Make a will due to riding? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Make a will due to riding?

huhsure

Obviously everyone who rides understands the risks and rides in a way that they deem acceptable. Im not one of those people who are afraid of the risks or whatever, and I never really plan to quit riding. Its all Ive really have. But I guess the thought of dieing and leaving my family in a cluster **** is pretty ******. Has anyone made a will or written something in case something happens? If so what was the process and cost of it like? I might of just trusted a friend but im not sure that would be able to be legally acted upon, and that would involve me actually having a friend.

It makes good sense to have a will whether you are a rider or not. Without one, your estate goes to your next of kin, and that may not be what you want. It's not expensive to draw up a will (at least I don't remember it being expensive) and it's nice to have the piece of mind knowing that your worldly possessions will go to whomever you wish.

That being said, if you don't have life insurance and you die, you may still be leaving your family in a jam. You have to check with your insurance policy what the pay out is if you are killed. If it is as you say that "riding is all you really have" then I'm assuming you simply need enough to cover any funeral costs so your parents or siblings don't get stuck with the bill. If you have a spouse or dependents then you really should invest in a proper life insurance policy. Something with enough of a payout that should the worst happen they will receive enough money so they can continue on living as they have been.

Ultimately you need to assess your insurance needs and then purchase the coverage you need. Life insurance is very affordable, especially when you are young etc.

Good luck.

Yes.
And what post #2 said.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

When i was 18 and started skydiving my parents insisted i make a will and buy a cemetary plot.

As above.

Everyone should have a will in place. Not having one places undue stress on the people left behind who have to organize and close your affairs.

The other thing I recommend is to tell people what your funeral preferences are. Do you want to be buried in a casket or be cremated etc....... Other thing is to make a list of what your assets are, a simple one pager that lists bank accounts, investment etc..... so people don't have to hunt around looking for things and to update the list as required.

When i was 18 and started skydiving my parents insisted i make a will and buy a cemetary plot.

Skydiving into your cemetery plot, touching down just as you pass away, would be a pretty dramatic funeral.

A will is important, especially if you've got a lot of stuff and/or some relationships you value above others. Most importantly it eliminates the guess work and assumptions after you're gone.

Personally I think a living will is perhaps more important. It specifies stuff like when to pull the plug if you're unable to communicate as well as a person who will act as your advocate.

Having said all that, both are pointless if nobody knows about them or they're locked away in your safety deposit box.

IIRC CPP coughs up $2500 which will rent a post hole digger and buy a length of Sonotube for a vertical burial. (Kidding about the latter part)

Unless you have zero relatives or friends that give a crap and have zero assets, get a will. Not having a will makes everything hard on the ones left behind just when they least need the hassle. Fights over assets and inability to liquidate assets are just starters. Greed sets in if there is no direction. Choose an executor wisely. A simple will isn't that expensive compared to the damage that comes later. I'm guessing a few hundred dollars if you go in fully prepared. Even a drug store will shows some intent.

Tip: Keep it simple and don't try to rule from the grave.

Also appoint a power of attorney for health and one for finances or both. Or just leave things to Wynne or Trudeau.

A lawyer is not necessary to draw up a will, but the more money you are worth, the more sense it makes to use one.
A will should be dated, your signature should be witnessed by two people (non heirs are best) and you should appoint an executor.
Designate who gets what and that's it.

Back
Top Bottom