re-Waterproofing old gear or new textile that's not waterproof | GTAMotorcycle.com

re-Waterproofing old gear or new textile that's not waterproof

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Not expecting miracles here as truly waterproof even new is a tough goal.

But the reviews of stuff like Niki-wax and Revivex which Goretex recommends are so all over the place I thought I'd ask for personal experience.

There is both wash-in ....which I'd like for my Icon rain jacket which is dirty and losing it's waterproofing ( it's PVX and should be waterproof period ) and for things like my 501 tactical pants that are starting to lose their initial water resistance.

I basically want something that will resist getting wet a bit by beading up water on the surface. My 501s did initially - they had some sort of teflon treatment.

Anyone with direct experience?

Back in the dim, dark, distant past both Barbour and Belstaff made 'proofing compound'- a kind of wax that you'd warm up then brush on their waxed cotton jackets to reseal them.
I didn't have any luck finding any direct links, maybe you can do better ?

I use nikwax on my textile suit and gore-tex cycling jacket. I purchased the wash and wax on Amazon plus the spray bottle for touch-ups. I have no complaints on its performance, works as advertised. All I can say is try it, at the worst you'll be out $60 or so.

you'd warm up then brush on their waxed cotton jackets to reseal them

That sounds like Sno-Seal I have for my boots. Would be tedious on a jacket.

After reading reviews etc I figured I'd try this

Granger's GRF74 Clothing Repel 300 Ml
CDN$ 16.00

https://www.amazon.ca/Grangers-GRF7...UTF8&qid=1500734555&sr=1-10&keywords=grangers

Grangers Performance Wash, 300-Milliliter
CDN$ 12.00

and free same day shipping.
ONe specific jacket I want to try these on ...it's a $100 jacket that I like so getting it clean and the waterproofing restored would be worth while.

I'll use the Repel on my 501 jeans too. Guess maybe do one load with all three items
Wash first
The Repel.

Useful on a rainy Saturday morning

I've used the nik wax dabber on my motoport mesh suit and warmnsafe carbon heated gloves. I used it to try and improve the water resistance for a long ride a few years ago. The ride ended up being a week of heavy rains, but at the start of the trip it worked quite well. I'd guess it's ok for mild water resistance but anything heavier and you're getting wet.

Maybe using the DuPont wax chain lube would work��

Hehe ....there is a lot of stuff out there but reviews vary from fantastic to doesn't work....

If this round restores my Icon PDX 2 jacket then I would be pleased...it's polyurethane....does not breathe and should not have stopped being waterproof. We'll see.

I'd like to get some additional rain resistance on my 501 jeans as I often will just keep riding in light showers like today and any resistance is good as opposed to soaking in.....

Shane has it - over time / heavier rain = no luck. Even goretex fails over time where the fabric bends/creases.

FWIW, I've tried the 'camp dry' spray - cheaper than the high tech products you list. I've also tried rubbing bees wax on leather and melting it in (hair dryer).

Beeswax is what Snowseal is.

My Scott Goretex jacket and my First Gear Gortex gloves are dry - period even tho the outer layer gets wet ...you don't. One reason you need a layer even with the Gortex jacket.

When it's warm tho I generally stick with non water proof gear - mesh that dries quickly. I'm really mostly looking for resistance at this point.
My inner Jor Rocket is waterproof tho the outer looks like a bedraggled cat when soaked I'm toasty and dry inside the liner.....best $50 I've spent along those lines.

That liner will work with the new Honda jacket I got but I'd like the Honda jacket to not be absorptive.
HondaSuperSport_WHTREDBLK_frnt3qtr-copy.jpg

Want to get water to bead on this even tho I know will eventually get soaked.....I'll still be dry inside.

Have used the aerosol silicone spray meant for camping gear and it worked well. Dries overnight, does not discolor anything and water beads off nicely

Ran the wash on the Icon jacket, then ran the re-waterproof stuff and gently tumble dried on low heat.
Really did a nice job of renewing the finish and look....will see if it's actually made the PVX waterproof again.

Back
Top Bottom