Supersport looking Sport-Tourer? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport looking Sport-Tourer?

Are there any bikes that like being under 4000 RPM that aren't cruisers? Mine will stall if I try to ride below 4k. My 650R would audibly vibrate if you rode below 4K.
Should look at a the lowrider s, its really a hooligans cruiser, with mucho torque and pull for days

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Should look at a the lowrider s, its really a hooligans cruiser, with mucho torque and pull for days

It's a cruiser and a Harley. Isn't that what they're known for?

This one is more reminiscent of an fz 09, i rode almost every harley i could get my hands on, this one was the most exciting thing i could find, go ahead and test ride it yourself if you wish

Are there any bikes that like being under 4000 RPM that aren't cruisers? Mine will stall if I try to ride below 4k. My 650R would audibly vibrate if you rode below 4K.

any V-Twin or single feel great at 4000 rpm

In my examples I gave one is a single and the other is a twin.
But your single is a high strung 2t and your twin was parallel. He's referring to a single like a dr650 or a vtwin like a sv or Vstrom.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

For me, the sportiest looking ST bikes are the Ninja 1000 and the Suzuki GSX-S 1000F. Both have fantastic engines, breaks and suspension but more comfortable ergos and should be insurance friendly. At least friendlier.

But your single is a high strung 2t and your twin was parallel. He's referring to a single like a dr650 or a vtwin like a sv or Vstrom.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

thank you,

also parallel twins vibrate......alot.....its just what they do

Why are sport touring bikes typically heavier than ss bikes?

Fair question. Usually it comes down to cost. Example - the Ninja 1000/Z1000 motor is recycled from the last gen Z1000, which is recycled from the ZX9R. It's not exactly the same but the roots of the design go back like two decades. On my ZX11, the engine design goes back to the original Ninja 900 (only about ten years between them, which is weird to think about) despite the updates and the extra power.

You can have things that aren't old designs, but are still cheaper to make and cost less. The Ninja 1000 has a large metal gas tank, for example. The FZ6R has a steel frame, which is cheaper to make than an aluminum one but is also heavier. Or things that don't even cost less, but serve street bikes better (e.g. adjustable windscreen, heavier engine balancing, bigger stator, more realistic passenger seats, etc)

This one is more reminiscent of an fz 09, i rode almost every harley i could get my hands on, this one was the most exciting thing i could find, go ahead and test ride it yourself if you wish

Doesn't look anything like an FZ09 to me. Looks like any other cruiser as far as I can see.

But I'd give it a ride if I had the chance.

The engine sure is snappy, and wild, but it does weigh a ton, and doesnt handle like it, if you wanted an fz 09, you'd be better off getting actual the thing

if you liked cruisers with balls, you'd want the lowrider s

Vfr800 in Honda racing colours.

Yum. Good choice.

From forum posts and the few "bike meets" I have been to, I noticed the VFR is a hard sell to the general bike public. 90% of the riders I meet don't know anything about VFRs and have never heard of them. The few that do know are quick to sing their praise.

I guess it's better that way. Keeps the "Gentleman's Sportbike" out of the hands of the hooligans.

With the looks, the V4 engine, Gear Driven Cams, single sided swingarm, and the fact that these bikes regularly see over 100,000kms and rarely need valve adjustments...I can't see why they are such a hard sell to people. :confused:

I purchased a new 2016 zx1000 Ninja last year, ABS, traction control, so easy to ride, and I think goes like snot. Best part..... Insurance 780.00 per year.
Considered a touring bike by the mafia.... ooops I mean the insurance companies.

I purchased a new 2016 zx1000 Ninja last year, ABS, traction control, so easy to ride, and I think goes like snot. Best part..... Insurance 780.00 per year.
Considered a touring bike by the mafia.... ooops I mean the insurance companies.

I'm surprised and slightly doubtful the insurance companies rate that as a touring bike. Especially with the name "Ninja" in there. :/

Yum. Good choice.

From forum posts and the few "bike meets" I have been to, I noticed the VFR is a hard sell to the general bike public. 90% of the riders I meet don't know anything about VFRs and have never heard of them. The few that do know are quick to sing their praise.

I guess it's better that way. Keeps the "Gentleman's Sportbike" out of the hands of the hooligans.

With the looks, the V4 engine, Gear Driven Cams, single sided swingarm, and the fact that these bikes regularly see over 100,000kms and rarely need valve adjustments...I can't see why they are such a hard sell to people. :confused:
Several reasons,

-some people seem to like the older gens for mechanical reasons, and they have not kept certain mods on the new ones

-It might have been a great bike when it first came out but now it seems heavy, slower than the competition, and at 14k overpriced

-Maintaining, i spoke to frekey about this(as they are known to be a pain to work on) and asked him since hes worked on several, he said he wouldn't own one, simply because he wants to spend more time riding than wrenching

Several reasons,

-some people seem to like the older gens for mechanical reasons, and they have not kept certain mods on the new ones

-It might have been a great bike when it first came out but now it seems heavy, slower than the competition, and at 14k overpriced

-Maintaining, i spoke to frekey about this(as they are known to be a pain to work on) and asked him since hes worked on several, he said he wouldn't own one, simply because he wants to spend more time riding than wrenching

Oh! My apologies. When I meant people over looking them I mean the older model VFRs generations.

...and I don't know what frekey is referring to. Having owned a 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th generation VFRs...I have wrenched on them all myself and it has mostly been modifications. Rarely repairs.
Besides the occasional R/R you'd be spending more time riding then wrenching. As mentioned before, even valve clearance checks are unnecessary half the time as they are almost always still in spec when checked before 60k kms.

I don't think frekey knows what he is talking about when it comes to VFR's. :rolleyes:

(also, this is the first I'm hearing that they are a "pain to work on". Completely untrue)

Last edited:
Well i dont think he meant they are unreliable, but hes done major repairs on them, i don't think he enjoyed them, and they do seem to have a rep for being difficult to work on, frankly i think because hes working on bikes so much, if he were to get a bike, it would be something that is essentially bulletproof

Last edited:
I'm surprised and slightly doubtful the insurance companies rate that as a touring bike. Especially with the name "Ninja" in there. :/

It sounds like ********* but unless things have changed since I've had one, it's true

Back
Top Bottom