Transmission Shop recommendation... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Transmission Shop recommendation...

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Alright guys, since you were all so helpful last year when my clutch was acting up I wanted to get some advise on where to go to look at the transmission. Went to Honda for a squeaky clutch pedal when being pressed in/out....last year they said it was the master cylinder and (thankfully!) was replaced under warranty! If you recall the year before that the clutch was acting up and with GTAM advice I was able to find the culprit and get the slave cylinder replaced under warranty.

A few days ago I heard the same squeaky noise...great same master cylinder....take it in for repair...and...it's the clutch release bearing! $1100+$300 for some clutch bracket and none of it is covered under warranty!

I immediately thought that I'm selling this thing and getting the Volt, but thought I'd ask to see if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to get a second opinion?

Thankfully the issue isn't in danger of breaking anything so I've got time, but I like to get on top of these things before they do become an issue. Dealer said could be 3, 6, 12, or 24 months....noise is very seldom and very random currently.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some serious stuff has to come apart to get at clutch innards. If the car was a keeper I'd do the whole thing but for a soon-to-be-traded I'd minimize city driving and wait until it got worse.

The key point would be whether the failure occurs gradually allowing one to get home or is there a chance of a sudden blowup. Mechanics' comments please.

noisy clutch release bearing will typically still work for quite awhile until failure
you can prolong the life until you dump the car by modifying driving a bit
use the clutch only to start and stop, rev match on up shift, no clutch
if you can't get that working on downshift, then don't downshift sequentially through the gears
slow down and wait until you need to get back on the throttle then select the correct gear and go

and turn up the radio

It's an expensive repair. It's all dependant on how easy it is to drop and access the transmission. It's labour, not parts that get expensive.

I had an old car that took about 8hrs alone just to remove the tranfer case and tranny.

My current car you can drop, and reinstall the tranny and clutch in about 3hrs total.

Like others have said, modify your driving habits if you are not going to replace soon.

It's a gamble on when / if it will grenade. Could be 2 days, could be 12 months.

Last edited:
On that note - I know what a failing release bearing looks/sounds like, but what does a complete failure present as? Impossible to disengage the clutch?

Guys, he doesn't dispute the cost, he wants to find a good place that can confirm/refute the (dealer?) diagnosis.

On that note - I know what a failing release bearing looks/sounds like, but what does a complete failure present as? Impossible to disengage the clutch?

when the bearing comes apart, part of it will end up rattling around on the trans input shaft
and yeah I believe it will be impossible to release the pressure plate so it will not disengage

Correct.
Lots of rattling while the part breaks apart and tumbles around inside, then you will not be able to shift through any gears.

A job like this doesn't necessarily need a transmission shop to do it. It's just a clutch replacement. There's nothing special about this job aside from the usual aggravation of working on any modern car (not enough space to swing a wrench, having to move a bunch of other stuff out of the way first). Any independent shop that works on Hondas should be able to do it.

A job like this doesn't necessarily need a transmission shop to do it. It's just a clutch replacement. There's nothing special about this job aside from the usual aggravation of working on any modern car (not enough space to swing a wrench, having to move a bunch of other stuff out of the way first). Any independent shop that works on Hondas should be able to do it.

I'd love to do it at home, but I don't have enough of the tools to actually get to the clutch. Love working on my car when I can...but I think this would just be a little too much for a home job...Now is the perfect time as I can take the rest of the summer considering I ride and commute by GO to work. Car's not really needed at the moment so can be in pieces.

Back
Top Bottom