Sportbikes and uphill battles | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes and uphill battles

All things be relative, I see plenty of toys being trailered or ridden throughout the year. I'm sure here is enough folks with enough money to justify keeping new models of SS coming out year after year.

A friend ditched his lounge cruiser for a Red Honda litre SS this year and has rode it more this season than the past 10 years the garage queen has seen. Has the disposable income I suppose and it puts a smile on his face. Didn't ask about insurance rates but, I know he's north of 40 years old and been licensed and insured for at least a dozen years. So, I'm sure it's not terrible. Then again, he doesn't live in the gta either.

I have never had insurance rates drop after I turned 26. I'm 34 now and I still have to shop around every so often as the rates eventually go up for no reason.
Being married didn't make a lick of difference. Biggest change was when I moved out of GTA but after a year they found an excuse to increase rates again.

I have a 2000 VFR800. I was with Novex/Intact for a few years but my bike insurance went up to $2,000/year. Their excuse was that rates are just going up. That's with a Loyalty, multi-veh, and home insurance discount. Now I'm with Echelon and I'm dishing out $1300/year.

I can't imagine what my insurance rates would be with a larger CC bike that is also a SS. :confused:
Surprisingly enough, my renewal with intact this year dropped my rate by almost $200 a year. I'm 28 and located in the GTA.

I'm thinking of taking my car/home/motorcycle to Allstate next year. Their rates seem decent.

Sent from my LG-D852 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Last edited:
Surprisingly enough, my renewal with intact this year dropped my rate by almost $200 a year. I'm 28 and located in the GTA.

I'm thinking of taking my car/home/motorcycle to Allstate next year. Their rates seem decent.

Do it, my Allstate agent squeaked me in at 27 with a SS because I brought over my car and house. Dropped my ss rate from 3800 to 1100 and my car from 2100 to 1800.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Do it, my Allstate agent squeaked me in at 27 with a SS because I brought over my car and house. Dropped my ss rate from 3800 to 1100 and my car from 2100 to 1800.

I already tried to do it, got a great quote too ... Only to learn two days later that I need to be 30 to insure a SS. Maybe because I only have 1 year of motorcycle insurance history.

Although I have to say even though the motorcycle quote was great, my car and home quotes were significantly higher with Allstate than what I'm paying with Belair currently.

Yea, I got super lucky apparently getting insured at 27 with them. Wish I could give you the guys name who I talked to, Jeff something, he's listed on the boards here.

I already tried to do it, got a great quote too ... Only to learn two days later that I need to be 30 to insure a SS. Maybe because I only have 1 year of motorcycle insurance history.

Although I have to say even though the motorcycle quote was great, my car and home quotes were significantly higher with Allstate than what I'm paying with Belair currently.

They gotta rip you off somewhere, cant win all battles, crunch the numbers, see if you win out at the bottom line

Ok..

I bought my first (real) sport bike in 2005. It was a 2001 R6. I had one minor 14 over ticket and I was paying 900 for just the bike w/ a car moved there as well.

I switched to a 08 hayabusa in 2008.
My insurance stayed at $1400 till 2013 when dropped to $1200. (no tickets since 05) When state farm was sold I switched to Aviva and paid... $1200

In June of this year i hit a deer with the 08 hayabusa and totaled it. (killed the deer, but I was uninjured)

The insurance paid out and I bought a 2016 (new, off year) Ducati monster 1200 s.

I asked for and received all options available to me for my insurance, including replacement value insurance.

With all options and $500 deductible I'm $1300 yearly w/ a clean drinking record (deer was not at fault)

I'm 40yo, male, single and living in oshawa.

1) I am curious, how many people are presently or have in the past ridden 1000cc SS bikes?

who the **** keeps buying them? Who is riding 1000cc sport bikes in this day and age?

Paul_RR from GTAmotorcycle rides nothing but 1000cc sports bikes and this guy is or was under 25 years old. (He refuses to group ride with me because he knows I will cream him in the twisties).

Who keeps buying them? EVERYBODY in the world does, where there is NO insurance or insurance is only $275/year like in Texas. Do you think the rest of the world is an over-priced nanny state like Canada?

In Saskatchewan....you pay as you need. Had a R1, cost 170 a month. Don't get charged for the year. Just pay for the season and cancel. Traded in for a s1000R... naked is so much more comfortable.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

08 CBR1000, bought for 6K from a neighbour who owns a dealership. I pay about $700 a year for full coverage via Allstate, they also insure both my cars and house so it's discounted. I'm 31 and live in the GTA. Prior to turning 30 I was paying $1600 for a 600 but I had no bundle discounts.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I'm paying $2000.i know its robery,but it is worth it for the enjoyment. have checked with m&w on line and got a quote for $1100 full coverage so i will be changing insurance co next renewal. only pay $600 for the 1100 v star, but boy is it slow LOL

Why wait for your renewal? Get the savings now. They will prorate your coverage and give you the discount.

Paul_RR from GTAmotorcycle rides nothing but 1000cc sports bikes and this guy is or was under 25 years old. (He refuses to group ride with me because he knows I will cream him in the twisties).

Who keeps buying them? EVERYBODY in the world does, where there is NO insurance or insurance is only $275/year like in Texas. Do you think the rest of the world is an over-priced nanny state like Canada?

That might not be the only reason why someone wouldn't want to ride with you.

My 2003 SV1000 costs me $375 / year for liability+comphrenesive (for the theft coverage) ...

I looked at a Gixxer1000 for kicks (one came up cheap I saw) ... got a quote for $550 / year for liability+comp on it ...

I'm 38 and a clean riding record for the past 10 years ...

Ah, good to know there are more options out there for SS.

I worry there may be a time coming where no insurer in the GTA would write SS.

I'm hoping to get one next year.

I think no insurer will ever write a decent policy to someone who has little experience (and I say little would be 5 yrs or less) ...

I think no insurer will ever write a decent policy to someone who has little experience (and I say little would be 5 yrs or less) ...
I don't have that much experience riding in Canada unfortunately. But Allstate seems promising given I bring my car/home, and I'll be turning 30 next year. I would complete 2 years of continuous motorcycle insurance by next year as well.

I'm not concerned about my ability to handle a SS. I have been riding for over 10 years.

I don't have that much experience riding in Canada unfortunately. But Allstate seems promising given I bring my car/home, and I'll be turning 30 next year. I would complete 2 years of continuous motorcycle insurance by next year as well.

I'm not concerned about my ability to handle a SS. I have been riding for over 10 years.

2 years is not long enough ...

case in point, my co-worker has had his license for 20+ years ... though he hasn't had a bike insured under his name for 6 years. 3 weeks ago he just bought a CBR1000 brand new and is paying $2000 / year. his broker told him next year he'll be at $1500 and the year after will be $1100 ... the broker re-did the quote if he had kept continuous insurance on for those 6 years (so 20+ years continuous insurance) and it would be only $750 / year. I told him when he sold his bike he should just buy a 50cc scooter and keep the 2-wheeler insured for $100 / year and he'd be way ahead right now...even if he paid $600 for basic insurance on a 50cc scooter, he'd be saving himself $2450 in the next 3 years alone in insurance cost.

in this case the lesson ? don't let the 'continuous' insurance lapse ... its just cheaper in the end then cancelling and re-insuring later.

Back
Top Bottom