Supersport looking Sport-Tourer? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport looking Sport-Tourer?

Well i dont think he meant they are unreliable, but hes done major repairs on them, i don't think he enjoyed them, and they do seem to have a rep for being difficult to work on

I'm on most if not all of the VFR forums, plus my previous mentioned VFR history, I have never heard VFR's having the reputation of being difficult to work on. Quite the opposite infact.
Also, I can't think of any "Major repairs" that are common on a VFR. The only thing I can think of is the valve clearance check on the VTEC model only, and that isn't a "major repair" and it rarely needs to be done.
...and even uncommon major repairs I can't think of. The V4 engine is bulletproof, and I haven't heard of any tranny issues. :confused:

Besides that the normal maintenance on a VFR is a breeze, especially with the SSSA.

Talk about misinformation.

It sounds like ********* but unless things have changed since I've had one, it's true

Wow...well I'm happy for all you Ninja folks for getting a decent rate. :)

I've had two fifth generation VFR's (a '99 and an '01) that I had put about 100,000 km on with zero issues.Best bikes I had ever owned, destined to be a collectable in my opinion.Mine had the gear driven cams which was one of the reasons I liked it.Didnt like the newer Vtec, much more complex with little improvement on performance.Freddy Spencer use to ride one at his race school while all his students rode 600 supersports and litre bikes.Nobody could even come close to him on that bike.

Here you go.

honda-vtr1000.jpg
That was my choice too. ****** on gas, and in desperate need of suspension upgrades are its only downfall. Torquey v-twin engine... and nobody wants to steal it. Not worth much, but goes like stink.

Sv thou wpuld be a nice choice too
b350ca0ac126b6f2aec4bf6891c2ca66.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last I checked VTR1000 was surcharged by at least some companies

What about the GSX1250?

Sport bike looking-ish and quite the sport tourer from what I hear.

Nobody wants to own an old ss, especially the poser crowd. That's why they are good on insurance too

Oh! My apologies. When I meant people over looking them I mean the older model VFRs generations.

...and I don't know what frekey is referring to. Having owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation VFRs...I have wrenched on them all myself and it has mostly been modifications. Rarely repairs.
Besides the occasional R/R you'd be spending more time riding then wrenching. As mentioned before, even valve clearance checks are unnecessary half the time as they are almost always still in spec when checked before 60k kms.

I don't think frekey knows what he is talking about when it comes to VFR's. :rolleyes:

(also, this is the first I'm hearing that they are a "pain to work on". Completely untrue)
I can see the "pain to work on" compared to an inline 4 or parallel twin. Usually pretty tight quarters in and around those v4s. Disclaimer: I only have limited experience with my friends 2002, no other generations lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Oh FYI frekey is looking for a cheap/small dualsport, if anyone has or can find something, feel free to PM him

Nobody wants to own an old ss, especially the poser crowd. That's why they are good on insurance too

Old SS are not good on insurance. My ZX11 still gets surcharged pretty much everywhere. It was cheaper to have full coverage on the Ninja 1000 than it was to have liability on the ZX11

Now THIS is good news....

67278.jpg

There’s good news for all the Honda fans out there, of which there are plenty. (The Red Riders are the most popular brand with millenials right now, after all.) The factory has announced that it will be adding the naked CB650F to its 2018 stateside lineup. The CB650F runs a 649 cc, transverse inline-four mill that the factory’s sales prose says is torquey. The European model has about 46 pound-feet and 89 HP, and I’m guessing the U.S. model will be the same. A naked bike, the CB650F naturally lets it all hang out with little in the way of body panels to hide the sculpted headers, twin-spar frame and all the rest. Showa “Dual Bending Valve” forks support the front end with better-than-vanilla feel in spite of its non-adjustable nature, something Harley customers have enjoyed for a few years now and more manufacturers are getting on board.

and the R version for the sport seating

111116-2017-honda-CBR650F-f.jpg

Last edited:
Now THIS is good news....

Surprisingly they don't seem to sell that well here. The CBR650F has been out since 2014...I've owned one since then but haven't ever really seen another on the road, and only know 1 other person with one. The naked CB650F has also been out since 2014 overseas, but I guess we'll finally see it here in 2018, which is good news for people who like that style of bike.

Personally I think it is a great bike for the street, but I guess given the slightly high price tag, many would rather go to the used 600cc SS market and get something 'cheaper'...although the added insurance cost would likely catch them in the end.

Yeah knowing honda it will be overpriced, heavy and underpowered compared to the competition

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

and go forever

458 lb 90 hp - not shabby at all on a 650.
$9200

vs 420 lb and 100 hp on an R6
$12k

e used 600cc SS market and get something 'cheaper'...although the added insurance cost would likely catch them in the end.

There is the problem....the CBF1000 insures just about the same $550 vs $580 as my 650 Vstrom.

and the CBF650r certainly qualifies as a sport tourer with SS look.

Last edited:
and go forever

$9200

$12k

There is the problem....the CBF1000 insures just about the same $550 vs $580 as my 650 Vstrom.

Why is that pointy front end on the R so ugly though :(

and go forever

$9200

$12k

The R6 is closer to 120 hp

Where did you get the price for the new 650? Is it going to be the same as the old one? Because it is not available at the honda website

Also keep in mind, that for 9000$ you can get an fz09 or a z900(the fz being lighter and more powerful, and the Z having more power)
At this point i dont think honda has anything over the other Japanese bikes in terms of reliability or build quality

Both are also hella fun(with the FZ just knocking my socks off)

Last edited:
Are you missing the point .....OP is looking for a sport tourer that looks like an SS.

The FZ9 - $9749 is not that, nor is the Z900 which is a litre naked bike. Insurance is in play there too.
Looks like the FZ9 has some needed corrections done....still not an SS style.

The FJ09 IS a sport tourer but way more money and not SS styled.

The Ninja's are SS and way more money.
https://www.kawasaki.ca/products/model-line

Honda's last...move on.

Back
Top Bottom