Cyclist taken out | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cyclist taken out

Re: Cyclist hit and run

If the area allows bicycles to use the whole lane, it doesn't matter if they are on the right or left part of the lane. Drivers need to suck it up and wait to pass cleanly. It holds them up what a few minutes at most? It was a National Park, no?

Sooner or later somebody is gonna lose their sht!

Don't tell me cyclists didn't see that coming

This isn't a question of who was at fault here folks. The bike was absolutely within the confines of the law. This was another clear case of a guy with a bad temper almost killing someone because they were in the way. Not sure if anyone has noticed, but car drivers think they should be the only ones on the road and everyone else is a PITA. That includes bicycles, motorcycles and trucks. This man blatantly lied and told the police the bike rider threw his bike at him, then he found out there was a vid. He is a criminal who belongs in jail.

Undoubtedly, this particular driver belongs in jail. He committed an assault, at the very least, and used his vehicle as a weapon. The cyclists were within their rights, based on the local laws. The area's signage indicates that cyclists can use the whole lane.

Keep in mind, however, that laws vary from place to place. In Ontario while there is law stating that bicycles are 'entitled to the entire lane', there is also law stating that cyclists must ride single file, to the right of the roadway, and that slower vehicles must turn out to the right in order for faster moving vehicles to pass. Those Tour de France wannabes you see on rural roads riding in a clump and blocking entire lanes are, in fact, breaking the law. That bicycle activist woman who rides around Toronto in the middle of the lane, screaming at cars that try to pass her, is breaking the law. (She likes to quote a particular HTA statute, but stops before the part which states she has to move over.) As with us motorcyclists, cyclists have to realize when they are making people angry enough to do something stupid. It's only in their own best interest.

it doesnt matter the mode of transport, you'll run into wankers. Even ski hills and cottage lakes get idiots.
In this video instance, the cyclists are in the right and the guy that bolted after the collision is VERY wrong. His attitude after the fact is pretty consistent with what you hear these days, he needs some alone time in jail to improve his memory.

Undoubtedly, this particular driver belongs in jail. He committed an assault, at the very least, and used his vehicle as a weapon. The cyclists were within their rights, based on the local laws. The area's signage indicates that cyclists can use the whole lane.

Keep in mind, however, that laws vary from place to place. In Ontario while there is law stating that bicycles are 'entitled to the entire lane', there is also law stating that cyclists must ride single file, to the right of the roadway, and that slower vehicles must turn out to the right in order for faster moving vehicles to pass. Those Tour de France wannabes you see on rural roads riding in a clump and blocking entire lanes are, in fact, breaking the law. That bicycle activist woman who rides around Toronto in the middle of the lane, screaming at cars that try to pass her, is breaking the law. (She likes to quote a particular HTA statute, but stops before the part which states she has to move over.) As with us motorcyclists, cyclists have to realize when they are making people angry enough to do something stupid. It's only in their own best interest.

Self important people like to break the law because they're important in their own minds. Then they run into someone who also thinks they,re important and the one with the bigger mass of steel wins.

In short if law enforcement doesn't do anything about the escalating situation we will end up with anarchy. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Self important people like to break the law because they're important in their own minds. Then they run into someone who also thinks they,re important and the one with the bigger mass of steel wins.

In short if law enforcement doesn't do anything about the escalating situation we will end up with anarchy. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Thats why we needs laws. They're for those too stupid to do the right thing on their own.

traffic law dictates bikes are to ride on the right side of the road, not hugging the centre line. I highly doubt there is an exemption for federal parks highways in the written law.

two ********, but car gets award for being not just an *******, but a lying dangerous *******.

jail time seems fair to me. that was clearly a hit and run - the driver knew he hit that bike rider (intentional or not).

according to you tube, the car driver was arrested and his vehicle impounded.

Last edited:

traffic law dictates bikes are to ride on the right side of the road, not hugging the centre line. I highly doubt there is an exemption for federal parks highways in the written law.

two ********, but car gets award for being not just an *******, but a lying dangerous *******.

jail time seems fair to me. that was clearly a hit and run - the driver knew he hit that bike rider (intentional or not).

according to you tube, the car driver was arrested and his vehicle impounded.

Federal law does in fact dictate that cyclists stay to the right in places like National Parks, however, that is overridden by specific signage on that particular section of road.

That's a definition of not sharing the road

Jeez is it that hard to pass a bunch of bikes? They are going 40ish, get close and floor it. There was no incoming traffic. Not sure about the rules in that area but in ON you can pass on double solid line. It would be douchy of them to hold a bunch of cars behind them with lots of incoming traffic.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

Jeez is it that hard to pass a bunch of bikes? They are going 40ish, get close and floor it. There was no incoming traffic. Not sure about the rules in that area but in ON you can pass on double solid line. It would be douchy of them to hold a bunch of cars behind them with lots of incoming traffic.

There it's against the law.

Even if they rode single file the car would have to cross the double yellow to safely pass them.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. I have no idea how wide the lanes are and the video certainly didn't demonstrate their width.

Even if they rode single file the car would have to cross the double yellow to safely pass them.

The drivers would have to move part of their vehicle across the lines if the cyclists were single file, that's true. But, when they take up the whole lane the drivers now have to move their entire cars into oncoming traffic. And from the short clip it looks as though there are a lot of blind turns on that road. Clearly the driver of the Volvo has some serious rage issues, but if the cyclists had been single file then this wouldn't have happened. Law or no law, the road was paved for cars, and paid for by gas and other vehicle related taxes, so I do think the cyclists should realize they're a guest on the road and behave accordingly.

Federal law does in fact dictate that cyclists stay to the right in places like National Parks, however, that is overridden by specific signage on that particular section of road.

