Any Car Audio Experts or Buffs out there with some advice? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any Car Audio Experts or Buffs out there with some advice?

Zoodles95

Site Supporter
So... I should have my "new" truck either Wednesday or Thursday this week:

I am asking on a Ram Forum about the Uconnect unit in this truck and what I can do with external amplifiers:

In my HHR I replaced all the speakers and used the Kenwood head unit to drive the speakers and then this amplifier in 2 channel mode to drive this subwoofer setup:

I can buy this Bassworx enclosure which is designed to work with Ram trucks:

I figured I could use the Infinity drivers which I already have with this enclosure.

Do I continue to use a 2 channel setup or would a monoblock amplifier be a better choice? If I get a monoblock amp I could run my current amp in 4 channel mode and use it on the main speakers (which I will replace with better aftermarket options).

Do people typically drive a 2 subwoofer set up with a monoblock or do they run in 2 channel mode like I am presently doing?

First of all, do you like how the kenwood sounds with subs? Have you listened to it running full range speakers recently? Do you like how it sounds with full range speakers? Assuming you like how it sounds both ways, if you need another amp, is a suitable monoblock or 4 channel cheaper? Running subs in stereo is unnecessary but shouldn't be detrimental.

Alternatively run the fronts mains and subs off the kenwood in 3 (or 4) channel mode and run the rear mains off the head unit to save yourself some space and money.

EDIT:
35x4 yuck. At least a new sub amp and possibly a new amp for the mains too. I could see modern head units actually outperforming that kenwood (assuming someone cared a little in the design).

How handy are you? Sure electronics sells highly regarded Class D amps for not much money but you need to enclose them (and many require 24V). On the upside they are very small. I've got a few 2x400W for a work project that isn't yet completed and they are doing better than expected (not 400W per channel, probably about half that but even running just below clipping they run quite cool).

Last edited:
The Sub is way overpowered in my present system (right now the Kenwood deck I have in my HHR powers the main speakers). The bass is crazy and even on -7 I can turn up the volume and the bass will move my hair.

I am open to using my existing bridgeable amp and the drivers in my sub again or selling them off and getting new gear. With the amount of power the sub has I assumed that the amp would do a good job powering the mains in my "new" vehicle.

Edit: I did some research on the amp. It is 35W x 4 RMS. RMS is a whole different thing than peak power. Amperage is a huge thing. My Buddy still has his Harman Karden integrated amp from the 1980s. Thing is rated for 50W RMS. It does not sound like it though. It has been able to power 4ohm speakers with no issues and is able to hit volumes that others with 120 W per channel integrated amps were hitting.

The head unit in my present car is rated for 25W x 4 but must be a tiny amp inside. The Kenwood power amp is a big heavy thing.

Last edited:
Pull the sub and see what the RMS rating is on them (looks like Perfect's so they're in the 350rms range each). I bet a donut they're underpowered no matter which Infinity they are. They're also likely a single 4ohm coil so you won't be able to run both subs off that amp as well as front speakers (but could run one sub).
If it were me I'd use that Kenwood amp on whatever front speakers you replace. It's strong enough to power any mid-priced speaker you choose. Pick up a monoblock to run your subs.

Back
Top Bottom