Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth

For me, I rode before marriage and kids, and kept riding the whole time. There was no question of it. Only was off for a season when I made the mistake of selling the last bike before getting the new one. Spouse couldn't live with me not riding. Take all the precautions you can and watch out for others on the road.

My condolences for the loss of your uncle. Your family's love for him I'm sure, is what is motivating their fears for your safety.

It would bring some peace to your family if you minimized mentioning spirited riding and instead spoke of the feelings that one gets from gracefully sweeping through a bend, feelings that I'm sure brought pleasure to your uncle. I hope there is a picture of him in your mind where he is wearing a big smile after an invigorating ride. Remember that image.

We all die but who is better remembered, the one who died young but had a thousand adventures or the one who died older but never did anything except show up at family gathering wearing the same old suit and driving the boring four door sedan.

Another factor for me would be who's roof do I live under?

If you live under their roof I have the mindset you have to respect their decisions.

How old are you and do you live with the family members?

No one can make this decision but you.
It's a tough one, but it is yours to make.

Condolences on the loss to your family.

A very good fried of mine died while riding. Had over 40 years experience. Mentored me and helped me with my ride. We rode together in Florida while on vacation.

A few days after I came back from vacation, I got the news of his death. Nothing he could do. A senior pulled out onto the highway. Didn't see him.

His wife wasn't with him at the time.

I was angry for a long time. I didn't want to ride anymore.

I had to grieve in my own way.

I eventual got back on and rode. Not sure how long it was? Seemed like forever.

To ride is a personal choice.

You can't prevent your family from caring about you.

Will it deter you or inspire you?

Ride because you want to. If the weight of your family's concerns are making you question if you should ride, take the time to think about it.

Just don't rush to a decision about giving it up all together.

Give it all the time you need.

Sometimes when I ride, I can feel the presence of my friend. It makes riding all that more pleasurable.

My condolences to you and your family. RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riding is dangerous and stats say you're about 35 times more likely to die in a accident vs. someone in a car.

The death of a family member is terrible, immediate and personal. It focuses everyone's concern. Family and friends probably don't get why you want to ride and feel it's totally discretionary, so they are giving you this advice as they don't want you to suffer the same fate. Don't blame them for this.

You can mitigate the risk of having an accident by riding defensively, taking a rider course and never drink and ride. Also, public roads are not a race track. Enjoy your bike within limits. If you are always riding 10/10th's then you have absolutely no margin of safety. You can also mitigate, to some extent, severely of injury by wearing ATGATT. However, having done all this if someone doesn't see you and pulls out to pass or turns left in front of you, whatever, then that's fate.

Ultimately, it's your decision as to whether the pleasure of riding offsets the risk.

Hi, everyone so I am in a bit of a situation here. Recently my uncle just passed away in a motorcycle accident On Jane & Bloor (God Rest His Soul) and now my whole family is so worried that they want me to sell my bike. I just got into riding (beginning of May I started riding) and bought my bike. I love it and everything about motorcycles but now they want me to sell. I really don't want to sell it. A family member recommended me this; I could wait a few years until im 25 and more mature and see if I can get a bike plus insurance is lowered (not by much) and go from there. If anyone has been through this type of situation or have any tips/suggestions please comment. Thanks in advance and ride safe!!!

Definitely a knee-jerk reaction on your family's part, but that's to be expected. They feel helpless in the face of his death and are searching for some sort of control while they come to terms with it. How you act is dependent on your relationship with your family. If they are decent people, waiting until after your uncle's funeral to resume riding might be a way to ease their stress (example only). A bit of discretion goes a long way in life--keeping the dank woolies and rev bombs tucked away (if that's your inclination) could be another option. Not sure I would sell the bike and stop riding. Making yourself miserable long-term to keep someone marginally less upset in the short-term is a poor strategy. Condolences and good luck.

So sorry to hear about your uncle. My condolences.

I agree with what others have said, but if its within your means, think about limiting time on the street bike for a little, and picking up a dirt bike. It would keep you riding, broaden your riding experiences and give the family the comfort that you're not out in traffic.

Almost everything has already been said. This is a personal decision.

