Textile vs Riding jeans | GTAMotorcycle.com

Textile vs Riding jeans

bigpoppa

Looking for new riding pants, if both are high quality and designed for riding in mind, does it matter which route you go? Textile vs jeans?

Does one offer more slide protection than the other?

Anyone actually have any crash tested pants that they swear by?

Thanks

During my earlier years I have crash tested in:
- leather with protective armour. I swear by, didn't feel a thing.

Can't really vouch for textile or jeans, but I'm switching up my gear to textile or 1000 denier cordura. The leathers are overkill in heat.

I find kevlar jeans too heavy and hot ...AirGlide 3 I'm very confident in tho with added knee armor on my knee.
They are comfortable in heat - better than my 511 jeans and can be used with long johns or liner. Ugly as sin.

Don't buy into the myth that mesh melts ...it doesn't and the stats for going down on pavement are 2/3 of riders never will in a life time of riding.

However...if you are riding the twists hard .....then your gear level needs to reflect that risk.

I have come off on dirt and also did not feel much with the exception of the time my jacket was not done up and my shoulder was unprotected.....that i still feel years later.

My knee armor worked perfectly - hole in my riding jeans, gouges on the armor but zero problem for me and the damn bike torqued me down hard by digging in a foot peg after a "green moss" front wheel wash out.

Local riding I wear my 511s which are only marginally better than regular jeans but look decent plus knee armor.
Trips it's the AirGlide 3 always.
Ugly, cooler and confidence inspiring. Other riders here will attest to the Airglides as well.

Last edited:
I wear a pair of Resurgence jeans on the daily (picked up from GP Bikes); while they can be uncomfortable in the heat, I like the fact they do not look like riding jeans and are fully Kevlar lined (not just knees and *** like others) and have both knee and hip armor within. Over pants can be more comfortable but if you doing little trips or walking around in between they can be a pain to walk around in or take off and store.

If I'm going for a run to the twisty's I have a 1pc leather suit, for longer touring I have a 2pc waterproof textile combo, and for daily commute and such I rock the jeans and a leather jacket (looking at going mesh for the summer though)

I had a low slide with a Icon textile jacket and Resurgence Pekev jeans. Jacket melted. Jeans got lightly scuffed. I will never get textile again. Yes they are light and breath great but I want something that will protect me better if I fall at higher speeds. Going leather with my next jacket and will for sure get a few more pairs of the Resurgence pants as they first hand proved their worth to me. Will add pics to back

466ad184bdf58036a4b0e7fb2f0ad342.jpg
f9cb846ab7c630a86a3b1c3116efb268.jpg
f0d517ca9dcda2d46eb71480c378e455.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Looking for new riding pants, if both are high quality and designed for riding in mind, does it matter which route you go? Textile vs jeans?

Does one offer more slide protection than the other?

Anyone actually have any crash tested pants that they swear by?

Thanks
Crash tested textile at 109km/hr a few years ago. A couple small tears on the knees. (armour saved my knees). Zipper that zipped into jacket needed to be restitched . Pants were fixed and still in use.
I personally also like riding pants and I find they breath better on the heat than jeans that feel stuffy and retain heat from the bike and sun.

Oh, these were Triumph branded pants

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I had a low slide with a Icon textile jacket and Resurgence Pekev jeans. Jacket melted. Jeans got lightly scuffed. I will never get textile again. Yes they are light and breath great but I want something that will protect me better if I fall at higher speeds. Going leather with my next jacket and will for sure get a few more pairs of the Resurgence pants as they first hand proved their worth to me. Will add pics to back

Impressive, what speed were you going?

And do the resurgence pants come with armor or is it purchased separately?

Last edited:

I was doing only 40-50km/h in a small roundabout and cut the throttle a little causing me to loose the front. Was practicing it and found the limit. The Resurgence Pekov pants come with D30 removable and position adjustable armor.

I have a pair of the Resurgence Jeans also. D30 knee and hip armor is included with the jeans ($60 value). I like this Armor because it is soft and molds to the knees (until impact) and you don't even know its there. There is a huge strip of velcro for the knee pads, so you can position them literally anywhere you want in the front for max comfort. I recommend getting them from Two Wheel in Guelph, don't go to GP Bikes. Two Wheele sells them for $175, GP sells them for $230. If you factor in the savings from the D30 armor, the jeans are $115.....best bang for your buck IMO

Last edited:
Ethereal View Post
I had a low slide with a Icon textile jacket and Resurgence Pekev jeans. Jacket melted.

without photos that's utter crap.

"Positional armor" does nothing if it moves off the joint. Most embedded armor moves with the pants
Armor attached to the rider does not.

This
Kiwi
Crash tested textile at 109km/hr a few years ago. A couple small tears on the knees
Is real..
The knee tears are why I wear hard armor under the riding pants. Stays on my knees

01c61c4875c70e3aaa8176473c2b2656.jpg

Stays in place.

a huge strip of velcro for the knee pads, so you can position them literally anywhere you want in the front for max comfort. I

It's about time they got real about it but how does it prevent the pant leg from twisting away?

