Sportbikes and uphill battles | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes and uphill battles

2 years is not long enough ...

case in point, my co-worker has had his license for 20+ years ... though he hasn't had a bike insured under his name for 6 years. 3 weeks ago he just bought a CBR1000 brand new and is paying $2000 / year. his broker told him next year he'll be at $1500 and the year after will be $1100 ... the broker re-did the quote if he had kept continuous insurance on for those 6 years (so 20+ years continuous insurance) and it would be only $750 / year. I told him when he sold his bike he should just buy a 50cc scooter and keep the 2-wheeler insured for $100 / year and he'd be way ahead right now...even if he paid $600 for basic insurance on a 50cc scooter, he'd be saving himself $2450 in the next 3 years alone in insurance cost.

in this case the lesson ? don't let the 'continuous' insurance lapse ... its just cheaper in the end then cancelling and re-insuring later.
I would be elated beyond measure if I get quoted 2k per year for a liter SS. Presently, I was quoted close to 5500 per year. 2k is a deal to me.

I already spoke to an Allstate agent. Im looking at around 1500 per year given I bundle my home/car. I'm more than happy with the quote.

I don't plan on letting my continuous insurance lapse. Just that I got my Canadian M license quite late (being a student etc), so not much history here.

Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
When I was deciding on a new street bike, I got a quote to insure a new GSXR-1000. I was 43 y/o at the time, and live in Brampton. TD Primmum quoted me just under $800/year for just PLPD on it. I ended up with an older Z1000 instead and I'm paying about $600/year for full coverage on it, including collision and theft.

I'm going to guess having affordable insurance on a 1000 has a lot more to do with age, how many years you've had a full M Class, and how many tickets you have (in my case, I'm older, had a full M for 10 years, full G for over 20 years, and have 0 tickets), rather than the bike itself.

continuous years of coverage + age seem to be the biggest factors

continuous years of coverage + age seem to be the biggest factors

I think its that plus continuous coverage + age + no claims ... insurance companies don't want to pay out ...

Right, my assumption is if they have to pay out, they just drop you, thus ending the continuous coverage

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Right, my assumption is if they have to pay out, they just drop you, thus ending the continuous coverage

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Total scam. What good is insurance if we can't use it in time of need. Govt needs to step in and regulate it or make it public. Sucks to lIve in the GTA.

I'm even contemplating moving out of ON, but job is getting in the way.

I lived in Alberta for a few years and I couldn't believe the difference when it comes to bikes. Gen1 zx10, I didn't have a bike licence and insurance was $450 for the year, lol. After I got my class6 (M) it dropped to $444. Also no tax on the bike as it's used and no safty as it had one when first bought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard of people registering the bike to their parents address out in places like Erin or Newmarket to get lower rates. Even though they live in the GTA.

I wonder how smart that is and if they could get caught.

If the make a claim and the ins. co. decides to investigate, they may deny the claim and they are SOL....misrepresentation etc.

I have heard of people registering the bike to their parents address out in places like Erin or Newmarket to get lower rates. Even though they live in the GTA.

I wonder how smart that is and if they could get caught.
Newmarket is considered part of GTA (York region), and rates are not that much better. I live there.

If the make a claim and the ins. co. decides to investigate, they may deny the claim and they are SOL....misrepresentation etc.

I think the logic there is to not make a claim at all

They'd be happy to just ride on a cheaper rate, and if they(and the bike) walk away unscathed in the event of a crash then, win win?

Honestly with the way things are in the GTA, its not even worth it to make a claim even if its legit,

unless its something serious, (like life altering injuries or bike is totaled)

Staying with the theme of uphill battles and sport bikes...

Its almost renewal time, and i spoke with multiple brokers/agents and people still hold the GSX against the GSX-S750...i got cheaper/better quotes for bikes that are more powerful simply because it didnt have certain letters in it ;)

Staying with the theme of uphill battles and sport bikes...

Its almost renewal time, and i spoke with multiple brokers/agents and people still hold the GSX against the GSX-S750...i got cheaper/better quotes for bikes that are more powerful simply because it didnt have certain letters in it ;)

Check with Ronn Calderon @ Dalton Timmis for the GSX-S750, he gave me a great quote on one when I was deciding what to ride. They should be right in line with a Kawasaki Z650 as they are both under 750cc.

I think the logic there is to not make a claim at all

They'd be happy to just ride on a cheaper rate, and if they(and the bike) walk away unscathed in the event of a crash then, win win?

Honestly with the way things are in the GTA, its not even worth it to make a claim even if its legit,

unless its something serious, (like life altering injuries or bike is totaled)

That's the tricky part....never know when it's going to be a major incident.

Does allstate only insure 30 year old + for motorcycles ? I bought a ninja 1000cc sport tourer and im turning 25 in 2 weeks

Does allstate only insure 30 year old + for motorcycles ? I bought a ninja 1000cc sport tourer and im turning 25 in 2 weeks

Depends,

If they consider it a sport bike they want full M for x number of years and over 30...

Usually they only play with you if your bringing car + home + bike

Depends,

If they consider it a sport bike they want full M for x number of years and over 30...

Usually they only play with you if your bringing car + home + bike
Bundling auto and home is the only way Allstate would write a motorcycle. I called a few brokers and none were willing to do a standalone motorcyle policy.

One broker told me I need to be atleast 30yrs old for them to write a SS, another told me he could insure me now (I'm 28). Unfortunately my auto and home had already renewed, so now I'm stuck till next year.

07 Gixxer 1K - $800/year with statefarm
09 R1 - $1000/year statefarm
14 HP4 - $1000-1700 year statefarm/intact
13 1000rr - $700/year Meloche

who buys them? lot of people and I don't think that I'll never be one without a liter bike as long as I can ride.

Check with Ronn Calderon @ Dalton Timmis for the GSX-S750, he gave me a great quote on one when I was deciding what to ride. They should be right in line with a Kawasaki Z650 as they are both under 750cc.

I spoke to him, actually got a decent quote for it, after looking around more, turns out, only half the people hold the bias against the Gsx-s750...the other half can tell the difference between an R and an S

07 Gixxer 1K - $800/year with statefarm
09 R1 - $1000/year statefarm
14 HP4 - $1000-1700 year statefarm/intact
13 1000rr - $700/year Meloche

who buys them? lot of people and I don't think that I'll never be one without a liter bike as long as I can ride.

You must be really old, or really experienced, or live far from the GTA

Or all of the above.

Back
Top Bottom