2017 Day trip photo sharing thread | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2017 Day trip photo sharing thread

I recently went to the Brockville tunnel that's in the book of things to see in Ontario. It has just been renovated and opened to the public as a free attraction. It's actually pretty neat. Probably a long way to go for some from the GTA but if you're heading to see the ruined abbey north of Cornwall that's in that book too it should be on your list. I'll post some pics up soon when I work out how to do it.

do you have a hosting site ?

there is no direct image code button on here which is annoying..

to link to a site

You right click on the photo copy image address.

then type [img ]paste the address [/img ]

There is a space after the g so it won't trigger the code for the example.

If you use my signature image as a test ...right click or control click - the address is bolded below

[img ] http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/signaturepics/sigpic24225_11.gif [/img ]

and looks like this when the code is triggered by losing the spaces
sigpic24225_11.gif

Tried Flickr and Imgur and keep getting "error invalid file"

Edit: this is on an iPad. I think I'm missing the correct .gif or .jpeg URL tag

Last edited:
We did the Brockville tunnel a few months back - it was unfortunately under heavy construction while we were there so unfortunately we couldn't get any closer than the fencing for a photo.

The ruins of St. Raphael in Cornwall was one of my favourites in the 150 book - a friend and I rode out there as part of a 2 day trip chasing about 20 or 30 of the books locations and it was the one of the most memorable ones, I think we wandered around for over an hour - the photos don't do it justice.

raphael.jpg

I'm not sure flicker allows the linking tho img should.

Post just the image address and I will try it.

Google Photo likely best and will stick around.
https://photos.google.com

If you are keen on photography ...500px is excellent but an extra step to post - love the layout tho https://500px.com/macdoc/galleries

I used to use photobucket, free and worked well but like everyone else I am not willing to pay. Flickr does actually work well with linked images. When you click to share the image click on the BBCode and all you have to do is paste that link in, nothing else and the picture displays.
IMG_0287 by B P, on Flickr

Good to know.

I tried a few other sources for free hosting, Flickr was the only one with a code for forums to just paste in and have your picture displayed. Tried Google, Amazon and another one that I cannot remember and could not get any of them to work as simply as Photobucket had.

Google Photos will hotlink successfully but you must first move the photos you want to share into a "Shared" album. If you don't the hotlink URL's won't work as Google Photos is otherwise designed to keep your photos private - the shared album option bypasses that. It's still a bit clunky though.

I run my own server at home for a bunch of other stuff so I just made a personal subdomain strictly for photo hosting here and elsewhere - makes life a lot easier for me.

Google Photos will hotlink successfully but you must first move the photos you want to share into a "Shared" album. If you don't the hotlink URL's won't work as Google Photos is otherwise designed to keep your photos private - the shared album option bypasses that. It's still a bit clunky though.

I run my own server at home for a bunch of other stuff so I just made a personal subdomain strictly for photo hosting here and elsewhere - makes life a lot easier for me.

Sounds more complicated then it needs to be, but whatever works for you in the end. Flickr is simple, drag and drop my photo to upload, save and then click share and get the link I need. No folders, sharing permissions or anything like that.

Sounds more complicated then it needs to be, but whatever works for you in the end. Flickr is simple, drag and drop my photo to upload, save and then click share and get the link I need. No folders, sharing permissions or anything like that.

The server exists for other stuff, and for me it's anything but complicated - I simply wirelessly export from my iPhoto library to the server across the room from me and then hotlink to the domain. I can have a photo from my computer I'm typing on right now on the server and hotlinked in an image here in 10 seconds flat. ;)

This also means I don't have to worry about my photos ever ending up as a dead link if the hosting services ever decide to follow Photobucket's lead and terminate the ability to hotlink. There's literally millions of destroyed forum threads out there now full of dead-link images as a result of this. If FlickR or Google ever decide to follow their lead it'll be the same thing all over again.

The server exists for other stuff, and for me it's anything but complicated - I simply wirelessly export from my iPhoto library to the server across the room from me and then hotlink to the domain. I can have a photo from my computer I'm typing on right now on the server and hotlinked in an image here in 10 seconds flat. ;)

This also means I don't have to worry about my photos ever ending up as a dead link if the hosting services ever decide to follow Photobucket's lead and terminate the ability to hotlink. There's literally millions of destroyed forum threads out there now full of dead-link images as a result of this. If FlickR or Google ever decide to follow their lead it'll be the same thing all over again.

Very true, I am just to cheap to pay for hosting of a few pictures I only use for forums!

I think the issue is that I'm trying to do everything on an iPad. The desktop apps have way more functionality it seems.

You might be better off with IOS 11 high sierra for stuff like this.

Staff here saves a long press might give you the address to copy from the browser

All good!!!! Thanks guys. I'll see if I missed something on the ipad app that would let me do the same thing.

Edit: there's no BBCode sharing option with the iPad app unless it's buried somewhere else.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom