Supersport looking Sport-Tourer? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Supersport looking Sport-Tourer?

Paulee

With Insurance premiums on Supersports in Ontario extremely high and many ss riders switching to Supermotos, Nakeds and Sport-Tourers, I had a discussion with a few riders the other day on which "Sport-Tourer" looks the most similar to a SuperSport. Sv650s, VFRs, Ninja 650s (2017) we're a among a few that came up.

Which Sport Touring bike do you think ascetically most compares to the average SS?

My vote goes to the Sv650s!

ducati supersport

022017-Ducati-Supersport-7-image08.jpg

Cbr1100xx

Why do I have a feeling Insurance companies here arent going to classify this as "Sport Touring"
My thoughts exactly, ducati naming department should be scrapped

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Ducati Supersport, CBR650F, Ninja 650R, FZ6R, SV650, VRF800, GSX-F, Ninja 1000, etc

The biggest difference, looks-wise, is most times they'll have the clip-ons mounted above the triple tree vs below, meaning less of a fetal position when riding. Outside of that, less power than SS, typically heavier, and more standard brakes and suspension. Essentially everything (and typically more) you need for riding on the street at a much lower cost.

Last edited:
I think the new VFR800 is quite pretty.

Have you spoken to insurance companies to see which of these they would actually categorize as a "Sport-touring" bike?

In my experience none of the sport touring bikes I have owned are categorized as such by insurance. They are all "sport" bikes to them.

Yes be sure to check the status of the bike with insurers before you assume, if its fast and has plastic its better to be safe

Also i don't think they make any more vfrs

i took the 2016 FZ-10 out last year, and at the time i liked it but i had a few gripes with it... but seeing that some of them are just things i would most likely swap out anyway...i think ide reconsider it.
i never checked how it is insurance wise...seeing that i can i probably should lol

i really think i want to keep my SS and get a cruiser, not sure if i really want sport touring or not...

Ninja 1000 is by far the most supersport looking (current) sport tourer.

ninja_1000_2014.jpg

VFR800 doesn't look that sporty, it's not very aggressive but I'd probably give it a 2nd place (in a look-a-like category). I don't believe any insurance companies classify Ducati SS as an SS, it's also not exactly designed to be a tourer at all.

They do. Though I don't see them listed on the Honda Canada website, I see new ones for sale at dealerships regularly.
Must be old leftover models then, id have to double check but pretty sure they arent making new ones anymore
Ninja 1000 is by far the most supersport looking (current) sport tourer.

ninja_1000_2014.jpg

VFR800 doesn't look that sporty, it's not very aggressive but I'd probably give it a 2nd place (in a look-a-like category). I don't believe any insurance companies classify Ducati SS as an SS, it's also not exactly designed to be a tourer at all.
Don't think they make ninja 1000s anymore either, also have a gut feeling a lot of ppl consider it sport

Ah thats right, they do in fact still make ninja 1000s

Back
Top Bottom