Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it | GTAMotorcycle.com

Helmet purchase from Germany is it worth it

GateKeeper

So I am looking at getting a new helmet, and after some thought, I have decided on the one I want.

Purchase price here is 1400.00 delivered to my door, now same lid is about 950 delivered to my door, but since its coming from Germany via DHL, there could be duties, taxes, etc but I don't know this for a fact and really how much if any....

But can it be 450 dollars worth of added expenses ???

No one here has the helmet in stock, and won't for at least 2 months or more......

Does one take the gamble ?

The fit has been checked that is not my worry, I know what I order will be correct.....

It's just the added expense, if any......

Ordering from FC Moto, if that helps in any way, yes I would buy locally but no stock and over 4 hundred bucks more is really making it hard to do so....

Thanks for any advise....

I've made a couple of large purchases of motorcycle gear from Germany and didn't get dinged for duties or taxes. That was quite a while ago, but I think safety gear was 0% duty at the time and clothing was something like 15%, so it depends on how the customs officials decide to categorize it. I was expecting to have to pay taxes, but neither purchase got flagged

Email Kevin at Chromeburner out of Holland. I just got a helmet, Jacket, backprotector and t-shirt from them with no duty or taxes shipped to my door. They carry Shuburth and can order anything even things not on their website. use the info@chromeburner email and you'll be good. Great transaction (and an amazing deal). Check their facebook page to see what they are all about.

I ordered from FCmoto no taxes, no duties delivered by DHL. Saved a few hundred dollars over buying here. If you know your size, go ahead and don't worry. Takes about 2 weeks if it's in stock. There are no duties on a helmet anyway (safety equipment) and the taxes thing is luck but I didn't pay a bean.

I ordered from FCmoto no taxes, no duties delivered by DHL. Saved a few hundred dollars over buying here. If you know your size, go ahead and don't worry. Takes about 2 weeks if it's in stock. There are no duties on a helmet anyway (safety equipment) and the taxes thing is luck but I didn't pay a bean.

This sounds encouraging for sure... I just might have to bite the bullet, and try my luck....

Email Kevin at Chromeburner out of Holland. I just got a helmet, Jacket, backprotector and t-shirt from them with no duty or taxes shipped to my door. They carry Shuburth and can order anything even things not on their website. use the info@chromeburner email and you'll be good. Great transaction (and an amazing deal). Check their facebook page to see what they are all about.

I'll take a look and seehow they compare, thanks for the lead.....

So I am looking at getting a new helmet, and after some thought, I have decided on the one I want.

Purchase price here is 1400.00 delivered to my door, now same lid is about 950 delivered to my door, but since its coming from Germany via DHL, there could be duties, taxes, etc but I don't know this for a fact and really how much if any....

But can it be 450 dollars worth of added expenses ???

No one here has the helmet in stock, and won't for at least 2 months or more......

Does one take the gamble ?

The fit has been checked that is not my worry, I know what I order will be correct.....

It's just the added expense, if any......

Ordering from FC Moto, if that helps in any way, yes I would buy locally but no stock and over 4 hundred bucks more is really making it hard to do so....

Thanks for any advise....

Discretionary spending based on personal values and income. I'll happily spend good money on a hobby/interest/lifestyle that I really make an effort for, appreciate and is important to me. Everyone will have a different opinion on this or any product, even activity, and there is no right or wrong.

Last edited:

I ordered MX boots from fcmoto about 3 years back. They arrived in 3 days via DHL. No duties or taxes on the shipment or after the fact to this very day.

Within the next 12 months, might pull the trigger on a Schuberth E1 from Germany (want the ECE version not DOT) so, OP, if you can update this thread with your SC4 search, that'd be awesome!

Discretionary spending based on personal values and income. I'll happily spend good money on a hobby/interest/lifestyle that I really make an effort for, appreciate and is important to me. Everyone will have a different opinion on this or any product, even activity, and there is no right or wrong.

