Removing sealant from tire | GTAMotorcycle.com

Removing sealant from tire

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I have a set of essentially new tires where the guy I bought them from thought he was going to store the tires for a while and his mechanic put some sort of seal on them to protect them. He decided to sell the bike and I got the tires. I've had brand new tires before where I had to ride on them nicely for the 1st 100km or so to 'burn' off the sealant, but these tires feel too slippery to do that.

I did spray on some brake cleaner and immediately wipe off the tires, but they are still quite slippery. Any suggestions on what to use to clean the sealant off?

Thanks!

What sealant was used would be the 1st question.
If they were Armour Alled I would just toss them.

Off road for a bit to start? Slippery coating shouldn't cause you many problems in the gravel/dirt.

Edit:
If you cant get to gravel, a light scuff with some sandpaper should make things safe enough to burn the rest off. I wouldn't hesitate to try chemicals recommended by others who had used them on tires before too.

Last edited:
If they have been sitting with some unknown substance coating them for some time, the rear tire is only good for doing a big monster burnout, and the front tire is good for nothing. Even if you get the surface coating off, it has probably soaked in.

I'm under the impression they were only sealed at the beginning of this season. I used Simple Green and some elbow grease and it removed the surface seal really well. The sounds of a monster burnout on my driveway sounds like fun though.

I'm in the moulded urethanes business. Getting a sealant off of rubber isn't easy. A silicone based sealant can bond really well so you need a solvent to clean it off. The best know method is acetone or a vinyl prep agent that is usually only found in the industrial world.

Toss the front and roast the rear as BrianP suggested. As they say, "those who save on tires, spend on bodywork"

Back
Top Bottom