CBR500R - Good Deal? | GTAMotorcycle.com

CBR500R - Good Deal?

CeCe2

Just finished my M2, got a graduation gift coupon from Honda with my certificate, saving $500 on CBR500R, with current promo of $1,500, looks like I can pick up one of these for $4699 - Good Deal??

If I could pick up a new CB500X for that price, I would likely go for it. Apples and oranges, I suppose.

That price probably doesn't include, freight, PDI, and taxes.

Get a firm quote from a dealer and from an insurance broker before you make a decision.

I always recommend people buy a used bike for their first bike as everybody drops their first bike. Let someone else take the hit for making it ugly. After a season or two sell it for what you paid for it and buy the bike you want.

It's a decent bike... i have the 500x but if you're not gonna do any offroad (lite) or long touring, you don't need the x

$2k off a bike, pull the trigger id say.

I always recommend people buy a used bike for their first bike as everybody drops their first bike. Let someone else take the hit for making it ugly. After a season or two sell it for what you paid for it and buy the bike you want.

Good point. That reminds me...a naked bike is harder to break than one with plastic/fibreglass fairings.

Great deal and a nice starter bike. I had '14 of same bike. Do it up!

Remember if you're buying new and financing you will *need* to carry full coverage at added cost for insurance, and hey, you'll probably want that anyways since it's your first bike and the chances of dropping it are much higher.

On that topic, call for quotes BEFORE buying the bike. Make sure you don't get any surprises after it's too late.

is it $4700 OTD? My first 2 bikes were new and just a bit lower than that. Bought used ever since and recommend it. But if you don't know what to look for or know someone to help, new is a good way to go. But these days the internet is a great thing to learn what/who to look for.

I bought my first bike (2011 CBR250RA) new, and didn't regret it. Price was right, I knew I would be careful, and also put frame sliders on it right away (before the first ride actually, lol).

Different strokes for different folks, but I do like new (if it fits within budget and still makes sense cost wise), as it means the bike has never been mistreated, like so many 'learner bikes' have been. Not to mention you'll basically know there will be no repair costs for a good while, vs buying used and potentially into a money trap.

Love when people say that...got my R3 brand new as first bike never came close to dropping it. It's all about what you want in a motorcycle. Do research, think about how long you will keep it and be aware of deprecation.

Love when people say that...got my R3 brand new as first bike never came close to dropping it. It's all about what you want in a motorcycle. Do research, think about how long you will keep it and be aware of deprecation.
Agreed. It's pretty ignorant to say that everyone drops their first bike. I most certainly haven't.
*knock on wood

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

It's not literally true, but don't think you're not going to drop it because you're more careful/smarter/a better rider than other beginners.

Don't worry to much about "dropping" it. It can happen to anyone, of any level of experience. It might just be uneven footing at a stoplight that gets you. Put some frame sliders on whatever bike you get to help minimize the cosmetic damage of the bike falling on its side. Some folding levers can prevent snapping one if it does go over.

Just finished my M2, got a graduation gift coupon from Honda with my certificate, saving $500 on CBR500R, with current promo of $1,500, looks like I can pick up one of these for $4699 - Good Deal??

Pickup an R3 used or new in that price range, only has about 4hp less then the 500R if i remember correctly.

Last edited:
sounds like a good deal, see if you can reduce the frieght and pdi amount to save a bit more on overall cost or get them to throw in some free accessories (dc plug for phone, gps, etc or saddle bags or whatever you want)
i wouldnt worry much about dropping the bike, like blackfin said it can happen to anyone.
i bought my yamaha fz07 brand new, no regrets. and its new... worry-free riding, only issue is keeping it under 5000rpm for the first 1500km LOL

good luck on your purchase, ride safe!

sounds like a good deal, see if you can reduce the frieght and pdi amount to save a bit more on overall cost or get them to throw in some free accessories (dc plug for phone, gps, etc or saddle bags or whatever you want)
i wouldnt worry much about dropping the bike, like blackfin said it can happen to anyone.
i bought my yamaha fz07 brand new, no regrets. and its new... worry-free riding, only issue is keeping it under 5000rpm for the first 1500km LOL

good luck on your purchase, ride safe!

Keeping it under 5000rpm? That doesn't sound right.

Are you sure the wording doesn't say do not run above 5000rpm for long periods?

The wording is " avoid prolonged operation above 5000 rpm "

Which is why I said thats the hardest part... to keep it under 5000 rpm.... same shet different pile....

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom