WARNING For Those That Will Bundle Their Cars With Their Bike Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

WARNING For Those That Will Bundle Their Cars With Their Bike Insurance

Pegassus

Site Supporter
Never in your dreams say "Yes I do" to an insurance agent who asks you non-chalantly if you carry a "tool box" in your vehicle, you will get screwed 3-way-through sunday. My uncle made the mistake of saying this to an insurance agent and he was put into the "commercial vehicle" category and to pay like 180% more than normal on his vehicle which WASN'T even a pick-up truck. After a brief drawback and explanation from my uncle to the agent that his tool box was just a hand-held tool box he uses for changing tires and changing headlights the agent wouldn't budge. My uncle hanged up on him and in the next days called up other insurance brokers and guess what? They all had in their computer notes that he was a 'commercial vehicle' customer. It took a pain-in-the-arse to get this fixed.

So insurance companies share a common data base eh?

That's interesting.

And yeah, that database is called Autoplus

What kind tools he carries. Like a regular tool kit which comes with automobile with some basic wrenches and spanners. Or some professional tools like plumbing/electrician. If its the later then they might think that vehicle is used for commercial purpose. But if it is not used cor commercial purpose and it doesnt have commercial license plate then it should be insured under personal insurance. However the tools will not be covered under car insurance.

There is no such database which shows to other company the notes made by one company or broker unless they have a common underwriting company at back end. Auto plus is a different thing. It has data for personal vehicles and shows the history of insurance e.g. Length the person is insured or Auto claims history

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Most motorcycles come with a tool kit. Does that make them commercial vehicles? Yeah, more to this story.

is the vehicle registered as a commercial vehicle?

No not at all, the insurance industry auto-registered it as such after my uncle was asked an innocous question. He carries one of those fishing-tackle box with screwdrivers, plyers and a hammer. He doesnt work in the construction industry at all, its just a little tool box.

You never volunteer answers to these guys. One time they asked me if I ever give rides to other people "NOPE" was my answer. If you say "yes" you might get a hike or put as a poolcar candidate. Be short and to the point.

Yes. Insurance companies share everything even medical, disability and life. It's terrifying.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Never in your dreams say "Yes I do" to an insurance agent who asks you non-chalantly if you carry a "tool box" in your vehicle, you will get screwed 3-way-through sunday. My uncle made the mistake of saying this to an insurance agent and he was put into the "commercial vehicle" category and to pay like 180% more than normal on his vehicle which WASN'T even a pick-up truck. After a brief drawback and explanation from my uncle to the agent that his tool box was just a hand-held tool box he uses for changing tires and changing headlights the agent wouldn't budge. My uncle hanged up on him and in the next days called up other insurance brokers and guess what? They all had in their computer notes that he was a 'commercial vehicle' customer. It took a pain-in-the-arse to get this fixed.

So insurance companies share a common data base eh?

what does your uncle do for work? if he is a mobile mechanic, or if he does any sort of mobile repairs for compensation then yes, there is business use on the vehicle.

not all commercial policies cost more than personal use, ive seen people who sold their business and now pay more.

There are different commercial rates. A friend / agent saved me hundreds per year by definition.

I was paying trade rates but that includes the usual sparky that races from job to job to supplier and back. It's a different rate if you drive to a site and stay there all day. My buddy got me the latter "Artisan" rate. As I typically only did one job a day.

To the OP something has t be done about the industry in general but the insurers have the government buffaloed.

There's definitely more to the story.

Insurance companies generally ask all the same questions (one way or the other) to narrow down people that are using their personal vehicle for a commercial purposes. He apparently answered yes to one of the questions in such a fashion that they considered it commercial use - either he wasn't listening to the questions clearly to construct the correct answer, he didn't answer clearly enough what he was carrying tools for, or the agent jumped the gun, probably a combination of two.

Regardless, it shouldn't be a complicated process to remedy this if it is the result of a simple misunderstanding.

you will get screwed 3-way-through sunday.

So, only half screwed rather than fully proper screwed then?

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=screwed six ways till sunday

I have to agree with others that have said there has to be more to the story. Why would an insurance company care if you have a tool box in your car. Unless your uncle led them to believe that he uses his vehicle for work, no one will care if you have a tool box. Getting charged more for being prepared...sounds like some bulls**ttin' axle sticks to me.

What part of the thread has anything to do with bundling your bike with your car? Don't carry your bike in your tool box in your car?

Last edited:
Regardless, it shouldn't be a complicated process to remedy this if it is the result of a simple misunderstanding.
Unfortunately it's not just a simple misunderstanding, it's a conspiracy of the globalist elite to keep us down. All we can do is lie in court and insurance applications to get what we feel we deserve.

Unfortunately it's not just a simple misunderstanding, it's a conspiracy of the globalist elite to keep us down. All we can do is lie in court and insurance applications to get what we feel we deserve.
Please, go on.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Once upon a time in an Elk Lodge meeting, rich people decided to gouge us on auto insurance and traffic enforcement. They all lived happily ever after. The end.

Last edited:
I don't get it, my Jeep came from the dealership (brand new) with black plates (commercial plates), I do not pay any more money on insurance than with blue plates.

I don't get it, my Jeep came from the dealership (brand new) with black plates (commercial plates), I do not pay any more money on insurance than with blue plates.

That's different (and stupid). Insurance company rates on use, they understand black plates mean nothing. No idea why Ontario requires commercial plates on trucks (especially considering 99% of them have nothing to do with commercial use). Do you put the validation sticker on the front plate as required or do you put it on the back? Do you have the personal use sticker on the front plate (again stupid)?

X2 above. Black plates do not a commercial vehicle make in the eyes of insurance companies.

Using the vehicle as part of earning an income (aside from commuting) does.

Back
Top Bottom