New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

Even after the MSF course AND several demo days....I accidentally wheelie'd the bike on a(not 400 series) highway, but was able to keep it under control

I hear ya. Last month I got lazy on a green light and let the clutch out at about 10k rpm, front end came up much to my surprise....

Definitely not proud of it and i felt like everyone at the intersection was probably shaking their heads.

I hear ya. Last month I got lazy on a green light and let the clutch out at about 10k rpm, front end came up much to my surprise....

Definitely not proud of it and i felt like everyone at the intersection was probably shaking their heads.

10K? That's a lot of revs from a stop. What rpm do you normally use to get going on an R3?

Err.....just a word of advice regarding ego + motorcycles....

When your ego surpasses your actual skill and you try to demonstrate it, **** will hit the fan.

Also regarding schools...here's some food for thought: if you're a smoker who's never ran before, how do you know how much damage you did to your lungs when you try to train? You won't know what you lost because you never had it.

If you are a new rider, how do you know what is right from wrong? When I first started riding, a mechanic told me how he'd go super fast and scrape his boot at the toe area. Do you know why this is a bad idea?

Learn some humility. It'll save your ***. Motorcycles amplify everything you have, including your own arrogance.

Courses are good as they don't teach you bad habits. Which youtube most definitely does.

10,000 km in 3 months with no issues is pretty good for a new rider
definitely better than watching youtube to learn how to ride

you're probably at this point past the initial risk a newb faces
complacency is now the highest risk
many riders crash in the second season after a problem free rookie season

a course at this point is still a good idea
let you know what you're doing right
and what bad habits you have, and we all have them

and like anything else in life
there will be some info that is dead wrong and should be set aside

I've been riding for over 30 years, and still think I should take an advanced course some day
I know what you mean. I've had several close calls in terms of other cars coming over into my lane and almost killing me every now and then but in terms of my control over the bike, it's not an issue.

And yes I think I'm at a different stage now where crashing is likely for a different reason other than the complete newb stage. The over confident stage. I'm looking out for that.

I'm planning on taking the advanced course next season and learn how to properly ride a super sport on track.
YouTube can only take a man so far...lol

油井緋色;2525184 said:
Err.....just a word of advice regarding ego + motorcycles....

When your ego surpasses your actual skill and you try to demonstrate it, **** will hit the fan.

Also regarding schools...here's some food for thought: if you're a smoker who's never ran before, how do you know how much damage you did to your lungs when you try to train? You won't know what you lost because you never had it.

If you are a new rider, how do you know what is right from wrong? When I first started riding, a mechanic told me how he'd go super fast and scrape his boot at the toe area. Do you know why this is a bad idea?

Learn some humility. It'll save your ***. Motorcycles amplify everything you have, including your own arrogance.
True.

hey im still riding a tiny, slow suzuki tu250x and i love it. maxing out at 130km/h WOT on the gardiner is not so fun, but still entirely doable!

I know what you mean. I've had several close calls in terms of other cars coming over into my lane and almost killing me every now and then but in terms of my control over the bike, it's not an issue.

And yes I think I'm at a different stage now where crashing is likely for a different reason other than the complete newb stage. The over confident stage. I'm looking out for that.

I'm planning on taking the advanced course next season and learn how to properly ride a super sport on track.
YouTube can only take a man so far...lol

that's everyday...time, and some defensive driving instruction
will teach how to minimize your exposure to those situations
and how to put the ego in check and stay alive when they do happen

don't know how to explain it, other than the obvious blind spot avoidance
and making yourself as visible as possible with positioning
but you develop a six sense for vehicles/drivers that are going to pull out
or change lanes into you

Last edited:
that's everyday...time, and some defensive driving instruction
will teach how to minimize your exposure to those situations
and how to put the ego in check and stay alive when they do happen

don't know how to explain it, other than the obvious blind spot avoidance
and making yourself as visible as possible with positioning
but you develop a six sense for vehicles/drivers that are going to pull out
or change lanes into you

yep i learned quickly commuting every day from work in downtown'ish GTA. everyones out to get you and ignores the **** out of you.

I learned the best things in life on YouTube, most people that post there are very knowledgeable and give great advice, I bet that in the next 5 years education will be a thing of the past as any skill can be learned on YouTube.

**this post is not sponsored by YouTube

hey im still riding a tiny, slow suzuki tu250x and i love it. maxing out at 130km/h WOT on the gardiner is not so fun, but still entirely doable!

Tu250x will likely be my next commuter. I have an old CM250c street tracker that is getting a little sketchy for reliability. I like the tu250x, it's easy to change the cam chain, it's air cooled and it gets the job done.

sitting at a light with a 300 reving 10K, thats not lazy, thats prepping for MotoGP3. Totally badass, Rossi would give you two thumbs up, and a headshake

Tu250x will likely be my next commuter. I have an old CM250c street tracker that is getting a little sketchy for reliability. I like the tu250x, it's easy to change the cam chain, it's air cooled and it gets the job done.

oddly enough i park next to a cm250 a lot of the time when i ride into work.

maintenance on the tu250 is definitely pretty simple. it's a little annoying that it doesnt have a center stand for even easier oil change/chain cleaning but ahh well. definitely super reliable so far. EFI is just automatic everything haha. i'm sure you'll be losing some power on the single cylinder TU and probably top speed too but its still super fun.

sitting at a light with a 300 reving 10K, thats not lazy, thats prepping for MotoGP3. Totally badass, Rossi would give you two thumbs up, and a headshake

:( i am sad

left hand in the air doing fist pumps
head rolled back and screaming your face off
that would complete the look
would have to hold the chickies back

Why would you ever bet at 10k rpm with no load at a standstill if you weren't trying to get peoples attention, your bike must've been screaming... No idea how laziness can even come into play in this situation.

On an R3, you're almost hitting your redline.

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R3-cluster.jpg

That being said I did something similar on my CBR125 a few years back when I had the bad habit of sitting in neutral at a light. Light went green, twisted the throttle and revved it up relatively high, and quickly kicked it into first without letting the revs come down. Front tire lifted a touch. That being said I don't sit in neutral at lights anymore unless I'm checking/adjusting something that requires my left hand which rarely happens.

Why would you ever bet at 10k rpm with no load at a standstill if you weren't trying to get peoples attention, your bike must've been screaming... No idea how laziness can even come into play in this situation.

On an R3, you're almost hitting your redline.

2015-Yamaha-YZF-R3-cluster.jpg

That being said I did something similar on my CBR125 a few years back when I had the bad habit of sitting in neutral at a light. Light went green, twisted the throttle and revved it up relatively high, and quickly kicked it into first without letting the revs come down. Front tire lifted a touch. That being said I don't sit in neutral at lights anymore unless I'm checking/adjusting something that requires my left hand which rarely happens.

I too never Neutral at lights. I also wear plugs so the noise is fairly abated.

I certainly wasn't at a standstill, i likely didn't let the clutch out completely. I suppose my mind was stuck at work as i was on the way home. /shrug

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom