Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth

I'm very sorry about your loss OP....I cannot fathom how it feels to lose someone close. The only positive is that he was able to ride so late into his life.

im also going through a decision process having had a son 5 months ago. I love riding, but I feel guilty every day when I take the bike to work because I know what could happen. Playing with fire on the soul crusher we love as the 401....

thinking of giving up the bike for a while, because the only time I have to ride is the work commute which isn't fun....but it's more entertaining than the car, and way faster and cheaper than any other form...my wife hasn't asked me to drop it, and she won't. But I know she's worried.

just need to find what to replace it with. Not sure if it's worth keeping the bike....will need to decide soon. Maybe dedicated dirt....or track...don't know.

once again, do what you feel is best for YOU. Its your life, and in the end only you make the decision, however your family lives with the consequences of our actions.

You already own the bike. Put it away for now, deal with your grief and confusion. Make this decision after some time has passed and everyone's emotions aren't so amped up.
Making big decisions in the aftermath of a personal tragedy isn't the best course of action. Take a little time and the answer will come to you.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk
What he said. If you're not committed to riding then lay off for a while. In time you'll know what to do.

I'll add that if you decide to ride again then ramp up slowly, as if you're just learning to ride again. You seem like a real sensible guy. Whatever you end up doing, it will be right for you.

Do what you want and ignore your family unless you're like 14 or something.

I'm very sorry about your loss OP....I cannot fathom how it feels to lose someone close. The only positive is that he was able to ride so late into his life.

im also going through a decision process having had a son 5 months ago. I love riding, but I feel guilty every day when I take the bike to work because I know what could happen. Playing with fire on the soul crusher we love as the 401....

thinking of giving up the bike for a while, because the only time I have to ride is the work commute which isn't fun....but it's more entertaining than the car, and way faster and cheaper than any other form...my wife hasn't asked me to drop it, and she won't. But I know she's worried.

just need to find what to replace it with. Not sure if it's worth keeping the bike....will need to decide soon. Maybe dedicated dirt....or track...don't know.

once again, do what you feel is best for YOU. Its your life, and in the end only you make the decision, however your family lives with the consequences of our actions.
Yeah man I completely feel you on that. I'm just going to keep it in storage for now until next season (sucks but that's what I'm going to do) and give some time for my family to cool down. I so want to keep on riding I love it. It's a passion of mine but in the mean time not for now. Good luck with everything on your end man and update if anything happens or you when you make a decision ride safe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yeah man I completely feel you on that. I'm just going to keep it in storage for now until next season (sucks but that's what I'm going to do) and give some time for my family to cool down. I so want to keep on riding I love it. It's a passion of mine but in the mean time not for now. Good luck with everything on your end man and update if anything happens or you when you make a decision ride safe.

Sent from my SM-G386W using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

If you're not going to ride, I would talk to your insurance company and see what cancelling your insurance looks like. Paying tons of insurance doesn't make sense for a parked vehicle. If it doesn't cost much to keep it insured, leave it on so your rates will be better next year.

or sell it and buy another when it's time. Though, not having one at the ready makes it harder to start again.

mimico, do what ya gotta do. For sanity, I rode all thru my kids growing up....and still do.

Statistics say you are more likely to suffer death or injury on a bike versus a car. And cold statistics are just that, they are remote, impersonal and speak in generalities, so most of us just nod and keep on. But now that statistical fact has been brought home to your family, so it's all the more real, and all the more personal.

I ride knowing those facts because the sheer thrill I get out of it is so huge. If riding a bike were say only 10% more exciting than driving, I'd probably give up riding, given the insurance costs and the short riding season in Canada. But it's 100% better, so giving it up is not something I really want to do. I suppose it is like someone addicted to smoking, they enjoy it so much, they ignore the statistics; although I believe smoking is more riskier than riding a bike.

Being new to riding, you will experience more close calls than when you are a seasoned rider who develop a sixth sense and can better anticipate traffic flow/movement. Considering your newness to riding, it is likely better to stop (for now at least) because of family pressure but also because you have been overly sensitized, and therefore may not have the best rider reflexes to cope with a difficult situation on the road (ie. nerves).

I gave up riding for a few years because of some close calls that made me question why I rode. But in those days bikes really were invisible to cars. When I got back into it, I found that driver awareness is generally much better and so feel much safer than ever.

Yeah, thanks everyone for your comments and opinions. I put the bike in storage at my grandparent's garage, for now, I really do wanna ride again but I'm just going to wait it out. Next season will see with my family of what they think and make a decision.

That's called a knee jerk reaction. Wait it out. Best is when you are fully indpendent. That's why I moved out when I was 19.

Ask your family if they will all sell their cars because people die in car accidents.
This x1000

NEVER compromise your dreams and your freedom...

My father in law wanted to ride for years(triumph fanboy) now that hes old he has the money, but his vision and his right arm are ****** up and he cant...wishes he did when he had the chance

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I think it comes down to how much you love riding, and being relatively new to riding makes it hard for you to fully assess this.

I grew up riding dirt bikes since 7 and was on the street by 18. I had my share of accidents and close calls, but it was never enough that would get me to stay off the bike for good. I have friends that have sold their bikes since getting married or having kids, but I chock most of those cases up to the riders themselves not having the same intense passion like some of us do.

I'm fortunate enough to have a wife that understands the significance of riding in my life, and she would never be okay with it if I gave it up for reasons and opinions that are not of my own. In fact, we just had our first child (a son), and I've got two street bikes and a dirt bike. Most of my family is slowly coming to understand how motorcycles are a fundamental part of my life – intrinsic to my happiness. All my wife asks is that I be as safe as I can be, and that's what I do. I'm not going to lie, having a son has put a new perspective in my life, but if anything its strengthened my desire to ride.

I hope that one day he'll be into riding as well. At the same time it's a catch 22, as I'm petrified knowing how dangerous it can be. But if he gets the fulfillment – sense of excitement, sense of adventure, sense of peace, and sense of community I get from riding along with a cautious outlook, I will do nothing but promote it in his life. There are so many other things that can take us out of this world, so don't let your passions dissolve by the fears brought on by others.

Assess why you ride, and how important it is for you. All the best with your decision, and my condolences to your uncle.

Last edited:
Thanks, man and congrats on the new kid. I do as well have had a couple close calls but nothing to get me from riding. I do love riding and it has become a passion of mine ever since I was 12 when I rode little pocket bikes and 50cc mini bikes. I wish I had family that would just accept bikes which they did but until this happened now everyone is just negative about it. Thanks for the opinion and everything good luck in parenting and everything ill keep you updated if anything happens.

Ride in honour of your uncle.

RIP

and obviously ride safe

Being new to riding, you will experience more close calls than when you are a seasoned rider who develop a sixth sense and can better anticipate traffic flow/movement. Considering your newness to riding, it is likely better to stop (for now at least) because of family pressure but also because you have been overly sensitized, and therefore may not have the best rider reflexes to cope with a difficult situation on the road (ie. nerves).

I gave up riding for a few years because of some close calls that made me question why I rode. But in those days bikes really were invisible to cars. When I got back into it, I found that driver awareness is generally much better and so feel much safer than ever.

Gotta say it's crazy though how we kinda "see it coming" without knowing its coming, it's like we feel the person is moving his hands on the steering wheel, through the tinted rear glass, or we see the shade of the reflection of the driver turning in his sideview mirror which alerts us to possible movement. Sometimes i question it, but it's kept me safer on the bike and also in the car.

Those younger years of riding might be quite valuable in actually saving your life along the line... which is why id say to keep riding but obviously it's up to you :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom