4 weeks off, where would you go? | GTAMotorcycle.com

4 weeks off, where would you go?

J_F

Gonna pack in this mining gig in Saudi because it sucks, and go for a nice long ride starting early August.
Have some buddies doing a trip last 2 weeks in August up through Quebec and into Labrador, then over 1000 km
on a gravel road and ending up in NFLD. Can't say 1000 km on gravel excites me, so thinking of making my way
east through the US then into the maritimes then meet them in NFLD.

But I've seen most of that. except the NFLD part, a few times.

Other options are head west to Van, then down the coastal highway, then maybe back up route 66

Or, I've never seen the deep south, thinking go down through Tennessee, Arkansas and all that, all the way to Louisiana,
then check out Alabama Mississippi, maybe some of Texas.

Will be solo riding with campimg gear, motel every 4-5 nights to get cleaned up properly.

Where would you go if you had a month to ride?

Gonna pack in this mining gig in Saudi because it sucks, and go for a nice long ride starting early August.
Have some buddies doing a trip last 2 weeks in August up through Quebec and into Labrador, then over 1000 km
on a gravel road and ending up in NFLD. Can't say 1000 km on gravel excites me, so thinking of making my way
east through the US then into the maritimes then meet them in NFLD.

But I've seen most of that. except the NFLD part, a few times.

Other options are head west to Van, then down the coastal highway, then maybe back up route 66

Or, I've never seen the deep south, thinking go down through Tennessee, Arkansas and all that, all the way to Louisiana,
then check out Alabama Mississippi, maybe some of Texas.

Will be solo riding with campimg gear, motel every 4-5 nights to get cleaned up properly.

Where would you go if you had a month to ride?

Out west, no doubt about it. Not sure there's much to see in the south, but Louisiana/New Orleans is cool if you've never been.

Given that you're leaving in August, it's going to get chilly up north near the end of that trip so that's where I would start. My route if I was doing this trip

- Head west through Canada/Northern US to Vancouver. See what you want to see along the way
- Head south through Washington/Oregon/California
- Dip into Baja Mexico, I've always felt reasonably safe.
- Do an inverted U through Arizona, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico
- Across Texas to New Orleans
- Depending on time remaining, explore southern states
- Back home

Focus on spending the most time out west, there is just so much to see.

Edit: Forgot to mention, stay off Route 66! I was given the same advice and ignored it, you probably will too. There is nothing to see. It either runs directly parallel to the interstate, or is the Main St in some small town full of shops selling kitsch, "vintage" diners with way overpriced food, or rebuilt old gas stations. The gas stations are neat, but get boring after a few.

Last edited:
If you're in that part of the continent I would head to south asia. or south-east asia

If you're in that part of the continent I would head to south asia. or south-east asia

Yeah id like to ride across Asia to the southeast. Be a great trip.. 2 issues though, would involve riding through Iraq then Iran, Afghanistan and Pakistan. Not sure my gear is sufficient for that part of the trip. And the bike is in Ontario.

And thanks for the advice Regder. My have some questions. And I like the idea of doing the west and the deep south.

Screw the USA. I'd do Europe. Fly the bike to London, then across channel to France and make my way through to Czech Republic.

Always wanted to ride Europe. Buy a bike over there and then sell when done.

On this continent, went west to BC and south to CAL and back, took a month. Have yet to do the east coast.

Appreciate the comments about places other than NA.... But after working overseas for some time I'm tired of very different. Just want to ride and have no hassles with language or being a visible minority.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01BDC using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

With 4 weeks I'd be pointing the bike towards Vancouver in a heartbeat. Did that trip with our RV in 2008 and it was awesome.

West for sure
I'd skip North of Superior - that can done later.

I'd slab out to Chief Joseph, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone ...Sturgis if that floats your boat.

Then swing north through Glacier, Banff and Jasper then if you want up to Hyder/Stewart.

Then down via 99 ( fabulous ) to Vancouver. Catch Ranier and Mount St Helens

Pick up the PCH to St Luis Obispo ( San Fran is fun for a day )

Swing inland to Yosemite then whatever combinatio of Sequoia, Arches, Bryce, Zion the Grand Canyon

lots of pics of that route here,

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

For sure your ticket for scenery

v2

West for sure
I'd skip North of Superior - that can done later.

I'd slab out to Chief Joseph, Beartooth Pass and Yellowstone ...Sturgis if that floats your boat.

Then swing north through Glacier, Banff and Jasper then if you want up to Hyder/Stewart.

Then down via 99 ( fabulous ) to Vancouver. Catch Ranier and Mount St Helens

Pick up the PCH to St Luis Obispo ( San Fran is fun for a day )

Swing inland to Yosemite then whatever combinatio of Sequoia, Arches, Bryce, Zion the Grand Canyon

lots of pics of that route here,

https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

For sure your ticket for scenery

v2

yeah I've done the north Superior route, very nice, but don't like the idea of where that leaves me
riding across Man and Sask I can't imagine is much fun, that's best done at 35,000 feet

thinking of crossing into Michigan at the Soo and go west from there, more interesting countryside
then back into Canada at Alberta

Don't go back into Canada for the prairies....go via the US and pick up Badlands, Chief Joseph, Beartooth and Yosemite...then go to ALberta via Glacier National Park which crosses the border

then north....

You can travel much faster on the US slab and some decent stuff arrives sooner.

Cross into Michigan at Blue Water ...or you can go via Canada and then south of Lake Superior and west.

yeah I've done the north Superior route, very nice, but don't like the idea of where that leaves me
riding across Man and Sask I can't imagine is much fun, that's best done at 35,000 feet

thinking of crossing into Michigan at the Soo and go west from there, more interesting countryside
then back into Canada at Alberta

If you do this spending time in the Upper Peninsula is fun. The Squeeze and I spent about 3 days chasing down ghost towns. Also some really good roads. The ride to Copper Harbour, down to Fayette, and up to Marquette were all great.

If I had 4 weeks, I'd be going to California. That was my goal last year, but i switched jobs (and broke my hand)

If I had 4 weeks, I'd be going to California. That was my goal last year, but i switched jobs (and broke my hand)

I can relate, see below

Reviving this thread to see what did the OP decide and hopefully give us some pointers.

plans changed as I decided to return to the assignment in Saudi Arabia, so only had 2 weeks off
did a 10 day trip to the east coast, nice ride across the south shore of Quebec
NB highway system is great to blast across to NS
went up to cape Breton, did the Cabot
spent 2 days in Sydney and traveled around that part of the island a bit
was thinking about heading over to NFLD but didn't have the time so stayed on the mainland
around 6500 km in 10 days, fantastic scenery and only one rain day, I love the maritimes

as for the plan change, against my better judgment I decided to return to Saudi
a few weeks after getting there, while managing a maintenance shut down on a piece of mining equipment
a dude dropped a 300 KG hydraulic cylinder on my foot, pretty bad deal

back in Canada now and facing a long rehab, and my riding season is over
really should have quit that job and done the month long tour west

Back
Top Bottom