Forks - 138kph in a 50 Zone | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Forks - 138kph in a 50 Zone

In any event, definitely the old fellas with no experience, riding heavy tanks are a liability

no ...they are riding high powered bikes and get themselves in trouble....and dead or injured...

the majority of fatalities on OPP patrolled roads are riders in the 45-65 age group.

Last edited:
I've seen that article linked here quite a few times, but I always questioned the statistical legitimacy of it.

Face it, if the middle aged cruiser market was as high risk as that article suggests based on accident statistics, particularly since the accidents tend to be more surviveable (IE, rehab and all the medical costs associated with it, vs death), one would expect accordingly that insurance for that segment would be expensive.

And it is not. It's actually quite cheap, even for a brand new rider in the >35/40YO category. Look at my wife for example, just got her M2 in April 2016 and her first year of insurance was under $500.

I think the fact that a lot of cruiser owners ride laughably few kilometers might also be taken into consideration though. Look no further than the buy and sell market for cruisers and it doesn't take long to see that most average 1000KM or less per year or age. There are a LOT of "riders" in this segment who literally just do a Timmies hop on weekends and then park the bike for another 7 days. You're far less likely to be involved in an accident when your entire season is completed with 500KM and you never went further than the Timmies in the next town over.

Now, to play devils advocate, many of the "young kid on a SS" crowd might also do a similar number of Kilometers in a season (1000 or less), but IN those 1000K they are acting far riskier. IE, the cruiser guy takes 20 minutes to get to the Timmies in the next town, but the SS guy is there in 90 seconds. ;)

I've seen that article linked here quite a few times, but I always questioned the statistical legitimacy of it.

Face it, if the middle aged cruiser market was as high risk as that article suggests based on accident statistics, particularly since the accidents tend to be more surviveable (IE, rehab and all the medical costs associated with it, vs death), one would expect accordingly that insurance for that segment would be expensive.

And it is not. It's actually quite cheap, even for a brand new rider in the >35/40YO category. Look at my wife for example, just got her M2 in April 2016 and her first year of insurance was under $500.

I think the fact that a lot of cruiser owners ride laughably few kilometers might also be taken into consideration though. Look no further than the buy and sell market for cruisers and it doesn't take long to see that most average 1000KM or less per year or age. There are a LOT of "riders" in this segment who literally just do a Timmies hop on weekends and then park the bike for another 7 days. You're far less likely to be involved in an accident when your entire season is completed with 500KM and you never went further than the Timmies in the next town over.

Now, to play devils advocate, many of the "young kid on a SS" crowd might also do a similar number of Kilometers in a season (1000 or less), but IN those 1000K they are acting far riskier. IE, the cruiser guy takes 20 minutes to get to the Timmies in the next town, but the SS guy is there in 90 seconds. ;)

I remember getting there in 90 seconds back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom