New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 22 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

So did I on a similar bike. Will be completing my first full year this coming Aug. I could not imagine doing this any other way. Or at least with a smaller/beginner bike then upgrading to another. Over 16,000 k so far having a blast!

Congrats. That’s a good first year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's what keeps GTAM interesting.

Far better than the oil and waving threads.
Gtam hasn't been interesting since at least 2012. But sure.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Gtam hasn't been interesting since at least 2012.

Yet you're still here?

I left countless forums I got bored with. GTAM is always good for decent content most of the time..and I like the fact it's kinda-sorta mostly regional. Reminds me a little of the BBS days for that matter, which is probably why I enjoy it.

Wasn't here <2012 so I've no reference to what "changed" then, but meh.

Ducati Monster. I would think that's categorized as a SS?

Actually a great choice for a first bike (if you can afford the italian premium). Standard bikes often don't get the love they deserve.

Distinctly not SS. Monster 600 is ~50 hp, 600cc SS is ~100 to 120.

Actually a great choice for a first bike (if you can afford the italian premium). Standard bikes often don't get the love they deserve.

Similarly, I started on an 800cc (75hp) Ducati Scrambler. Besides a snatchy throttle, which I got used to quickly, it's pretty manageable, but it can bite you if you're not careful.

Third season and 24k km later and still enjoying it. I don't push it to the limits every day, but I do have an idea where they are and I have taken advanced rider lessons. (Just passed my M test with it on Saturday, yay)

I don't see why most people here assumes everyone wants to ride an SS or cruiser in the city. Sorry, but neither categories appeal to me at all.

Last edited:
Guess what I started on would be frowned upon but I started on a 1600cc Harley. 740lbs. No problems but if I had done that when I was 20 years old I'm sure I would have gotten myself into serious trouble. More mature and not an *** on the road like I was when I was in my youth.

I think this is often, not always, the most important factor.

It was 696 with slightly more HP, I think ~80. Nimble and a very comfortable bike.
But yea, I see your point.

I don't think you were here before 2012 were you? So I am not sure you have a point of reference to what I am talking about but yet you have to reply

Again you don't need to respond to every thread and every topic, just FYI.i

Me still here? Hardly.

Yet you're still here?

I left countless forums I got bored with. GTAM is always good for decent content most of the time..and I like the fact it's kinda-sorta mostly regional. Reminds me a little of the BBS days for that matter, which is probably why I enjoy it.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Yet you're still here?

Far less Oil/waving threads as well as less of people telling you what/how you should ride - much less criticism. End of 2012 is where it started to go downhill.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/archives/index.php

I don't think you were here before 2012 were you? So I am not sure you have a point of reference to what I am talking about but yet you have to reply

Again you don't need to respond to every thread and every topic, just FYI

I wasn’t here previous to 2012, and I specifically mentioned that in my reply.

And I don’t know where some get the impression that I respond to every single thread – the reality is quite to the contrary - many don’t interest me at all.

End of 2012 is where it started to go downhill.

And what is the opinion/reason things changed?

I’ve been part of, and admin’d/SysOp’d forums since the early 80’s. I’ve seen these sorts of situations countless times. Forums change, members come and go (or get banned), and yeah, it changes the feel/vibe of a forum - some don’t adjust or yearn for “the way it used to be” all the time. But typically it’s just change (time marches on) that many object to...and there’s no solution to that.

I’d love go back to the BBS era of the early 90’s, but that ain’t happening.

One can always start their own forum any time they want. I still help run several (and host 2 on my own server for friends), at least one which was started because someone didn’t like the way their favourite forum was headed and decided they could do better.

Not advocating for such or saying that GTAM isn’t just fine as it is (again, I enjoy it here, as per my last comments which some clearly didn’t read), but I’m sure others don’t feel the same.

Honestly I think part of the issue is that there is just so much ****** advice now.