Last edited:
without photos that's utter crap.

"Positional armor" does nothing if it moves off the joint. Most embedded armor moves with the pants
Armor attached to the rider does not.

This
Kiwi

Is real..
The knee tears are why I wear hard armor under the riding pants. Stays on my knees

01c61c4875c70e3aaa8176473c2b2656.jpg

Stays in place.

It's about time they got real about it but how does it prevent the pant leg from twisting away?

I erg you to try a pair on and tell me if the armor moves. My textile melted away leaving my D30 in the arms to save me. Had it been any faster I would have been ****ed. Sure posting a pic of totally separate armor that is over kill will trump a pair of pants. His question was not what is the best protection. It was Jeans vs Textile, and textle is ****. That is why they do not let you use it on the track

I recommend the below. What goes on top/over it is your call

tumblr_niccp8jtBW1rar68no1_500.gif

Lowsided yesterday at low speeds on a weird surface...the textile riding pants i had...well they ripped through..dont really have any confidence in that stuff now

http://imgur.com/a/XdvAi

http://imgur.com/a/UcIXq
That is why you wear independent knee armor
You would not have been marked.
Pants are not armor as our supposed melted jacket poster found out.

Mesh will abrade - it does not melt. BTW D30 armor is for impact - not abrasion.

•••••

Ethereal
Why is proper knee armor overkill?? ....you think a little patch of armor in a knee in a pant that moves will save you ????? You are dreaming. - post the picture of the "melted" jacket not you jumping about looking foolish.

This is my knee...I never felt a thing, $50 knee armor....cheap *** pants.

qptsfYWo6HiwBd6iIVJsbKXDGSoOQ5uZ9ePM1M8y1V12CXGOpAPRSxq5Y_xHvaqCriCn0fXZ6scPlxvBKdvR353TKOQ22NY8I5_GIINFsJRnztVBC63HPlrPaLVjzQemYERhzUf8Du6iQHa6OOqA_bPKfzg5co8sUn9fFJnZwyZStAI4zlGLrSdfIB0aYWJptNLQws2DjGCpjQY0Nah1kZ0uUWZnBmMX1q8gdC3euNHBu1bf-OXRRbkMVIQz0ZkKXFnb9qkMAee1pgMCJUxLGJIaRUeSu-kQzufcXJ8joF_Ru0Y_KBsyO2-BlybkIZSflQGVEl5W6Y-058QCaPdybQBl6o69D8FMJeCQ0JXo2JrdNsXNEEBgF6gWWzTNnePx5Zz8oVbIoOYtE4UfnQMwfPUXpkDgmzzqyGSwgdg9sAureFFCdsbFefj19b3heZ7Be1x5tTa6idvkQFdkJEzzUN7T7voYYEQ0FWgj3RmWhDuk98po1Mf6U-rf7X0TANVx9avoeLyvXl-oTlirO2IcJiD3WVhGW4L7a2k_ITNTQPwaqs3nT6IvIIVOpAbsJ6dTKHDW4Q91inVjbigSH_H6NCyZ_enIwGLZ6h8jA4BaJrUeowW_I5DO5mds1g=w1350-h1210-no

Those gouges WOULD have been in my knee cap.

Knee armor easily goes under riding pants ...it weighs nothing and provide on joint protection.
It's your knees....wear what you want...don't go spreading crap about mesh melting.

The motocross crowd knows what works and is light and cool to wear....take notes.

Last edited:
That is why you wear independent knee armor
You would not have been marked.
Pants are not armor as our supposed melted jacket poster found out.

Mesh will abrade - it does not melt. BTW D30 armor is for impact - not abrasion.

•••••

Ethereal
Why is proper knee armor overkill?? ....you think a little patch of armor in a knee in a pant that moves will save you ????? You are dreaming. - post the picture of the "melted" jacket not you jumping about looking foolish.

Knee armor easily goes under riding pants ...it weighs nothing and provide on joint protection.
It's your knees....wear what you want...don't go spreading crap about mesh melting.

The motocross crowd knows what works and is light and cool to wear....take notes.

Because the question was Textile vs Jeans... I could have posted a one pcs suit with air and told him use that. I was only stating that textile offers no protection from abrasion at all. Kevlar jeans get you a few more inches of ware. The post was not about amour at all. That is own topic

You calling that melted ???? pardon my laughter.
It's abraded and there is armor underneath for pressure points....exactly as there should be for knees. If Big Poppa had armor on ...no skin injury. Relying on pants is foolish unless it's leather with good armor built in as some suits are.

IF you have armor underneath ...the pant material as you point out is only marginal protection.
That's why it's relevant...

Last edited:
vs pants ware. note my finger is also on the D30 knee armor and was pinned under bike. Pants held up jacket did not.

f0d517ca9dcda2d46eb71480c378e455.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom