New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

I started on a 600.
I wrecked two my first season.
Buy whatever you want... not sure why anyone else cares.

Then you clearly cannot grasp the concept of insurance,

if he dies(or is fortunate to lose a leg) my premium goes up.

Then you clearly cannot grasp the concept of insurance,

if he dies(or is fortunate to lose a leg) my premium goes up.

I'll admit i laughed.

I bought a brand new ninja 300 right after I was done my MSF course and received my M2...first thing I did was almost run it on the curb the very first corner I went through...It was wayyyyy more powerfull than the CBR125 I used to get my M2...I think I posted my experience here in one of the posts...

I bought a brand new ninja 300 right after I was done my MSF course and received my M2...first thing I did was almost run it on the curb the very first corner I went through...It was wayyyyy more powerfull than the CBR125 I used to get my M2...I think I posted my experience here in one of the posts...

Even after the MSF course AND several demo days....I accidentally wheelie'd the bike on a(not 400 series) highway, but was able to keep it under control

I did this the first day I picked up my 650R but I actually hit the curb. Repair quote from the dealer was over $4k to the $8300 bike (bought it brand new). Took about a week before I could walk right too.

just the cbr500, i was trying to do my best valentino rossi gear shifting impersonation, and ended up doing a clutch wheelie somehow on highway 10 near Orangeville....

I bought my first bike this season. I got a sv650s. Lots of torque so it's fun in the city but also safe on the highway. I can keep it for as long as I want and likely not get bored. I'd been on a handful of different bikes of my friends in the past 5 years so I knew the basics. Just getting used to riding in traffic was the biggest thing. I took it slow for the first while and although I'm still learning, I'm decently comfortable on the bike. I know how to corner with advice from experienced friends. I don't push beyond my capabilities but I push myself to learn and ease into what I haven't tried yet. It all depends on the rider and your mind set. A 650 was the happy medium for me.

Even after the MSF course AND several demo days....I accidentally wheelie'd the bike on a(not 400 series) highway, but was able to keep it under control

go back to whomever signed you a pass grade on your course and tell them your sorry. If they taught you bike control there is no such thing as an accidental wheelie.

If they taught you bike control there is no such thing as an accidental wheelie.

There is when you're trying to show off or riding beyond your skill level.

Thankfully those errors were remedied and no one was harmed in the making of a poor rendition of a wheelie

accidental clutch wheelie is easy for a new rider

especially new rider on an R6

exceptional human being notwithstanding

These stories are thought provoking.

I started on a 08 R6, put 10 000 km on it in 3 months, never went to riding school, and never stalled the bike until the 2nd week into my riding.

It seems the power of self taught is not emphasized these days.

With access to so much information (Internet/YouTube), it's concerning how people panic if you don't go to a registered, approved, stamp of approval"school".

True Story: A friend of mine started on a CBR500 and rode a week and a half before deciding to go to "riding school".

After he went, he said it was an absolute waste of time and waste of money. According to him, everything they taught, he already knew months before he bought his bike. He said what he learned in 1 week of riding, along with YouTube, put him far above the other riders in he school. Apparently, "most of the other riders couldn't find the clutch".

I guess the 3 day course is designed for the average person who does no independent research, but instead leaves their accountability and destiny in the hands of others (schools).

Explains why I received so much hate for starting on a 600 SS. The average person has no idea what they are capable of, and an individual who opts for an "alternative" route to success is often met with disdain.

Oddly enough, for a person who didn't go to the school and who started on a 600 SS, I haven't had any of the issues or accidents many others experienced who did start on a "smaller bike".

I regularly talk to riders who "dropped" their 250cc and 300cc a few times. Same riders who said it was crazy to start on a 600. Awkward when I don't have similar stories to share lol..

God I love tooting my own horn...

These stories are thought provoking.

I started on a 08 R6, put 10 000 km on it in 3 months, never went to riding school, and never stalled the bike until the 2nd week into my riding.

It seems the power of self taught is not emphasized these days.

With access to so much information (Internet/YouTube), it's concerning how people panic if you don't go to a registered, approved, stamp of approval"school".

True Story: A friend of mine started on a CBR500 and rode a week and a half before deciding to go to "riding school".

After he went, he said it was an absolute waste of time and waste of money. According to him, everything they taught, he already knew months before he bought his bike. He said what he learned in 1 week of riding, along with YouTube, put him far above the other riders in he school. Apparently, "most of the other riders couldn't find the clutch".

