Sportbikes and uphill battles | GTAMotorcycle.com

Sportbikes and uphill battles

bigpoppa

1) I am curious, how many people are presently or have in the past ridden 1000cc SS bikes?
And how old are/were you and approx how much did/do you pay?

2)Is it always going to be an uphill battle to get them insured? Do you ever as a rider reach a point, where companies look at you differently, and say "Hey this guy has lots of experience, has been insured for years without incident, and is old enough/mature enough, lets give him a decent quote!!"

3)On the flip side, who the **** keeps buying them? Who is riding 1000cc sport bikes in this day and age?
Why do they keep releasing and making new ones? There must be demand or they wouldn't be releasing them...

Honda just released the new cbr1000rr, suzuki also released their new and improved gsxr1000, yamaha and kawi stepped up years ago...
so why? what is the point?

Do some experienced riders just bite the bullet? (**** it, i've been riding for many years now, and this is the lowest im gonna get) and cough up the cash?

I see some of these bikes and it makes me wonder.

How can they afford the insurance on that....especially after BUYING that?! :confused2:

I had liter sport bikes from when i was 20 to last year at 42 never had an insurance issue never paid more than 1200 a year. Last one was a Ducati 1198 just got bored of having one in the street. Switched to a big adventure bike 1190 ktm and a dirt bike and have never been happier with my bike choices and insurance went down to to approx 800 per year. I did have to tell my insurance company to go back to underwriting and come up with a better rate when i had sport bikes once.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Steve's KTM is pretty sweet. That motor... I'm a fan of transparency when it comes to insurance, so

1.) 08 CBR 1000RR, track only. Started as a street bike in '09. I think it was around $900 and change when I was 25, back when State Farm was reasonable. At 29, with a clean record I went to Allstate which was $750. Quoted a new R1-M out of curiosity last month which came in at $650/year. Not sure how a new R1 is cheaper than an 08 CBR, but maybe the increased capital cost of litre bikes now keeps them away from the young ones?

2.) 2010 VFR1200, $770/year. After a couple years of a 1000cc bike on the street, it really belongs at the track. VFR is a couch by comparison. Still has the grunt, a sweet V4. A bit heavy, but much better suited for street use.

Im just jaded from ont, if im gonna move, i might as well move to where the cost of living is cheaper(to another province entirely)

been riding an ss for 4 years now,was off bikes for 20 years,(family stuff), found cruisers hurt my lower back, tried an 07 R1,loved the excelleration and other than the added pressure on your wrists no trouble with anything else, been on a 1700km trip last year on it and was in no more pain than everyone else on there cruisers. I'm 57 not in the best shape i also own a 03 1100 v star so i can take the wife for rides, but i love the speed of my sport bike.just purchased a 16 R1m and will be doing a trip up to Wawa and Sault Ste Marie in August

Impressive, how much do you pay for the r1?

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

I'm paying $2000.i know its robery,but it is worth it for the enjoyment. have checked with m&w on line and got a quote for $1100 full coverage so i will be changing insurance co next renewal. only pay $600 for the 1100 v star, but boy is it slow LOL

now all i have to do is be 60, and move out of Gta to get a liter bike :(

now all i have to do is be 60, and move out of Gta to get a liter bike :(

Well, after 25, the benefits level off. The difference between a 26-year old and a 60-year old is negligible. Your postal code is the biggest factor after age and driving/claims history.

Things you can do:

Live in a nice neighbourhood and your rates go down: Forest Hills > Brampton
Married > Single
Estrogen > Testosterone (but changing this is probably a step too far for most people)

interesting, i am married, but i dont recall my agent asking me that....perhaps once the renewal comes up..

or better yet, just get something small for the street and save the liter bike for the track where 1.) you can use it 2.) no insurance required

I look at it this way...

If you wanna play you gotta pay.

Also... 'Most recent bike purchase was north of $21k.
Am I going to whine about the $900 to insure it?
It's just part of the deal when it comes to any vehicle.
I'm not "rich", but... Lots of guys have $$ they're willing to spend and don't have to care about what their insurance costs... They just pay it.
Those guys are buying/riding whatever the ef they want to.

Both fair points,

really it was just a curiosity factor, i(like most pragmatic people) would never buy a ss, let alone one of these new liter bikes

you dont hear Lambo owners bitching about the service costs, they knew what they were getting into, kinda the same thing with litre SS bikes and insurance

IMHO they are terrible street bikes anyways, id get a scooter as a street ride before id get an SS

Last edited:
I have never had insurance rates drop after I turned 26. I'm 34 now and I still have to shop around every so often as the rates eventually go up for no reason.
Being married didn't make a lick of difference. Biggest change was when I moved out of GTA but after a year they found an excuse to increase rates again.

I have a 2000 VFR800. I was with Novex/Intact for a few years but my bike insurance went up to $2,000/year. Their excuse was that rates are just going up. That's with a Loyalty, multi-veh, and home insurance discount. Now I'm with Echelon and I'm dishing out $1300/year.

I can't imagine what my insurance rates would be with a larger CC bike that is also a SS. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom