New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

If a person can jump on an EG and take it easy and enjoy the ride, all the power to them. The poster is of a larger stature. I've seen my fair share of new riders go straight to the bike of their dreams and then wreck and park the thing to be the queen of the garage. It's pretty common. And not common for new riders to jump on a 800 Lb machine and call it versatile.

There are new rider friendly bikes with low displacement and work for the "taller" crowd. They just might be new and not that affordable. And might not be the style.

The Versy 300 X is a good example. Can manage freeway speeds and ergos that can manage larger riders.

The person 300 plus pounds? I don't have any recommendations other than find something you can afford, insure and ride.

There really is plenty of new small displacement machines to fit the majority of riders and their style.

The new BMW 310 R is another example of entry level bike that can be enjoyed for a long time. It might not tour weeks on end but, plenty of power and standard ergos.

Personally I don't recommend HD for new riders. They don't brake well, they are heavy and they have slow steering. At least for the bigger models. Their entry offerings I haven't sampled and honestly suggest smaller Japanese makes that are cheap and plentiful to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To the argument that a bigger bike can roll around at 40kph in 5th gear all day: Where's the fun in that? Putputputputputput....braaaaaaaakes..... putputputputput.... Gearboxes are meant to be used. Some people actually enjoy shifting gears, and enjoy using more of their engine's potential than just above idle. I for one enjoy taking my bike through its rev range through all the gears.

I was stuck behind one of those guys today, on the typical harley with a vest and useless helmet. Going 25 in a 40 zone, didnt hear or see him change gears once. Go buy a Prius you turd.

A lot of riders reach a point where they are in it for the relaxation and enjoyment, not the adrenaline.

I'm perfectly capable of ragging on my bike and accelerating like a scared cat - it WILL do it. It's 0-60 is 5.2 seconds which for a bike that's tipping 1000# or more with any decent sized rider on it is far from shabby. It's also a full second faster than your bike.

But in the end, I'm riding a big comfy couch, and although I am never one of those riders who are an obstacle, I am past that age where I have anything to prove to anyone, nor do I need a hit of adrenaline every time I twist the throttle.

Some day you may get there yourself.

bro, the more experienced Membership has spoken

Fixed that for you.

I would never buy a bike that can't beat my civic lol.

Best buy a litre bike bro.

not sure what he rides, but if its a ninja 300, 0-60 times are 5.6 s

not sure what he rides, but if its a ninja 300, 0-60 times are 5.6 s

CBR300 according to his posts. 0-60 is listed in various places as between 6.3 and 6.7s.

That would be correct

You can definitely start on a 600 if you can keep yourself in check and not ride like a hooligan right away, trying to race everyone and prove something. And if you cant control yourself, then maybe don't buy a bike cause you can kill yourself on a 125.
I totally agree its all about self control and respect the road / bike ! 600 can be fun but also can hunt you back just ride safe and don't over estimate yourself, experience is something will build over time not over night !

For somebody who claims, "I am past that age where I have anything to prove to anyone", you certainly seem to feel the need to prove yourself in this post.... :)

A lot of riders reach a point where they are in it for the relaxation and enjoyment, not the adrenaline.

I'm perfectly capable of ragging on my bike and accelerating like a scared cat - it WILL do it. It's 0-60 is 5.2 seconds which for a bike that's tipping 1000# or more with any decent sized rider on it is far from shabby. It's also a full second faster than your bike.

But in the end, I'm riding a big comfy couch, and although I am never one of those riders who are an obstacle, I am past that age where I have anything to prove to anyone, nor do I need a hit of adrenaline every time I twist the throttle.

Fixed that for you.

Best buy a litre bike bro.

For somebody who claims, "I am past that age where I have anything to prove to anyone", you certainly seem to feel the need to prove yourself in this post.... :)

lol
[video=youtube;HPu641tNIbU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPu641tNIbU[/video]

I am past the age where my feeling is easily hurt. Especially on a forum.

a) Most riders are still in it for the relaxation, enjoyment, AND adrenaline.
b) Obviously you still have something to prove with your "my bike is faster" statement, don't act like you're at the pinnacle.
c) I don't want to "get there myself" if it's where you are. The overly-defensive angry old man position has obviously been filled.

You spent too much time on an forum when you memorize who rides what. Hasn't Alzheimers hit you yet?

Last edited:
You spent too much time on an forum when you memorize who rides what. Hasn't Alzheimers hit you yet?

You mad, bro?

And I didn't memorize crap, I just looked at your profile where one of your latest threads has what you ride right in the thread title. Heresy, I know.

I'm gonna guess you're 25yo +/- 5 years?

Where's Inreb when you need him?

Now get off my lawn.

You mad, bro?

Now get off my lawn.

I'm quite young but this will be my role model statement when I hit 60.

****, I've already lost most of my patience on the ignorant. I went from being legitimately concerned about newbies on supersports, to deriving bundles of joy watching a newbie loop himself out of Kennedy Commons. Or better yet, the idiots with something to prove leaving KC, trying to take that turn fast with cold tires, and ejecting themselves into the bushes.

油井緋色;2526326 said:
I'm quite young but this will be my role model statement when I hit 60

LOL.

I'm a distance from 60.

I'm also a long way from 20. ;)

LOL.

I'm a distance from 60.

I'm also a long way from 20. ;)

Apologies. I assume 60 because I'd like to hope I'm still riding (aggressively) when I'm 60 lol

I did meet some fast grandpa at Shannonville that my buddies and I nicknamed "Gandalf" so I think there is hope?

Ride what you can afford and ride what fits you. Know the risks involved and enjoy the machine. You don't need a 60 year old keyboard warrior or a 20 year old that's never been on a motorcycle to tell you what's right or wrong

油井緋色;2526330 said:
Apologies. I assume 60 because I'd like to hope I'm still riding (aggressively) when I'm 60 lol I did meet some fast grandpa at Shannonville that my buddies and I nicknamed "Gandalf" so I think there is hope?
Yeah, he's still a young pup. Just wait until the only people who understand your sense of humour get banned from the board. :( rip Turbodish & Inreb

Yeah, he's still a young pup. Just wait until the only people who understand your sense of humour get banned from the board. :( rip Turbodish & Inreb

It's sad that we'll never know what happened to those guys. You'd think there could be a thread that shows people sins.

Back
Top Bottom