Worlds fastest production motorcycle - Electric..... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Worlds fastest production motorcycle - Electric.....

these things will just keep getting better/faster/ longer range , its the future and its getting really close.

Completely agree. Ignore this at your peril. The end is coming for the internal combustion engine. Battery technology is beginning to move ahead more quickly with massive amounts of research going into it. Read an article last year saying the Saudi Arabians have lowered oil prices because they feel the era of gas-fueled vehicles will end in 40 years. It starts with a trickle, and soon turns into a deluge. I see a lot of Chevy Volts around these days. Volvo is moving entirely to electric vehicles in the next 5 years. Personally, I can't wait until I can ride a bike free of the bondages of the fuel companies. It can't come soon enough.

Completely agree. Ignore this at your peril. The end is coming for the internal combustion engine

Someone needs to tell a few people in my electric car thread. ;)

Volvo is moving entirely to electric vehicles in the next 5 years

Not purely electric - their commitment is to PHEV's like the Volt - primarily electric, but with gas backup/range extension. As I've said time and time again, with even something like the Volt with a 60-90KM electric range, given as how the average consumer drives 50KM a day or less, even limited range EV's work for most people - they just don't know it yet. Range extenders remove the anxiety component.

The biggest challenge right now for a motorcycle application is range. Nobody (including me) wants a bike that can only go a few hundred kilometers (at most) before you're dead in the water....well, unless you're one of those riders who never goes further than the nearest Tim Hortons, but yeah...serious riders, not so much.

My gas powered bike only goes a few hundred kms till its out of gas, i could pump and go or have a pee and another coffee and a quick charge later I'm off again. Fast charge stations will be more popular, charge time will get quicker.
Those 'boosters' you can buy now that are the size of a pack of smokes that can jump start a 12v gas car motor will be sold as a pocket size backup to plug in and get you a 50km boost to the nearest charge station.

What will the loud pipes aftermarket guys do? go away with the buggy whip makers, stubby beer bottles and wringer washing machines. Snow shovels in Florida.

The next "big" small business, wiring home charging stations. Neat clean terminals installed in garages.

Completely agree. Ignore this at your peril. The end is coming for the internal combustion engine. Battery technology is beginning to move ahead more quickly with massive amounts of research going into it. Read an article last year saying the Saudi Arabians have lowered oil prices because they feel the era of gas-fueled vehicles will end in 40 years. It starts with a trickle, and soon turns into a deluge. I see a lot of Chevy Volts around these days. Volvo is moving entirely to electric vehicles in the next 5 years. Personally, I can't wait until I can ride a bike free of the bondages of the fuel companies. It can't come soon enough.

The world's petro-states have invested heavily in foreign economies, looking forward to the distant future when the wells run dry. This includes renewable energy, mining/metals processing and battery development. Saudi Arabia and Norway are excellent examples. When Elon Musk raises capital it's not coming from organic farmer co-ops. Once the EV market segment matures, supply and demand will push the cost of electricity upwards. The only ones in peril will be us, as we struggle to afford utility bills (see the various Liberal hydro blunders). Fossil fuels will remain invaluable for aviation, shipping, construction, plastics, heating and so on. Batteries aren't magic and research on ICE won't suddenly stop. The lords of yore are the lords of today and have prepared their thrones for tomorrow. The air will be cleaner, which is good for breathing in general, but I have my doubts the manacles of consumerism will set us free.

The rich will still be rich, I could put a solar array on my rooftop or a small wind turbine on my chimney, but I cant punch an oil well in my backyard.

Lithium batteries use a LOT of graphite, and mining graphite is one of the dirtiest businesses on the planet. It wont be all unicorns and rainbows getting EV's up and running.

Back
Top Bottom