Ignition Coil Testing | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ignition Coil Testing

Hey guys. One more question. Whats the purpose of the resistor and the spring in the spark plug boot. It appears the only 1 of the 2 plugs in each cylinder have the resistor setup and the other doesnt...??? Do I need to maintain this if I get new plugs?
thanks

The stock caps had the resistors and springs supposedly to minimize radio interference.
Plug caps are cheap, maybe buy 4 new ones while you're grabbing some plugs ?

That's good you made progress. New wires might be in order. You'll get a much healthier spark too.

Next you need to check if fuel is flowing into the carbs. Unscrew the float bowl drain screw on each carb one at a time and see if fuel flows out. If you have fuel coming from both carbs, then tighten it all up. Now again with the fuel tap on, do you get any fuel leaking out of the carb overflow tubes? If so, you may have a stuck float.
Also, check the airbox and air filter for blockage.
If that all checks out, pull a spark plug from each cylinder and see if you smell gas down in the cylinder. If not, pull the carbs. You may need to disassemble and clean them.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

previously, he had no spark.

new wires and plug caps are a good investment. I wouldn't worry about new plug caps not having resistors? people with radios may say otherwise?

robbo asked a good question earlier in the thread - were you removing and testing the coils because you had no spark? I assumed this to be the case.

Last edited:
Decided to pull the carbs. It is in fact a stupid amount of gunk in the bowls. The jets were plugged.
Strange because I don't think I have more than 1000km on since the last carb cleaning. Where could this gunk come from. Filters are in tact. It looked like wet brown sugar...
Glad I found it..

I didn't remove the coils because I didn't have spark. I was more testing the specs and thought that may have been off.

Decided to pull the carbs. It is in fact a stupid amount of gunk in the bowls. The jets were plugged.
Strange because I don't think I have more than 1000km on since the last carb cleaning. Where could this gunk come from. Filters are in tact. It looked like wet brown sugar...
Glad I found it..

tank rust?

Remove the petcock/fuel tap bowl. Same gunk? The filter screen may need to be replaced.
Best to flush out and clean the tank and petcock.
Replace any worn petcock parts, clean the carbs again, put in new fuel lines and maybe add inline fuel filters.

Tank may have a bit of that, yes. But the filter in peacock is in tact, and filters in each carb are good also...not sure but I'm am def going to add a paper inline as well.

Did you happen to take a pic of the gunk in the carbs that you could post here?

Hopefully cleaning those carbs will get the bike going and you can get out riding soon.

Back
Top Bottom