any aluminum TIG guys on here? | GTAMotorcycle.com

any aluminum TIG guys on here?

Contact Anthony or Sandra at 10fintec.
Anthony can weld anything. Stainless, aluminum, titanium. All tig welds.

If you are going to do the job correctly the welding is the least of your problems.

The guy that will re-drill and tap that hole will know a tig welder.
Actually anyone that is equipped to drill and tap that hole probably has a tig welder.

If you are going to do the job correctly the welding is the least of your problems.

The guy that will re-drill and tap that hole will know a tig welder.
Actually anyone that is equipped to drill and tap that hole probably has a tig welder.

if welding is the least of the problems - what are the major problems?

if welding is the least of the problems - what are the major problems?

My guess would be either be getting that hole in the proper position/angle or why it cracked in the first place/do you need to get the whole head crack tested before proceeding.

My guess would be either be getting that hole in the proper position/angle or why it cracked in the first place/do you need to get the whole head crack tested before proceeding.

First problem: Testing the rest of the head for cracks. Can't magna flux it so it will have to be pressure tested. Not a small job.

Next: to weld that crack, that hole has to be ground out to new material, then COMPLETELY filled, rebored, profile the bottom of the hole,then tapped. (He might have to fill and replace the hole that is 90 degrees to the surface, the hole just below the injector. Can't really tell where the crack ends and if there is room to weld or not from the pics). (...and good luck welding the crap aluminum that is now filled with oil and other contaminants. Tig likes CLEAN).
Now that the hole is done, the head has to be pressure tested again.
After putting all that heat in a localized area, by welding (hopefully the guide or seat doesn't fall out. I would at LEAST lap the local valve), I would broach the head, just to be sure it is flat and will seal(This head is for a turbo diesel Volks, isn't it?).
In the day that this head spends in the shop getting fixed, the actual welding may take less than half an hour. He will spend most of his moneys on prep, machine setup and pressure testing.

I have the necessary equipment and expertise but I don't think I would be trying to weld that to fix it.
I bet a bone yard head is cheaper than trying to fix this. (If you go with a bone yard head get all the valves with the head or you'll be replacing all the guides and doing a valve job).
There may be other ways of fixing this without welding.

Last edited:
I've had a head welded before. Never even took the motor out of the frame. Maybe I was lucky. For what it would cost, I would try and get the crack welded
without destroying the threads too much. I paid $50 at a local shop 15 years ago. I guess its a gamble..but its a cheap bet lol

Last edited:
I just want the crack reinforced a bit, at least at the top, so it doesnt get bigger when a new injector is installed. Theres plenty of thread down in the cylinder head body so this is for insurance. The injector seals against teh base with a special 'washer', not against threads. A bead of aluminum on top of the existing crack type thing. I understand that getting it clean is the challenge.

Pressure testing might be a good idea but I dont have pressure testing money and hunting for 1.6TD heads at the yard used to be a thing but they dont just dont come up very often anymore.

These heads need to be lapped prior to installation regae time or money.rdless..a popular method thats been used is fine sandpaper bonded to glass or a mirror.

I just want the crack reinforced a bit, at least at the top, so it doesnt get bigger when a new injector is installed. Theres plenty of thread down in the cylinder head body so this is for insurance. The injector seals against teh base with a special 'washer', not against threads. A bead of aluminum on top of the existing crack type thing. I understand that getting it clean is the challenge.

Pressure testing might be a good idea but I dont have pressure testing money and hunting for 1.6TD heads at the yard used to be a thing but they dont just dont come up very often anymore.

These heads need to be lapped prior to installation regae time or money.rdless..a popular method thats been used is fine sandpaper bonded to glass or a mirror.

That is a simple fix, I have cracks filled with TIG welding at my welders shop in Mississauga all the time. Its not rocket science, he's a professional that isn't going to overheat your whole cylinder head welding one tiny section of a small stress crack...Its cast aluminum it does not take much heat to weld, not to the point where you would warp your head, if he thinks it will then he will do it accordingly as to not over heat it

Worst case when welding threaded holes, is I some times need to chase out the treads with a tap, if its an odd size or large tap that can be the most expensive part of the fix as the welding is cheap at between $20-40 depending on how fast you need it....

As long as you use a professional TIG welder with lots of experience welding cast aluminum you should have no problems getting that simple little cracked fixed for an hours labor. Cast engine parts are harder to weld being oil soaked, or gas and carbon stained. However I have had numerous cast aluminum engine parts TIG welded over the years without any big problems.

Worth a try for sure, your location says Toronto so Im not sure if your willing to travel to MIssissauga, but if you cant get it done PM me and I know my guy can do it %100. And hes right next door to my friends machine shop if you need any machining after or just to use a tap to chase out the threads

Back
Top Bottom