It was not a question on spending the money, here it's 1400 from Germany it's 950, the money question is, will there be 450 bucks worth of tax, duty, etc added and if so then I might as well purchase the helmet here once it becomes available.

With a lot of the responses so far seems, there is a slim chance of additional costs possibly, however it seems most have had a positive experience

I think I will pull the trigger and hope for the best

Just waiting for an answer back from Chromeburner, to see if it's the same and or cheaper, and then make the purchase.

@mudmojo, I will update on any developments.

I've bought a Schuberth C3 Pro and Sidi boots from biker-land.de over the years with excellent service and amazingly fast delivery by DHL. No extra taxes and saved hundreds of dollars. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from there again.

I was looking at a C4 too as I value my hearing. I have a NEXX XD1 from FC Moto and it's a brilliant helmet and I don't regret buying it but I'd like a convertible helmet for purely on road touring too.

I ordered an AGV Corsa from Holland and saved $400. I got hit on small amounts of duties and was well worth the money. The helmet made stops in San Fransisco and New York before getting to Toronto which was strange but eventually made it.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Just got my C4 Legacy Orange + SC1 advanced from bikers-land. Payed $1150 + $161 HST (did not get lucky this time, usually no HST from bikers-land and I bought a lot from them!). Don't listen to whoever says you pay Duty. Never! So, the total is a bit over $1300. Rider choice will sell C4 for $1260 + $600 for SC1 + HST. What a rip off...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Be careful about buying helmets from outside North America! Specifically, pay attention to compliance markings.

Helmets bought from Europe from reputable manufacturers will carry the ECE-2205 marking and they might not carry the DOT marking, since that is a USA thing which is not recognized in Europe. This is not a problem in Ontario, which accepts that standard, but it can be a problem in the USA, which only recognizes their own DOT marking and not anything else. 'Course, a number of states don't have helmet laws, but those that do, will mandate DOT-marked helmets. I am not sure if other provinces in Canada have recognized the ECE-2205 marking.

It is pretty unlikely that a cop will pull someone over who is quite obviously wearing a decent helmet specifically to check for this, but if you get caught up in a checkpoint where cops are checking for non-compliant helmets (usually the "beanie" novelty helmets) and they are checking ALL of them, don't say you weren't warned.

It is possible, but not guaranteed, that a helmet manufacturer will "make 'em all the same" and apply all of the compliance markings no matter where the helmet is sold. I have NO idea whether Schuberth does that.

Be careful about buying helmets from outside North America! Specifically, pay attention to compliance markings.

Helmets bought from Europe from reputable manufacturers will carry the ECE-2205 marking and they might not carry the DOT marking, since that is a USA thing which is not recognized in Europe. This is not a problem in Ontario, which accepts that standard, but it can be a problem in the USA, which only recognizes their own DOT marking and not anything else. 'Course, a number of states don't have helmet laws, but those that do, will mandate DOT-marked helmets. I am not sure if other provinces in Canada have recognized the ECE-2205 marking.

It is pretty unlikely that a cop will pull someone over who is quite obviously wearing a decent helmet specifically to check for this, but if you get caught up in a checkpoint where cops are checking for non-compliant helmets (usually the "beanie" novelty helmets) and they are checking ALL of them, don't say you weren't warned.

It is possible, but not guaranteed, that a helmet manufacturer will "make 'em all the same" and apply all of the compliance markings no matter where the helmet is sold. I have NO idea whether Schuberth does that.
All my recent helmets (for over 10 years) came from Europe. And I do trust ECE-2205 same as DOT. Now, I totally understand what you're talking about, but if so paranoid - just buy $2 worth DOT sticker. You have more chances to win tens of millions $$$ in a lottery, than come across a cop who could distinguish between Euro and NA Schuberth ?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Seems we are ok with the ECE-2205 Standards, at least according to this

http://www.ontariocanada.com/registry/view.do?postingId=8502

Back
Top Bottom