Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth | GTAMotorcycle.com

Family wants me to sell bike after family members daeth

Hi, everyone so I am in a bit of a situation here. Recently my uncle just passed away in a motorcycle accident On Jane & Bloor (God Rest His Soul) and now my whole family is so worried that they want me to sell my bike. I just got into riding (beginning of May I started riding) and bought my bike. I love it and everything about motorcycles but now they want me to sell. I really don't want to sell it. A family member recommended me this; I could wait a few years until im 25 and more mature and see if I can get a bike plus insurance is lowered (not by much) and go from there. If anyone has been through this type of situation or have any tips/suggestions please comment. Thanks in advance and ride safe!!!

Keep the bike. Live your dreams.
I learned the hard way. I didn't start riding until after my father's death simply out of respect for him. His life ended suddenly and without warning, leaving many of his dreams unfulfilled. He wanted to wait, and it ended up being too late.

Just tell your family that it's a passion of yours, and you really don't want to give it up. You don't want to leave things undone in your own life if something untoward happens.

Hi, everyone so I am in a bit of a situation here. Recently my uncle just passed away in a motorcycle accident On Jane & Bloor (God Rest His Soul) and now my whole family is so worried that they want me to sell my bike. I just got into riding (beginning of May I started riding) and bought my bike. I love it and everything about motorcycles but now they want me to sell. I really don't want to sell it. A family member recommended me this; I could wait a few years until im 25 and more mature and see if I can get a bike plus insurance is lowered (not by much) and go from there. If anyone has been through this type of situation or have any tips/suggestions please comment. Thanks in advance and ride safe!!!

I don't think any of us would be any position to advise you. Since this is a motorcycle forum- the advise would be heavily biased towards not quitting- if that's what you want to hear.

All I can do is share my history. I had been riding in another country for about 17 years, and when I moved to Canada 4 years back- I was itching to get a motorcycle license to start riding here. Every year that I didn't ride, I felt something was missing in my life.

You would probably feel the same way- if you are forced to give up riding. (you would have regrets every time you see a motorcycle ride past you).

I don't get what insurance has to do with your family forcing you to give up riding. (Unless you mentioned it as an additional incentive to stop riding).

That said- I completely empathise with your family members concerns and i am sorry for your uncle's demise.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. BUT...everyone's circumstances are different. You will have to decide for yourself if it worth it to keep hearing from your family about it if you keep riding. Then there's the chance that after you're 25 things don't change and you still get pressured into doing something they want and not your choice.

Last edited:
sorry to hear about your uncle, terrible

of course it depends on your thoughts, and the wishes of family members
guessing by your age you probably don't have dependents
so while the concerns of family are important
it's not the same as losing someone they have a physical need to have around

I started riding at 16 and continued for 10 years until I got married and started a family
I gave it up when my kids were little as it would have too much of a financial and emotional burden if I passed
that and I was too busy with Dad duties: hockey, soccer etc.

got riding again when my kids were teenagers as the situation had changed

to each his/her own, good luck in your decision making

Was this your uncle?

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/07/18/motorcyclist-71-dead-bloor-west-crash/

If so, you just have to look at the box nose on the front of that dump truck to understand why the driver didn't see him. Understanding why accidents happen is a big part of staying alive. With all the negative news about motorcycles and the death of your uncle anyone can see why your relatives are scared. You have to put it in perspective though. Motorcycles on average are safe if you're a cautious rider. There are lots of us who have been riding for many years and we're still here, mainly because we anticipate the risks and take action before something happens. Life isn't much fun if all you do is worry about dying. Some people are afraid of everything and they have no life. Life is for the living. If you don't take on some risk, you won't really be living.

I am aware of the dangers of riding. I know there's an element of luck. It doesn't bother me. I'm very sorry you lost your uncle. At 71 he likely had many great years of riding. RIP.

Last edited:
All families are different. Some can apply more pressure for various reasons. If it was me I would tell my family that I am not going to sell it now, out of respect for my uncle since he obviously loved riding too. But, out of respect for the family, I would park it for a while. Let them all reflect on everything. It also gives you some time to think as well. Its a tough time for everyone.

Every few days when I see my mother, she tells me the same thing:

"I heard there was an accident involving a motorcyclist, the man died. Motorcycles are very dangerous, you have to be stupid to continue riding one ...."

She actually told me about your uncle's death, of course I didn't know who it was at that time. Felt very sorry for him.
It is especially heart breaking when the motorcyclist had zero fault.

The risks are definitely there, and we all understand that they are more dangerous than cars.
Your uncle's collision, in a car, at most would have been a write off and a sore neck. Unfortunately, motorcycle accidents are not as forgiving.

Your family's concerns are valid, it is a risky hobby. There are ways to mitigate the risk, but it will always be there.

Yeah, thats what my dad did. Started riding at 16 road Harleys ever since then had a family stopped. After myself and my bro turned older road again then stopped for good and sold his bike (my inspiration of riding was from him). Thanks for your condolences and thanks, I am going to give it some time.

I didn't get into riding until my two daughters were on their own. When I told them I was taking a course and getting a bike they both expressed their rather large fears complete with examples of accidents they'd seen. I get the fact that I'm the only parent they have left and thought about it very seriously then finally told them both "I can't live your fears" Nor would I want them to live mine. Sorry to here about the OP's uncle.

You're obviously going to get biased responses, but I can't see any reason why you should quit from what you said.

- Biking isn't any more dangerous just because your uncle was recently killed on a bike
- He'd probably want you to keep riding
- It won't help your family come to terms with his passing
- There's no difference between not living your life and being dead (assuming you like it that much, and you accept the risks)
- You're undoubtedly a more cautious rider now than you were before

I didn't get into riding until my two daughters were on their own. When I told them I was taking a course and getting a bike they both expressed their rather large fears complete with examples of accidents they'd seen. I get the fact that I'm the only parent they have left and thought about it very seriously then finally told them both "I can't live your fears" Nor would I want them to live mine. Sorry to here about the OP's uncle.
[Like] button

The one thing I've always said is that you can get killed walking across the street. There are no guarantees of safety. Would rather be doing something I enjoy than not.

Yeah man, that's true. I am definitely going to take all of these responses in and really think about it and ill update you guys if you wanna know lol. Thanks, everyone and for everyone for the condolences. Ride safe

Everything I could have said, has been said.
My condolences to you and your family.
RIP to your uncle.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Back
Top Bottom