Take a riding course, read as much as you can about riding safety. Read Hough's Proficient Motorcycling, which has a large section about traffic safety. Ride conservatively and develop your 6th sense in traffic, try to predict which driver will make the ****** move. Wear your gear, behave on the road. Hope for the best.

You never know when your life will end, so enjoy the time you have now, riding or not.

OP, I get the request from your family. Interestingly, you said they want you to wait until your 25 and more mature. Your uncle was 71 and still had a tragic collision. So how old do you have to be to be a "mature safe rider".

Yes people do die while riding, just as they do driving a car, riding a bicycle, even walking. so how is one supposed to get around? Yes there are way more cars on the road, but there is also many more vehicle deaths each year than there are on motorcycles.

Perhaps, if you haven't already done so, take a riding course to demonstrate to them, that you are taking ALL possible precautions to be a safe rider.

I've been licensed for over 25 years, taken every course and taught the MSC for 15.

When my mom was alive nothing could have made riding a m/c okay. My father didn't agree but they always put a united front on with us. When I moved out I bought my first Street bike.

Until then it was their house, their rules.

Soon I will be raising kids, funny you made this thread because yesterday I was thinking about it. I will probably do the periodic track riding. When my kids are around 13-14 I will get back on street rides. Meanwhile, I have to find something to forget about riding

Soon I will be raising kids, funny you made this thread because yesterday I was thinking about it. I will probably do the periodic track riding. When my kids are around 13-14 I will get back on street rides. Meanwhile, I have to find something to forget about riding

I ended up spending money on bicycles and everything needed to bring the runts around. Trailer, seats etc. Got them riding on their own and take them to some quiet paths to ride together as a family. Keeps me fit and we do it together.

As they get older, they enjoy riding with dad on the motorcycle. My 19 y/o hasn't taken the plunge to ride on her own yet. Focused on school and work before taking the course and getting her license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about your uncle. I've never understood that reaction. If your uncle had died in a car crash, would everyone in your family get rid of their cars... exactly.

Any relatives die in a car accident? How many family members sold their car. How is a bike accident any different?

I think the car comments are not really applicable.
You have to get into a really significant accident to die in a car crash.
On a motorcycle, it can be something much more mundane. I think there is no denying, motorcycle riding is dangerous.
Just have to accept the risks, or give it up and find something else to enjoy.

I am a complete noob, but I choose to ride Sunday mornings to mitigate the risk.
Accidents like the one with OP's uncle show that even the most experienced riders are still at the same risk. A rear end collision is difficult to avoid.

It is understandable that your family is concerned and they should be. Losing anyone you know or know of is tough to swallow.

As some other posters mentioned, maybe let some time pass before you make the decision to sell your bike. It's a tough decision only you should make for yourself.

I can tell you that at your age, I wanted to ride but my parents wouldn't let me ride. Mainly because I lived under their roof I couldn't do what I wanted. Even after I moved out, my priorities changed ... Married... kids... work... etc... divorce... and never did end up getting my license until this year (approximately 20yrs+ later.) And last month finally got my bike.

Accidents happen and just be aware of everyone and everything. I know I am a noob as well, and I am not naive to the fact riding a motorcycle is more dangerous. I have had to reassure my friends that I am aware of what I am now doing and it is my choice. They can have their opinion too but I know what I want and I am sticking to it.

Sorry for your loss OP.

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I don't think any of us would be any position to advise you. Since this is a motorcycle forum- the advise would be heavily biased towards not quitting- if that's what you want to hear.

All I can do is share my history. I had been riding in another country for about 17 years, and when I moved to Canada 4 years back- I was itching to get a motorcycle license to start riding here. Every year that I didn't ride, I felt something was missing in my life.

You would probably feel the same way- if you are forced to give up riding. (you would have regrets every time you see a motorcycle ride past you).

I don't get what insurance has to do with your family forcing you to give up riding. (Unless you mentioned it as an additional incentive to stop riding).

That said- I completely empathize with your family members concerns and I am sorry for your uncle's demise.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Yeah, thanks man I am trying to convince them for me not to sell it but I'm not too sure.

You already own the bike. Put it away for now, deal with your grief and confusion. Make this decision after some time has passed and everyone's emotions aren't so amped up.
Making big decisions in the aftermath of a personal tragedy isn't the best course of action. Take a little time and the answer will come to you.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom