Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it

Just got my C4 Legacy Orange + SC1 advanced from bikers-land. Payed $1150 + $161 HST (did not get lucky this time, usually no HST from bikers-land and I bought a lot from them!). Don't listen to whoever says you pay Duty. Never! So, the total is a bit over $1300. Rider choice will sell C4 for $1260 + $600 for SC1 + HST. What a rip off...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Well that sux, but still it seems it will come out cheaper than making the purchase here

But who got the HST ?

I was wanting the Orange, thought it would go great with my bike, but was wondering what happens if and when I change bikes, and I get a blue one or something, then it wouldn't match anymore,,,lol

Last edited:
Seems we are ok with the ECE-2205 Standards, at least according to this

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=8502

Yes - in Ontario, ECE-2205 is not a problem, it's only a potential issue if you travel to US states that have a helmet law AND you are unlucky enough to run into an exceptionally, ah, "diligent" cop.

My track helmets are ECE-2205; I think it is a more appropriate standard than Snell. I'm not worried about safety implications, only about cops with an IF ... THEN ... attitude.

Yes - in Ontario, ECE-2205 is not a problem, it's only a potential issue if you travel to US states that have a helmet law AND you are unlucky enough to run into an exceptionally, ah, "diligent" cop.

My track helmets are ECE-2205; I think it is a more appropriate standard than Snell. I'm not worried about safety implications, only about cops with an IF ... THEN ... attitude.

Got ya........

Well that sux, but still it seems it will come out cheaper than making the purchase here

But who got the HST ?

I was wanting the Orange, thought it would go great with my bike, but was wondering what happens if and when I change bikes, and I get a blue one or something, then it wouldn't match anymore,,,lol
HST got Canadian Customs. Bikers-land does a very smart thing. They fold and pack an invoice so that only a shipping cost (~30 Euro) is visible. Usually, these packages slip through customs without HST, but if there is some jerk who has too much free time to rip off a plastic seal, take off the invoice and look for an actual price - you are paying 13% HST.
I'm not complaining, still saved almost $800 compared to Rider Choice's price. And most importantly - got the helmet now!
BTW, I had C3 and C3 Pro, and I should say that C4 is a huge improvement over the previous models. And SC1 Advanced (build in Bluetooth communication) is a big plus.

HST got Canadian Customs. Bikers-land does a very smart thing. They fold and pack an invoice so that only a shipping cost (~30 Euro) is visible. Usually, these packages slip through customs without HST, but if there is some jerk who has too much free time to rip off a plastic seal, take off the invoice and look for an actual price - you are paying 13% HST.
I'm not complaining, still saved almost $800 compared to Rider Choice's price. And most importantly - got the helmet now!
BTW, I had C3 and C3 Pro, and I should say that C4 is a huge improvement over the previous models. And SC1 Advanced (build in Bluetooth communication) is a big plus.

Well as you said, your still ahead..hope I catch a break.

I was thinking of the sc1 add on, but it was only 50 bucks less here for the regular one, I am sure someone will have it on sale, and since I don't need it now I can wait.

And yes getting the helmet now is definitely an added bonus....

We have all kinds of trouble getting C4 (or any DOT approved helmets) from Schuberth this year. The ECE ones are readily available but for some reason the DOT helmets have been delayed over and over. As the above posters mentioned, the only time you might have a problem is when you cross the border. Schuberth is telling us they will be available at the end of August, but I have been given about 3 different dates this year so far, so take that with a grain of salt.

I would be very hesitant to order any helmet from online or over seas. The less hands that are involved in shipping it is the less chances of it being dropped, damages or repackages. Makes me very uneasy that I may be putting in a damaged lid without knowing it. That's just me though

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I would be very hesitant to order any helmet from online or over seas. The less hands that are involved in shipping it is the less chances of it being dropped, damages or repackages. Makes me very uneasy that I may be putting in a damaged lid without knowing it. That's just me though

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

This makes sense in theory, but would the helmet you order from Germany have a much rougher life then the helmet a canadian supplier orders from Germany and then ships to a local dealer where it is in stock for a while before you buy it?

The good thing about fibreglass lids is a good hit will crack the gel coat, plastic is much better at hiding damage.

I would think a full skid of helmets all shrink wrapped and handled by fork truck gurus like JoeBass would have a better chance then a lone box. But one mans "fragile, insured package" is another couriers football.

