Wasnt sure what to say... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Wasnt sure what to say...

Paulee

So this morning a co-worker of mine had asked me if I take (x) route home (which I do) because he thought he saw me going up Islington on my bike. He then proceeded to tell me he envys me because he always wanted to try riding but to "Do myself a favour and stop" because its not worth it.

He just kept saying "Do yourself a favour", "Its not going to be you, its going to be someone else who hits you". Then he proceeded to ask if I have any kids/age/relationship status/family questions. I sat there trying not to make eye contact because I was hoping he would just stop talking. It would of been a different story if he would of just said "Stay safe out there" like most other people. But to tell me to do myself a favour and think about my family, that "No parent should have to bury their child" definitely rubbed me a bit of the wrong way. Also keep in mind I met this guy a week ago and I was wearing full gear when he saw me, which I wear always.

Any of you guys experienced a situation like this?

Last edited:
I generally just walk off on comments like that. I already got loving parents. I don't need an extra

There are a lot worse ways to die.
You take a chance every day. We take a bigger chance. Do everything you can to minimize that risk.
Anyway, when people say stuff like that I take the wise penguin's advice: "smile and wave boys smile and wave"

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

All the time - but it's always from a non-rider.

I just say thanks but they wouldn't understand.

Like Joe said...there are worse ways to die.

When I was 9 years old I was at sick kids with cancer for awhile. 10 years later all the radiation they gave me caused another Tumor and I had to go under the knife again. Luckily the 2nd time I was spared the Chemo and radiation.

I work in emergency services and I deal with Motorcycle accidents everyday. Having been in a Motorcycle collision myself it comes up in my mind more often now when I ride.

However, living (imo) means different things to different people. To some people it means being alive everyday, and to others it means doing things that make you feel alive everyday.

Also, life is full of peril. A friend of mine was waiting for the pedestrian light to change when a drunk driver caused a collision and one of the involved vehicles hopped the curb and pinned her to a wall. She spent the next few years learning to walk again.
Like Al Pacino said in Heat. You can get killed walking your doggie!

When people tell me to be careful because I ride, I thank them and tell them to keep their eyes open for riders.

When people start to preach to me I wait for an opening and tell them all that I mentioned above. Unfortunately though some people think that us riders are just asking to be killed everytime we ride, when we are really just asking to live a little.

Just my 2cents

Ask them why soldiers, firemen, police, racers, hockey players etc do what they do? Life has an element of risk (and mitigating risk). Life can be boring. Life should be more than working hard and paying taxes. Perception is everything. I have had far more injuries snowmobiling, water skiing and weight training than motorcycling. It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Happy apexes.

Your new co-worker clearly has opinions on certain activities and lifestyle and feels the need to warn you of the risks.
Some people do it to justify to themselves why they are not out there riding...and some people just don't have a filter.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

A couple of years ago I was partnered to play golf with an older gentleman. During the course of our conversation he became aware that I rode a motorcycle daily. After our round we were sitting for lunch and he told me he lost his only son in a motorcycle accident. I told him how sorry I was for his loss and that I do everything I can to keep myself safe. It was never mentioned again, but it was a reminder for me that although I accept the risk, family and loved ones have to deal with the consequences. We need to be compassionate for the person who is concerned for your safety. I know I would never want to lose a son or daughter myself.

A couple of years ago I was partnered to play golf with an older gentleman. During the course of our conversation he became aware that I rode a motorcycle daily. After our round we were sitting for lunch and he told me he lost his only son in a motorcycle accident. I told him how sorry I was for his loss and that I do everything I can to keep myself safe. It was never mentioned again, but it was a reminder for me that although I accept the risk, family and loved ones have to deal with the consequences. We need to be compassionate for the person who is concerned for your safety. I know I would never want to lose a son or daughter myself.
Hmm, good counter point.

Definitely agree with you here but I think you can usually tell the difference between someone who actually cares for your safety and In this case I dont think my co-worker was being genuine. A simple "be safe out there" would have been enough.

sounds like the guy who hardly knows you at all has poor social skills
over time I wouldn't be surprised if you discover he's telling others how to live

but who knows what caused this guy to be who he is

A neighbor across the street was walking with his very young daughters and stopped to say hello. I was washing my bike and he commented that my bike looked great, but that motorcycles were very dangerous. I responded that you had to ride very defensively. He looked unconvinced and carried on.

I think your guy knew someone who was injured or killed in some type of accident and this was his well intentioned but clumsy and awkward way of cautioning you to think of risk vs. reward. He obviously feels riding a bike is completely discretionary (and it is) and if you really thought about the risk of severe injury or death vs. the pleasure of riding you'd make the proper choice and stop riding. Sounds like he's is expressing sincere concern about you and/or those close to you. I'd just respond "thank you for your concern" and move on, it's not like you're going to have a detailed pro/con discussion with him and sell him on the pleasure of riding offsetting the risk of negatives

We are all guaranteed a death eventually. In the meantime, it's up to YOU to balance your life properly.

The only people who ever warned me about the "dangers" of motorcycling were:

a) not riders
b) borderline addicts or alcoholics

Riding is absolutely not a death wish. Ignore the fools who believe it is.

He then proceeded to tell me he envys me because he always wanted to try riding but to "Do myself a favour and stop" because its not worth it.

Or rather he always wanted to try riding, but his wife won't let him so nobody should be allowed to...
If he "wanted to try" why hasn't he... So really, I guess he never wanted to enough.

These beta's should mind their own business.

"Of" and "have" don't even sound the same. Why do people do this???

That just upset me more than some guy telling OP how to live his life. ;)
You totally lost me on this.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Stranger tells you "riding a motorcycle can be dangerous."

You reply "So can offering unsolicited opinions and advice to strangers."

Then you throw him a lingering Clint-Eastwood-stinkeye.

mwnn.jpg

Message sent :)

We don't always know the perspective of the person giving the advise.

The coworker may have lost a friend to a motorcycle accident.

One of my coworkers lost a very good friend who perished riding a Busa failing to negotiate a corner. It was said to be a windy day and lost control.

I don't know the circumstances if real or not. But the loss is. His concern for me is real.

I still ride. I've got 3 kids, 2 step kids, wife and family and friends.

Eating fast food can kill me.

Cancer can kill me.

I can get T-Boned from someone running a red light.

I can have a heart attack etc.

I'm going to live my life on my terms for as long as I can.

And try not to tempt fate too much.

But I'm still a child in many ways.

Hey! I quit smoking years ago. Can't avoid all things that are dangerous.

I'll probably need a liver from alcohol abuse.

I won't get it. And that's ok.

But I'm still going to ride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom