Stair post removal advice needed | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stair post removal advice needed

FattBoyy

I am removing my stair post. After I removed the newel post there is a screw anchored to the floor upside down. Anyone know how to remove this ?

b2b5258f85a0bd1ddc253eeac5e26e38.jpg
914ab276cd7ad5922d3dc798cca87d76.jpg

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Dremel it flush?

Vice grips? It's possibly a double ended lag screw.

What's going in next?
I am putting in a rod iron balisters and newel post. I suppose if the rod iron newel post gets screwed on this would work.

Not familiar with lag screw concept

If you are not going to reuse it then just use vise grips to turn it out. It is a double ended lag screw of some sort, bottom gets screwed in first then the post gets screwed into what sticks out.

Pipe wrench would be faster.

The other end of lag screw most likely has a finer thread that is screwed into the floor.

Last edited:
Won't the pipe wrench slip

417ec3133794a750b0f2d922dbf25a65.jpg

Pipe wrench designed for smooth steel pipe. It won't have a problem grabbing the screw. But it will chew up what it bites into. You won't be reusing that screw.

Vice grips. I doubt it will take much torque to back it out.

Its almost half inch thick

Fine then.
Hacksaw, or if you're feeling adventurous, Sawzall. :D

its called a dowel screw, a double ended lag . grab it with vice grips and it will spin out in minutes. Or just snap it off , but I'd screw it out. dont grind it off, just remove it

Okay it seems like I need the screw there for the next post thst I am going to install so no need to remove it after all..

So feel free to turn this in to political debate

Lol. in all seriousness thanks to all that gave advice

but I'd screw it out. dont grind it off, just remove it

Thumbs up. a) you don't want to have to clean up grinding dust or metal shavings and b) leaving things in always comes back to bite you (you try to anchor the new post and the stub in the floor is in your way).

It's there because it's Trumps fault, or Putin, or Trudeau...
No one is really sure anymore.

Back
Top Bottom