Ontario MOT Online Driver's License Renewal: Fail | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario MOT Online Driver's License Renewal: Fail

I think a lot of them were out of order. (when you actually found one)

Grain of salt and all that, but a disgruntled Service Ontario rep told me there was a dispute between the equipment vendor and the government over the service contract, so they took forever to fix. Also, the final nail in the coffin was the kiosks were easily hackable (like an ATM) and the vendor wanted even more $$$ to secure them properly. Again, not sure if true, but it sounds plausible, given the known problems with similar initiatives like e-Health. A bit annoying too, since I never had an issue with my local kiosks--they were the logical step forward to ending the dreaded lineup. I think the longest I waited was 10 minutes; most of the time, the thing was open for use.

I don't think anybody is arguing against the online system in general, just that the implementation is bad. The fault that OP experienced generally arises when more people start using it, and the fact that he had to go to an office anyway means it cost him time instead of saving him any

To wrap up my license renewal interaction with the MoT Service Ontario, to my "Contact Us" question about not being able to print my temporary driver's license, I received an email today, 20 days later, telling me that I must go to a Service Ontario office in person to have it printed.

Last Week I received my official plastic driver's license in the mail. At least the process somewhat works.

I don't think anybody is arguing against the online system in general, just that the implementation is bad. The fault that OP experienced generally arises when more people start using it, and the fact that he had to go to an office anyway means it cost him time instead of saving him any

Government systems are notorious for being pieces of **** because somewhere along the line is probably a system running Windows Server 2000 calling some ancient UNIX system on the verge of collapsing. But, due to budget concerns, "lets just upgrade this part!" is suggested by some moron who's great at politics but has no idea of how the **** the system actually works or which part needs to be upgraded.

..........and then you have ridiculous implementations done by engineers like myself because the requirements gathering process went to **** AND the QA phase doesn't have proper tests. Both happening due to budget concerns.

And we end up with this =)

That can't fly these days due to the liabilities alone. If the info of all your customers gets dumped due to you cheaping out on building your application, using really old ****, or using people that have no clue what they're doing, the lawsuit isn't going to go well for you

Back
Top Bottom