Cheapest way to ship large parcels? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cheapest way to ship large parcels?

jc100

Someone is interested in buying the OEM side cases off my bike. They live in Switzerland. I'll probably have to send two boxes as these are large cases, think heavy plastic Givi type things.

Whats the cheapest way of sending these out? Canada Post seems a bit out there with pricing. I don't have access to corporate courier rates or anything. I don't think shipping time is necessarily an issue but I'd hope weeks rather than months at the outside.

Canada Post is your best bet - I've never come across anyone else that can match them on cost.

jc100 check with Chit Chats Express.

Canada Post is your best bet - I've never come across anyone else that can match them on cost.

Much cheaper to use a bulk reshipper like the above-mentioned.

Oh. Yeah, they have a bunch of locations across the GTA (and Vancouver and Montreal), but nothing close to you. Closest would be their Pickering head office.

I have heard that Greyhound freight is very competitive for large items. I can't personally speak from experience, but worth a call.

I have heard that Greyhound freight is very competitive for large items. I can't personally speak from experience, but worth a call.

I've used Greyhound to ship stuff across Canada a few times before, they were awesome and super cheap. I think it cost me $40 to ship a pair of Givi cases from Calgary to Toronto.

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure they only ship within Canada.

Is it practical to ship out of the USA ie Buffalo. The price I got to ship a Goldwing seat Canada Post was ridiculous.

Is it practical to ship out of the USA ie Buffalo. The price I got to ship a Goldwing seat Canada Post was ridiculous.

Watertown is about 40mins to an hour away. Wonder if customs would give me hassle? Would rather not have to drive an hour for this though.

OP wants to ship to Switzerland, a bus will need one hell of a running start.....

My company ships to Switzerland, but I assure you our trucks don't go there. Canada Post doesn't go to Switzerland either, nor does other parcel carriers like CanPar, Purolator, etc...but they can still get a shipment there.

Interline agreements make that happen.

I agree it's unlikely Greyhound could do that sort of thing, but like I said, it's an easy call, and I was just tossing that out moreso for others perhaps vs our our OP.

As for the OP, well...honestly, you are not going to find any method of shipping something that large overseas that isn't likely going to exceed their value. If the buyer wants them bad enough and is willing to pay whatever the cost might be, then I wouldn't go crazy driving hours away to ship them or anything - find the most reasonable option locally, send them the price, and then see if they want to pay it. If not, well, they don't want them that bad I guess.

One thing to keep in mind is that for a shipment that far away you really should crate them. Packing them in cardboard is almost certainly a recipe for them not arriving intact/undamaged. I have been in the freight industry for decades, and trust me, you have no idea how many times your shipment will be handled between A and B, and HOW it will be handled along the way. Just dropping them in a cardboard box with some newspaper around them for protection is unlikely to end well.

When you get into crated shipments, or shipments beyond a certain size, you are generally in freight vs parcel territory, so you may want to call some freight forwarders and go from there. You will need the dimensions of the shipment and the weight before they will quote you anything - dimensions are the most important part because large items that don't weigh much are shipped by cubic weight, not actual weight.

give buyer the option of flying to Ontario
take them back as checked baggage

around $600 airfare without searching much

Watertown is about 40mins to an hour away. Wonder if customs would give me hassle? Would rather not have to drive an hour for this though.

USA border won't care one bit. Personal items taken across are fine. And then you decide to ship those items from that country, no problem.

Just call all any of the parcel/courier depo on the USA side and see get some quotes to see if it's worth the effort.

USA border won't care one bit. Personal items taken across are fine. And then you decide to ship those items from that country, no problem.

Just call all any of the parcel/courier depo on the USA side and see get some quotes to see if it's worth the effort.
They can and will care if they feel like giving you a bad day.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

They can and will care if they feel like giving you a bad day.

Possibly. If the item is already packaged for shipping, it could raise a concern. That I didn't think about.

When I commented, I was thinking more from the times I've crossed with personal items I've shipped to friends in the USA from Buffalo. Nothing as large as panniers but, I also purchase the packaging at the mail box depot where I'm shipping it from. And it's been sometime since I've done it. Likely a year or so?

My address is close to the border and my fuel is covered. It's just the time and expense of the bridge toll that can be a factor for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly. If the item is already packaged for shipping, it could raise a concern. That I didn't think about.

When I commented, I was thinking more from the times I've crossed with personal items I've shipped to friends in the USA from Buffalo. Nothing as large as panniers but, I also purchase the packaging at the mail box depot where I'm shipping it from. And it's been sometime since I've done it. Likely a year or so?

My address is close to the border and my fuel is covered. It's just the time and expense of the bridge toll that can be a factor for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only say that because a friend of mine who is on this board as well got turned away at the border when going over to ship some things because of a bunch of reasons.

Regardless, it's doubtful that shipping something overseas from the USA is going to cost significantly less than shipping something overseas from Canada, especially once transportation time & costs and the dollar exchange are added in.

There's also the added potential for issues if they arrive damaged and a claim becomes necessary - more trips across the border etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom