Textile vs Riding jeans | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Textile vs Riding jeans

You calling that melted ???? pardon my laughter.
It's abraded and there is armor underneath for pressure points....exactly as there should be for knees. If Big Poppa had armor on ...no skin injury. Relying on pants is foolish unless it's leather with good armor built in as some suits are.

IF you have armor underneath ...the pant material as you point out is only marginal protection.
That's why it's relevant...

agree with MacDoc. My pants inners melted to my Independant knee protection. I had just changed to using that a few mths earlier. (I used to have photos.. but photobucket is gone now. )

Textile vs jeans? Does one offer more slide protection than the other?

Here's a test performed by a magazine a few years back:

Drag Test

"For the Drag Test, samples were stitched to a bag that held a 75-pound sandbag inside a milk crate, then dragged behind a pickup truck..."

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

Here's a test performed by a magazine a few years back:

Drag Test

"For the Drag Test, samples were stitched to a bag that held a 75-pound sandbag inside a milk crate, then dragged behind a pickup truck..."

New, 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ----------------------- 3' 10"
Senior Balistic Nylon ----------------------------------- 3' 10"
Leather, Lightweight, Nude Finish, 2.25 oz/sq. ft. --- 4' 3"
Leather, Fashion Weight, 1.75 oz/sq ft. ------------- 4' 4"
Two-year-old 100% Cotton Denim Jeans ------------ 4' 5"
Cordura Nylon Type 440 ----------------------------- 18' 3"
Kevlar 29 Aramid Fiber, Style 713 ------------------ 22' 1"
Leather, Competition Weight, 3 oz/sq. ft. -------- 86' 0"

lol
the 2 yr old Jeans lasted 1' longer than the brand new jeans??

I have faith in textiles for street riding.
Just not that from lesser names, but will trust Revit/Alpine/Rukka/Dainaise/etc.

Got rear ended last year, Revit airwave v1.0 pants ripped in the section just next to the knee armor, not a scratch on my knee, and I assume I landed on the armored and higher weight material on the elbow, that held up with just a minute mark--all intact.

Issue with leather is that no one will willingly wear that in weather like this week, and no leather = no good.
I ride with textiles all year round. Will eventually have a set of leathers, but their operational window is just too narrow in Toronto. Spring and fall only. Great number 3 jacket. (HD textile for wet and cold stuff, high flow stuff for summer, then leather). I only have 1 set of pants, airwave from Revit. No good for wet, but I've taken it to 0* with thermal underwear and thick dickies under the airwave. Shorts or underarmor boxers during the summer.

Looks goofy, but I'm married, so I dgaf. Pick up a pillion, they wear it all, and I go nude.

Issue with leather is that no one will willingly wear that in weather like this week, and no leather = no good.
I ride with textiles all year round. Will eventually have a set of leathers, but their operational window is just too narrow in Toronto. Spring and fall only.

Vented leathers works pretty well once you get >70kph.

Was out yesterday for a 3.5 hour ride in a full 2 piece, my biggest complain was irritation on my face from sweat/sun.

Stay hydrated and try not to ride in traffic or congested areas, definitely had to pry myself out of my gear but am able to enjoy my ride a bit better knowing if something does happen I stand a little bit better of a chance coming out with less injuries.

I have faith in textiles for street riding.
Just not that from lesser names, but will trust Revit/Alpine/Rukka/Dainaise/etc.

Got rear ended last year, Revit airwave v1.0 pants ripped in the section just next to the knee armor, not a scratch on my knee, and I assume I landed on the armored and higher weight material on the elbow, that held up with just a minute mark--all intact.

I ride with textiles all year round. Will eventually have a set of leathers, but their operational window is just too narrow in Toronto. Spring and fall only. Great number 3 jacket. (HD textile for wet and cold stuff, high flow stuff for summer, then leather). I only have 1 set of pants, airwave from Revit. No good for wet, but I've taken it to 0* with thermal underwear and thick dickies under the airwave. Shorts or underarmor boxers during the summer.

Looks goofy, but I'm married, so I dgaf. Pick up a pillion, they wear it all, and I go nude.
I wear 1 piece full leather every time regardless of temp.

Very low speed, low side wearing textiles. I understand it's an icon jacket, but I'm confident and Icon leather jacket would not do the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-PylOp2EB8

Medium speed, being dragged behind a car for 40 seconds while wearing leather. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLYrG7_oYk

Seems to confirm the chart posted above.

I think some people don't really understand just how little protection these light mesh jackets give, just out of lack of knowledge. When shopping it's not unusual to hear a salesperson say "these jackets offer slightly less protection than the leather jackets, but breath WAY better in the summer", who wouldn't be sold on that emphasis.

Very low speed, low side wearing textiles. I understand it's an icon jacket, but I'm confident and Icon leather jacket would not do the same. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-PylOp2EB8

Medium speed, being dragged behind a car for 40 seconds while wearing leather. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLYrG7_oYk

Seems to confirm the chart posted above.

I think some people don't really understand just how little protection these light mesh jackets give, just out of lack of knowledge. When shopping it's not unusual to hear a salesperson say "these jackets offer slightly less protection than the leather jackets, but breath WAY better in the summer", who wouldn't be sold on that emphasis.

Did it hook on something and tear at the seam?

Did it hook on something and tear at the seam?

Not too sure, it looks like in the slow mow portion, the second he hits the ground, that first 2 feet of slide, the jacket just explodes in the front. It's visibly already torn before he even hits the dirt and tumbles.

Guy is lucky it wasn't one of those lengthy low sides as he would have been relying on skin after the first few feet :S

Looks like his jacket got hooked on the clutch lever. He is a big dude only leather would have helped there

Ive never tried riding jeans but I picked up the Dainese New Drake air textile pants and love them.
They fit great, zip into my leather jacket, look awesome and have hip padding along with knee and shin protection.

I always ride with full gear , gloves etc regardless of the heat. I must admit ive thought about going out with jeans and jacket but I honestly would feel like I was riding naked. I had a get off years ago (like 40)in the fall long johns jeans and leather jacket at 30 km/hr. Legs were a mess but upper torso albeit sore had no road rash and have been riding atgatt ever since . I guess what i'm saying is one drop at speed you would regreat not having the best riding gear unless of course you hit a guard rail or plunged off the dragon at speed then no amount of gear will save you obviously ...... After responding and reading this thread ive decided to stay with the atgatt mantra lol

lots of good info. I've got the Resurg jeans as well. Seems well made enough but find them quite heavy, and as many have said especially so in this weather. So I stick to evening or early day rides. Also have the Airglide suit. Pants are *** ugly as Macdoc had mentioned but serves its purpose. Might really look into considering the separate moto knee and shins underneath as I have a set from MTBing at Kelso, but will need less fitted pants to get them to fit under. Guilty but recently with heat have been wearing a pr of Levi's commuter jeans...and picking up a leather jacket for the cooler months

Last edited:
I held off buying mesh until this year when I got a great deal on a Klim Induction jacket, where their proprietary mil-spec Karbonite mesh is claimed to be up to 750% stronger than regular mesh found in other brands. (Hope I never have to find out...) Also comes with a full set of D30 armour and a removable, breathable, waterproof, windbreaker liner.

I pair the jacket with Klim's K Fifty 1 jeans (heavy duty cordura + kevlar + D30) or Dainese D1 EVOs.

Back
Top Bottom