an issue with the stator or regulator/rectifier or is there a chance that could still be the actual root cause and I might run into this again soon?

Last edited:
Under load a 12 volt battery reading of 9 volts or less is bad.

What brand and model is the battery ?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Back
Top Bottom