I would think a full skid of helmets all shrink wrapped and handled by fork truck gurus like JoeBass would have a better chance then a lone box. But one mans "fragile, insured package" is another couriers football.

I agree, but who's to say that the canadian distributor is bringing in full skids? The trip to the store will definitely be less than a skid.

I doubt that shipping direct from Germany will be safer for the helmet than buying from canada, but I would be surprised if it was much worse.

How many trips have local helmets made, from one motorcycle show, back to the store, then off to another show, and back again, handled by how many persons, and I would hate to think, but I am sure some even get dropped, and back in the box they go....

I guess it's just one of those things where I will hope all goes well

So I am looking at getting a new helmet, and after some thought, I have decided on the one I want.

Purchase price here is 1400.00 delivered to my door, now same lid is about 950 delivered to my door, but since its coming from Germany via DHL, there could be duties, taxes, etc but I don't know this for a fact and really how much if any....

But can it be 450 dollars worth of added expenses ???

No one here has the helmet in stock, and won't for at least 2 months or more......

Does one take the gamble ?

The fit has been checked that is not my worry, I know what I order will be correct.....

It's just the added expense, if any......

Ordering from FC Moto, if that helps in any way, yes I would buy locally but no stock and over 4 hundred bucks more is really making it hard to do so....

Thanks for any advise....

So the helmet arrived today, ordered on July 22, and here it is in my hands 10 days latter all the way from Germany.

Seems the CBSA was on the ball this time and I got charged HST, 119.23 and handling fee of 9.95 so total on that is 129.18,,,ok not bad but I am going to appeal it as that was based on their guess of what I paid for the helmet and not what I actually did.

Now the bill from FC Moto including, shipping charges, helmet was 850.00 plus I had to pay Visa 30 bucks for currency conversion, so final bill was 880.00

Once we add up the 2 we end up with a grand total of $1009.00 Canadian dollars

I would say it's a great deal, saved some good money, and have the helmet maybe 2 months earlier than trying to get it here.

I can get the communication system basically for free, considering the cash I saved....

Ohhh no issue with the helmet, it was wrapped in its own pouch, then in its box, and that was in another box, I see no damage, wear or tear of any kind, no worse than what I would find at any local store if they had one in stock.

I was actually worried, when I picked up the box it was so light I thought nothing was inside it, that there alone showed me how light this helmet is....

I will add some pictures a bit latter....

Would I do it it again,,,,for sure

And yes the fit is perfect, no need to return and exchange....lol

Seems the CBSA was on the ball this time and I got charged HST, 119.23 and handling fee of 9.95 so total on that is 129.18,,,ok not bad but I am going to appeal it as that was based on their guess of what I paid for the helmet and not what I actually did.

Now the bill from FC Moto including, shipping charges, helmet was 850.00 plus I had to pay Visa 30 bucks for currency conversion, so final bill was 880.00

13% of $880 is $114. You're going to chase them for five bucks?

via Tapatalk

13% of $880 is $114. You're going to chase them for five bucks?

via Tapatalk

No need to chase, just fill in the form and mail it to them.....

But the wife has already tossed out the papers, so I won't go dumpster diving to get them....

But 5 bucks here 5 bucks there, and it adds up, why should they get away with overcharging anyone, that was more my point, if your charging me, then charge on the correct amount, not what you feel like.

Some pictures

ax4L3OA.jpg

YtzusWV.jpg

l20pkYV.jpg

Ihyt4Ba.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking helmet. I'm into modular helmets as well but honestly won't spend anywhere near that much money for one. I tend to hover around $250-$300 range when helmet shopping.

Just wondering if most others also budget around $1000 for helmets?

Just wondering if most others also budget around $1000 for helmets?

A surprisingly large number of people spend big numbers on helmets (and in some cases walls of different colours).

I was always entertained by the argument that more money buys safer as Arai had a stretch where their helmets were failing performance tests while $100 HJC's were passing. More money normally buys quieter, lighter and fancier graphics, very rarely does it buy safer.

I purchased my AGV PISTA GP when it was first released 4-5yrs ago from champion helmets out in the Netherlands, they were 300$ cheaper than what the supposed rate they were going to sell here plus I didnt have to pay duties or taxes. I will definitely be buying from them again - awesome customer service and they even threw in a free silver chrome face shield which is worth about $80.

Back
Top Bottom