I guess the 3 day course is designed for the average person who does no independent research, but instead leaves their accountability and destiny in the hands of others (schools).

Explains why I received so much hate for starting on a 600 SS. The average person has no idea what they are capable of, and an individual who opts for an "alternative" route to success is often met with disdain.

Oddly enough, for a person who didn't go to the school and who started on a 600 SS, I haven't had any of the issues or accidents many others experienced who did start on a "smaller bike".

I regularly talk to riders who "dropped" their 250cc and 300cc a few times. Same riders who said it was crazy to start on a 600. Awkward when I don't have similar stories to share lol..

God I love tooting my own horn...

Ah....the Avatar has changed but the person is still the same

Bullshart.

Your friend is too full of himself to admit he might have learned something, because I guarantee you he did. Someday, some of it may very well save his life whether he admits it, or not.

Yeah, because YouTube is such a great resource for information that is never wrong. I'm sure in about 60 seconds I could find some instructional videos on how to lay down your bike as an emergency stopping maneuver.

Fact is, people who learn things from YouTube and such often learn things they shouldn't be doing because the person "teaching" has no business doing so. People then take these bad (or completely wrong) habits as "skills" and think they've done themselves a favour.

For example, I can't count the number of new horseback riders I've mentored who show up at the barn and excitedly claimed they "watched hours of videos on YouTube!" and simply expect that they are now a pro at horsemanship or riding, only to exhibit terrible habits "taught" by other idiots on YouTube who have no idea what they're teaching. Now they have to forget all that crap, swallow their pride (the hardest part for many who refuse to admit they really actually know squat) and start learning from a real professional...before the 1200 pound animal with a mind of it's own potentially kills or maims them.

Anyhow, anyone who does a certified MSC, even someone who's been riding for decades...WILL learn something. Yeah, the first day is mind numbingly boring for any even slightly experienced rider, but on the second day, it might be emergency swerving, threshold braking, or slow speed handling, but even a seasoned "self taught" rider will walk away with a new skill or three.

Anyone claiming otherwise is full of it or too scared to admit it for fear their masculinity might be tarnished.

Just claiming you know everything is much manlier, after all.

Bullshart.

Your friend is too full of himself to admit he might have learned something, because I guarantee you he did. Someday, some of it may very well save his life whether he admits it, or not.

Yeah, because YouTube is such a great resource for information that is never wrong. I'm sure in about 60 seconds I could find some instructional videos on how to lay down your bike as an emergency stopping maneuver.

Fact is, people who learn things from YouTube and such often learn things they shouldn't be doing because the person "teaching" has no business doing so. People then take these bad (or completely wrong) habits as "skills" and think they've done themselves a favour.

For example, I can't count the number of new horseback riders I've mentored who show up at the barn and excitedly claimed they "watched hours of videos on YouTube!" and simply expect that they are now a pro at horsemanship or riding, only to exhibit terrible habits "taught" by other idiots on YouTube who have no idea what they're teaching. Now they have to forget all that crap, swallow their pride (the hardest part for many who refuse to admit they really actually know squat) and start learning from a real professional...before the 1200 pound animal with a mind of it's own potentially kills or maims them.

Anyhow, anyone who does a certified MSC, even someone who's been riding for decades...WILL learn something. Yeah, the first day is mind numbingly boring for any even slightly experienced rider, but on the second day, it might be emergency swerving, threshold braking, or slow speed handling, but even a seasoned "self taught" rider will walk away with a new skill or three.

Anyone claiming otherwise is full of it or too scared to admit it for fear their masculinity might be tarnished.

Just claiming you know everything is much manlier, after all.
You could be right and I see your point.
Thanks for the insight.

I never went to the course myself so I can't say what is or what isn't.

It does have a good reputation though.

Ah....the Avatar has changed but the person is still the same
Oh? Given that you only know of the person what is presented and revealed to you, if I didn't know any better, I'd have thought you knew who the person was, to determine whether or not they are the "same".

10,000 km in 3 months with no issues is pretty good for a new rider
definitely better than watching youtube to learn how to ride

you're probably at this point past the initial risk a newb faces
complacency is now the highest risk
many riders crash in the second season after a problem free rookie season

a course at this point is still a good idea
let you know what you're doing right
and what bad habits you have, and we all have them

and like anything else in life
there will be some info that is dead wrong and should be set aside

I've been riding for over 30 years, and still think I should take an advanced course some day

Back
Top Bottom