Some of the guys who got banned actually knew what the **** they were talking about. While I get that the mods are simply enforcing rules, they banned too many track addicts, knowledgeable posters, and even funny ones. A lot of these posters got banned because they reacted in an infraction worthy way to really ****** information.

Now we're left with a very vocal crowd of inept riders, and the track riders/racers that are left are soft spoken or simply don't give two ***** anymore. This results in a negative echo chamber where the vast majority of posters are talking down on other riders, thinking if they don't ride a certain way they are inferior, but it is coming from posters that would cause a congo line in green group at any track day (aka they suck and are showing it by their lack of ability to explain technical concepts.)

So what happens? Anyone new has to become a jackass to fit in.

Oh, and for the record, I called this out years ago. But there have been countless ppl on here that have helped me...so I stay =)

...the individual that purchased the 600 got too comfortable and started to ride without using his head and was getting just a bit too cocky with the throttle. He took a corner way too fast up north, flew over a guard rail and wrote off his bike....

This can happen on any motorcycle of any size, shape and colour. It's the rider. It's the bike. In fact, you stating the "rider got too comfortable" suggests (in a way) that the guy on the 600cc Supersport has been learning faster than you. Rather, your statement is more stereotypically true of the mind-set of the individual on the motorcycle. Not always the case, but it would appear once more the more level-headed individual (you) started on a simple R3 and the hot-headed friend jumped to the 600cc Supersport. It's that hot-headed, impulsive, live-fast-die-young mind-set that crashed.

That level-headed brain lends itself to more rational based motorbike purchases, approaches to learning, etc.. etc.. and typically leaves you not crashing.

No worries, I am not sure anybody that learned on a big bike has a point of reference to what a smaller lightweight bike is even capable of.

Nope. They don't. loved my 250 and my CB450 Hawk. Different bikes to my GSXR750, but enjoyable in their own ways.

Similarly, I started on an 800cc (75hp) Ducati Scrambler. Besides a snatchy throttle, which I got used to quickly, it's pretty manageable, but it can bite you if you're not careful.

Third season and 24k km later and still enjoying it. I don't push it to the limits every day, but I do have an idea where they are and I have taken advanced rider lessons. (Just passed my M test with it on Saturday, yay)

I don't see why most people here assumes everyone wants to ride an SS or cruiser in the city. Sorry, but neither categories appeal to me at all.

nice. i have the baby scrambler (sixty2). you said you got used to the snatchy throttle, but i assume yours is a pre-2017 bike? in that year they swapped the throttle tube in all scramblers which is supposed to ease the throttle a bit more, rather than the on/off effect of the 2016 and older scramblers. pre-2017 bikes can swap over and use the new throttle tube too.

I wasn’t here previous to 2012, and I specifically mentioned that in my reply.

And I don’t know where some get the impression that I respond to every single thread – the reality is quite to the contrary - many don’t interest me at all.

I’ve been part of, and admin’d/SysOp’d forums since the early 80’s. I’ve seen these sorts of situations countless times. Forums change, members come and go (or get banned), and yeah, it changes the feel/vibe of a forum - some don’t adjust or yearn for “the way it used to be” all the time. But typically it’s just change (time marches on) that many object to...and there’s no solution to that.

I’d love go back to the BBS era of the early 90’s, but that ain’t happening.

One can always start their own forum any time they want. I still help run several (and host 2 on my own server for friends), at least one which was started because someone didn’t like the way their favourite forum was headed and decided they could do better.

Not advocating for such or saying that GTAM isn’t just fine as it is (again, I enjoy it here, as per my last comments which some clearly didn’t read), but I’m sure others don’t feel the same.

An average of six posts per day will do that . . .

An average of six posts per day will do that . . .

There are threads I have hundreds of replies in. My EV thread for example.

And there’s lots I have zero replies in.

You’re welcome to add me to your ignore list if I bother you. It won’t offend me.

Back
Top Bottom