Driving course mandatory? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Driving course mandatory?

race_17

New to this bike thing. Is it must to have a motorcycle driving course to get insurance these days? I'm over 30 and called a few places and they all need this course. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

not that I am aware of, but Insurance companies can do or say what they want....

I have no formal course of any kind never did, and I get insurance...

some insurance companies don't even recognize the course anyways and you don't get no reduction in premiums even if you do have it...

New to this bike thing.
Called around and they all required it.
Not mandatory, but I think you know what the answer is.
You will learn a lot.
You will save on insurance.
It will probably save your life.
Welcome to the forum.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

I'm not opposed to the course. I'd like to try my bike on the road while I wait till Sept for a course. I like in the sticks. I just wondering if anyone insures without it.

I didn't think anyone required the course. I thought they just bent you over on pricing if you didn't take it.

What Joe said....

X3 what Joe said.

What you learn there can and very well may save your life someday, so take the course and make your life easier all around.

Intact can insure you without the motorcycle training course completed, but I would highly recommend you take the training course prior to obtaining your insurance.

Yes but has almost nothing to do with insurance rates,

Umm....safer rider = less likely to crash = less insurance claims.

It has everything to do with insurance rates.

Umm....safer rider = less likely to crash = less insurance claims.

It has everything to do with insurance rates.

Agree, safer, better, rider

As for rates, did jack for my buddy, or his wife, no decrease in rates, actually pays the same as his brother who did not do a course

Same as drivers ed for cars, my wife and kids did the course, insurance did not care and don't care, I have changed a few times not a single one reduces by anything, after I tell them, all 3 have taken drivers ed...

Even when I shop around each year not a single company has asked me if I have taken a course

Let's hear what Paul South has to say...?

Might depend on the ins., co. I think some ask if a course has been taken in the last few years. Doesn't help me, mine was decades ago...then again, I'm old, so saving there.

What joe said...X10?

I lost count

New to this bike thing.
Called around and they all required it.
Not mandatory, but I think you know what the answer is.
You will learn a lot.
You will save on insurance.
It will probably save your life.
Welcome to the forum.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Well, let's not get carried away here. Its a great course to take but it's more focused on "this is the shifter, this is the kickstand, this is the start button" than counter steering and avoiding target fixation. I think the most the course taught me was how to stand-turn the bike and applying rear brake when doing low-speed stuff to stretch her out a little. The rest is basic knowledge, but still I would recommend it!

edit: can't forget about the 10% insurance discount I get as well!

Well, let's not get carried away here. Its a great course to take but it's more focused on "this is the shifter, this is the kickstand, this is the start button" than counter steering and avoiding target fixation. I think the most the course taught me was how to stand-turn the bike and applying rear brake when doing low-speed stuff to stretch her out a little. The rest is basic knowledge, but still I would recommend it!

edit: can't forget about the 10% insurance discount I get as well!

What's basic to some doesn't even occur to others. I took the course and took away much more especially emergency braking and awareness training. They also focused greatly on counter steering so not sure why our courses were so different.

It also helped to receive an insurance discount. If your soul purpose is to take this course for the insurance discount, you are being very short sighted. Your life is worth far more than the cost of the course.

Back
Top Bottom