Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it

My last helmet purchase was maybe 5 years ago, it was a Joe Rocket helmet and I still like it, it's lost it's tightness so it's sloppy on my head, but still a great helmet, however it is heavy, lots of wind noise, and need to swap visors if I want a dark tint for those sunny days. IIRC its was about 400 bucks back then.

Now this one I purchased because I wanted to splurge on something nice, I had the cash, got a good tax return, so I figured why not....

This one is light, in fact as I mentioned, when I picked up the box it was packaged in I thought it was empty, or at least I didn't think there was a helmet in there.....

it has the drop down visor, it's modular, it has the pinlock visor, it's light, it's supposedly the quietest helmet on the market, it has built in mic, speakers, antenna, I just need to buy the communications kit, plug in and it's good to go

So there were a number of reasons for this purchase, and saving the money I did was an added bonus, plus I have it at least a month before it will be available here locally....

Congrats on the helmet OP, I'm not into modular helmets but that is one elegant design.

It sucks that there is no predetermined standard operating procedure regarding taxes and duties but I guess it's much better than have things lip through without being taxed than have each and every item hit with every time. I guess contacting the vendor and letting them know to keep the invoice inside the package as another member mentioned here (biker land) would be a good idea but again not guaranteed.

Figured I'd update this thread with my recent purchase experience.

So I bought some boots from FC-Moto and had to pick up the package from a CP outlet after a slip was left on my door. Got hit with 15% approx, not sure if safety boots qualify for a claim like helmets do so I'm exploring this avenue. The strange thing is many in this thread reported DHL making the delivery not CP, so I'm wondering why this changed. I think if DHL had delivered it I wouldn't have been hit with duties/taxes. Any recent experiences?

I think if DHL had delivered it I wouldn't have been hit with duties/taxes. Any recent experiences?

Nope. I've ordered many things shipped via DHL from Europe. 95% of the time I will get hit with duty + the extra-special processing fee they charge on top of the government charges.

Even then, it's cheaper than buying domestic.... Until you get a shipment that's damaged or defective. Then it's a time+money suck trying to ship it back to Europe (on your dime), wait for it get it repaired under warranty, wait for them to ship it back to you, pay duty again and then try to reclaim the first duty payment from CRA.

Nope. I've ordered many things shipped via DHL from Europe. 95% of the time I will get hit with duty + the extra-special processing fee they charge on top of the government charges.

Even then, it's cheaper than buying domestic.... Until you get a shipment that's damaged or defective. Then it's a time+money suck trying to ship it back to Europe (on your dime), wait for it get it repaired under warranty, wait for them to ship it back to you, pay duty again and then try to reclaim the first duty payment from CRA.

Guess it's a good thing it came via CP then. That is actually the standard as DHL is the national carrier in Germany so the package is then handed to the national carrier of the receiving country. I have no idea how other members got the delivery via DHL and paid absolutely nothing.

Back
Top Bottom