Have you seen the sign and its wording? I haven't, maybe i missed it. Difficult to comment on it without knowing.
The sign may be posted to let bike riders know they can pass other bicyclists within the lane...

EDIT driver has four charges including leave the scene and reckless endangerment.
university where he works have put him on leave of absence while they investigate.

Last edited:

Have you seen the sign and its wording? I haven't, maybe i missed it. Difficult to comment on it without knowing.
The sign may be posted to let bike riders know they can pass other bicyclists within the lane...
there is a picture of it in the first post

https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpre...d-1024x733.jpg

While the rider wasn't in the safest position on the road he had every right to be there. Even if shouldn't have been over that far the driver of the volvo shouldn't have hit him. Since separate eye witness reports indicate the same car attempted to hit a cyclist earlier that week I'd suspect the hit was intentional. Riding in an inconsiderate manner does not mean someone else can go vigilante justice on them.

The drivers would have to move part of their vehicle across the lines if the cyclists were single file, that's true. But, when they take up the whole lane the drivers now have to move their entire cars into oncoming traffic. And from the short clip it looks as though there are a lot of blind turns on that road. Clearly the driver of the Volvo has some serious rage issues, but if the cyclists had been single file then this wouldn't have happened. Law or no law, the road was paved for cars, and paid for by gas and other vehicle related taxes, so I do think the cyclists should realize they're a guest on the road and behave accordingly.

If the driver has to move part of the car across the line he has to wait for a gap in the incoming traffic anyways. It doesn't matter how far he has to go on the incoming line traffic. If the riders were in single file and the car attempted to pass them at the same time an incoming car was coming they might get pushed off the road.

Interesting to see all the discussion. I see some misinformation and assumptions. And some partial blaming of the cyclist. There also seems to be some helpful info in the first post that was missed or ignored. And here's some more info that should help.

I find it important to note what was mentioned somewhat directly here earlier, that rules vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It is wrong to quote other jurisdictional traffic laws, and often very misleading. It is also basic common sense that local traffic laws supercede other jurisdictional state and federal legislation prescriptions, and provincial/state/federal traffic laws are written in a manner that literally identifies and acknowledges that. That is why there are visible and enforceable speed limits above and below provincial and federal prescriptions, for example.

It is basic common sense to always follow the local posted signage. I have no idea why so many people refuse to do this and why that is the case. As mentioned before, there was a lot of local posted signage identifying the local laws and permissions where the cyclist was hit. Yet we continually see in comments on this story all over the internet where a significant number of people ignore this basic tenet of driving.

That is the root of much of the incorrect statements out there; people using a little knowledge and personal experience to guide their actions and feedback, to the point of literally overriding obvious local signage that prescribes the rules and laws!

A few notes as I have found from reading up on this event.

This road is a very well known cycling road in a national park, to the point of being a designated bicycle route with specific posted allowances, and it is especially crowded with cycling on weekends.
The accident happened on a Saturday.
The road has no transport function and no destination point for commercial traffic.
The speed limit on this national park road varies between 40 and 50 mph.
There are lots of posted signs on the road identifying that cyclists may use the full lane AND to change lanes to pass (passing on the double lines is permitted in this case. Literally look at the first post in this thread which has a picture of the signs!).

The local law enforcement clarified the rules of the road in a recent new article, which naturally agrees with the posted signs. http://fox17.com/news/local/acting-...ice-clarifies-rules-of-road-for-bicycles-cars

To summarize things, while the CFR makes a general statement on rules of the road, they can be superseded by parts of state law and signage posted by the park superintendent where applicable.

Last edited:

EDIT driver has four charges including leave the scene and reckless endangerment.
university where he works have put him on leave of absence while they investigate.

A picture to one of the signs was in the provided links.

Interesting to see the discussion. I see some misinformation and assumptions stated as if it were facts. And that's how the cyclist gets blamed. There seems to be some info in the first post that was missed or ignored from some of the obviously wrong conclusions.

I find it important to note what was mentioned somewhat directly here earlier, that rules vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. It is wrong to quote other jurisdictional traffic laws, and often very misleading. It is also basic common sense that local traffic laws supercede other jurisdictional state and federal legislation prescriptions, and provincial/state/federal traffic laws are written in a manner that literally identifies and acknowledges that. That is why there are visible and enforceable speed limits above and below provincial and federal prescriptions, for example.

It is basic common sense to always follow the local posted signage. I have no idea why so many people refuse to do this and why that is the case. As mentioned before, there was a lot of local posted signage identifying the local laws and permissions where the cyclist was hit. Yet we continually see in comments on this story all over the internet where a significant number of people ignore this basic tenet of driving.

That is the root of much of the incorrect statements out there; people using a little knowledge and personal experience to guide their actions and feedback, to the point of literally overriding obvious local signage that prescribes the rules and laws!

A few notes as I have found from reading up on this event.

This road is a very well known cycling road in a national park, to the point of being a designated bicycle route with specific posted allowances, and it is especially crowded with cycling on weekends.
The accident happened on a Sunday.
The road has no transport function and no destination point for commercial traffic.
The speed limit on this national park road varies between 40 and 50 mph.
There is lots of posted signage on the road identifying that cyclists may use the full lane AND to change lanes to pass (passing on the double lines is permitted in this case. Literally look at the first post in this thread which has a picture of the signs!).

The local law enforcement clarified the rules of the road, which naturally agrees with the posted signs.
http://fox17.com/news/local/acting-...ice-clarifies-rules-of-road-for-bicycles-cars

In National Parks the park rangers are the law enforcement.* That's why they actually have Federal traffic laws in the US; because, among other things, they apply in the same way that local laws do when on Federal Reservations, like National Parks.

*Did my research after a Shenandoah National Park Ranger tried to entrap me into passing him at significantly greater than the speed limit for the area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom