Bike shaking crazy with windscreen | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike shaking crazy with windscreen

FattBoyy

I put on a quick attach windscreen to my old Fatboy last week.. my plan was to keep it in on for my trip to sturgis... But when the bike hits 100 the bike vibrates so bad that my eyes start seeing doubles (no exaggeration)

I take the windscreen off and all is okay..

Any feedback on this ?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Yeah. Don't use that windscreen on your bike.

That's a free one.

Yep. Same thing on my FJ09. Installed Madstad adjustable touring screen. Played with the settings when I first put it on and when it's all the way up I can't go over 170 without a vicious speed wobble.

Some windscreens will cause more buffeting than others. Are you able to adjust the height or angle of it? I had to trim my windscreen to below eye level and shim it back at a larger rake to reduce the buffeting.

Some windscreens will cause more buffeting than others. Are you able to adjust the height or angle of it? I had to trim my windscreen to below eye level and shim it back at a larger rake to reduce the buffeting.
To be honest this is my first wind screen. I will if any adjustments can be made but off the top of my head I don't think so

Yeah. Don't use that windscreen on your bike.

That's a free one.
Lmfao you're such a d*** lol.
Old one but a good one. Started my day off on a good note. Thanks!

OP, I recall reading that some people on their Shadows had to add "lowers" or fork fairings (idk what they are called) bc they were getting air coming up underneath. But I would start with what was suggested earlier and try and adjust angle or height.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Yep. Same thing on my FJ09. Installed Madstad adjustable touring screen. Played with the settings when I first put it on and when it's all the way up I can't go over 170 without a vicious speed wobble.

170 eh? I think you`re still okay!

Exactly how big is this windscreen? Pics?
Pretty standard size. There is nothing to adjust in terms of height or angle. The screen snaps on to the 2 bolts in the picture
717671355517e78942e3c3d07e1ab383.jpg
ad47aced463b7227d3a1b12f2543555b.jpg

Where is the top of the screen in relation to your head? Methinks it needs to be a lot shorter.

I have that exact windshield - and similar FL front end to you.

Please describe the shaking/vibration more. If it's a 'buffeting' of your head the JoeB has the answer - wind coming up underneath the windshield. Harley sells 'fangs' to solve this. The height of the windshield vs your head may also be relevant.

if the bike is actually shaking, maybe you need to tighten the steering head/bearings?

Where is the top of the screen in relation to your head? Methinks it needs to be a lot shorter.
I did not pay attention to that. I think it's about chin high. I will double check

I have that exact windshield - and similar FL front end to you.

Please describe the shaking/vibration more. If it's a 'buffeting' of your head the JoeB has the answer - wind coming up underneath the windshield. Harley sells 'fangs' to solve this. The height of the windshield vs your head may also be relevant.

if the bike is actually shaking, maybe you need to tighten the steering head/bearings?
Basically once I hit 100 my eyes start to vibrate to the point I see doubles. I took the screen off and everything is back to normal as it was before

Idea: cut a rectangular piece of cardboard and duct tape it to the forks, go for a ride. Should be wider than the forks.

My bike has the aux lamps and turn signals that block some of that air from below the windshield...

Google 'harley fangs' and you'll see the flower wind deflectors that fix the buffeting problem...

Last edited:
If it's air underneath you're bars won't be shaking, it'll be your helmet vibrating (sometimes easy to make the mistake especially with full-face lids).
I find riding a Street Glide with a tall touring windshield is scary above 110km/h because the bars shake so much from the tall shield. Doesn't do it with the shorter one's on 3 other friends SG's with short shieds.

My Victory bars don't shake no matter speed or shield size but suffers from helmet buffeting because of air coming from underneath (also easy to diagnose as the top front of the tank gets dusty quickly).

Just pushing too much air. My old GoldWing would would start to weave above 150. At 160 it was so bad I didn't think I would get it slowed down without loosing it.

Back
Top Bottom