Anyone else on a diet? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anyone else on a diet?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
A couple of weeks ago I was feeling generally crappy and after thinking about my fuel intake, decided there was too much refined sugar in it and I declared war on the white stuff. In a nutshell I feel better but it sucks. There is sugar in almost everything.

I have even resorted to making my own ketchup because the second ingredient in the store bought stuff is, guess what? SUGAR. For mine, think salsa run through a blender with a few sweet white grapes and a shot of white vinegar. Tastes like crap on fries but not so bad on meatloaf.

The calorie counters will point out that fruit and juices have a lot of calories as well but this is a racist type diet war. I only hate white sugars.

I have lost a few pounds as everyone does when they change eating habits, sort of a welcome wagon diet gift. Part of that is the lack of desserts. I do occasionally indulge but a large pie now lasts more than a day.

Black coffee. Find a really good blend and learn to enjoy it commando. (The coffee, not you. Particularly at Starbucks)

All diets work for the same reason. They make you think about what you're eating. They fail because you get tired of the constant thinking.

Get rid of bread too. I got rid of sugar (beverags, alcohool, etc) + bread and everything fried for a year, lost tons of weight, now I'm slowly eating them again, but my weight it's pretty ok.
Honestly, go to the doctor I guess? so you know what's bad for ya.
I wouldn't follow any diet "eat 3 pieces of egg 3 times per day", it's too much trouble, and you get tired easily. But yeah, getting rid of bad stuff totally helps.

Not diet, but definitely watch the breads, sugar and sodium intakes. Beer and pizza is my enemy, love it too damn much.

Tried switching to smaller plates for portion control, just ended up piling it higher...

I'm not trying to lose weight although there's about 40 pounds the Goldwing is carrying that my first bike didn't have to. It's more the white death of over-refined crap I'm trying to avoid.

There is some evidence that it takes several years to truly get into the health diet groove. The weight loss winners from the boot camp weight loss TV shows apparently have gained it all back and more.

My half assed attempts at diets have all failed. I noticed once I passed 33 the belly started growing way faster. Started working out (no cardio) and it went down well....baby was born and bam it came back. Working out at home now but still struggling. I primarily try and stick to portion control. Love food, wife is a phenomenal cook....difficult to diet. Also try and limit my intake of alcohol (maybe a drink, or small whiskey) every couple of days...and limit pop. Although recently I have a massive craving for it.

overall I find it very difficult, but I try and keep at it with the 1/week craving of wings, McDonald's, shawarma, or burrito...I'm hungry :(

nobbie, resistance if futile, just give up.

we are addicted to sugar. the food makers know it, thats why its the second main ingredient in just about every factory made food.

I eat in restaurants every day so managing what i eat is a challenge, I've gone to lunch salads but the calorie count is often as scary as a burger. I've cut out processed anything at home and breads in particular (unless I make it) because sugar is everywhere in everything.

Just by giving up wine, beer, and bread, I went from 185, to 165, since about this time last year, along with a jail house routine of pull ups, crunches, and push ups daily.

I used to drink a lot, now I drink very little alcohol. Feeling good takes a lot of work at 38 years old. Old habits become harder to break. It sucked for weeks not being able to sleep trying to get the alcohol out of my system. I quit smoking two years ago but the nicotine in my vape still owns me. That's next.

I have a massive sweet tooth, or should I say had, it was just as hard passing up desert as it was not putting a cigarette to my mouth, but your body starts to crave healthy food after a while, and the sweets start to become unappealing, to me this was the case anyways.

Just by giving up wine, beer, and bread, I went from 185, to 165, since about this time last year, along with a jail house routine of pull ups, crunches, and push ups daily.

I used to drink a lot, now I drink very little alcohol. Feeling good takes a lot of work at 38 years old. Old habits become harder to break. It sucked for weeks not being able to sleep trying to get the alcohol out of my system. I quit smoking two years ago but the nicotine in my vape still owns me. That's next.

I have a massive sweet tooth, or should I say had, it was just as hard passing up desert as it was not putting a cigarette to my mouth, but your body starts to crave healthy food after a while, and the sweets start to become unappealing, to me this was the case anyways.

I think your rate of weight decline is really good. Too many people want to lose it all in a month and end up on the yo-yo string. A friend went on the Dr. B diet, lost so much weight people thought he was dying and now weighs more than ever. He has also developed thyroid problems.

My mother quit smoking cold turkey and didn't have any major problems until about six months later when she was out with a friend having a drink and felt she should have a cigarette in her hand. Her reason for quitting: They went up to thirty five cents a pack.

I'm sure my sweet tooth has funded several Porches for the dental community but not so much now. I'm still trying to get over the mental attitude that a meal isn't finished unless it closes with something sweet. That craving isn't a true addiction but pretty darn close.

One of my uncles married a lady who turned out to be diabetic and to make life simple he ate what she ate. He was healthier than his younger brothers. However most of us are to some degree like garbage dump bears, taking the easy way out.

It doesn't help if you grew up under the "Finish your plate. Some starving kid in China, India, Korea would love that" regime.

Funny that we now import food from China and India.

I made some Ice cream the other day.

Whip up about a half cup of whipping cream and mix it into a tub of ricotta cheese.

Add concentrated fruit juice to flavour is and throw in some nuts or fruit peel for texture if desired.

I added 2 teaspoons of sugar to bring up the fruit flavor. Makes about 750 ml and freezes harder than the store bought variety.

One has to get used to the natural texture and flavour, not easy when we've been conditioned to the ultra smooth processed stuff. And it's low sugar not low calories / low fat.

I think your rate of weight decline is really good. Too many people want to lose it all in a month and end up on the yo-yo string. A friend went on the Dr. B diet, lost so much weight people thought he was dying and now weighs more than ever. He has also developed thyroid problems.

To be honest, the weight was lost within a couple months, the thing is tho in order to maintain this weight, the discipline became harder, and the workout I do daily had to be stepped up a tiny bit progressively over the year. I feel my current body weight is what I should be to be healthy and allow me to be active and not get hurt or be tired or sore all the time. My mood is better too.

I dont always eat right, but keeping a few things out of my diet has helped tremendously in keeping me happy with what I look at in the mirror.

So keep keeping on with the battle of the sugars, what ever works for you. I just shared what worked for me, its different for everyone.

I'm type two diabetic. Years of abusing my diet caught up to me.

Like many others, I've adjusted my diet.

I indulge at times but, I've developed some discipline.

For instance, I may have a French Fry but I won't eat a lot.

My step son wanted wings for his Birthday Dinner.

I had one.

I found good smooth coffee that is excellent black with no sugar.

My challenges are, booze and exercise. The dogs are walked twice a day. If not even more. Rain or shine, snow etc. It's done.

But when I'm travelling for work, I'll have a few pints.

Grill dinner? Have a pint.

Neighbour invites us over, glass of wine or two.

It's not daily but, it's pretty frequent. Especially in the summer.

Winter, inside more and may have a glass of wine or scotch after dinner.

I enjoy it.

I don't have the motivation to work out. Too many distractions would pull me away after some time. I've tried and failed.

I'm ok but could lose a few pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP, you are absolutely right. Sugar is in everything and will make you feel crappy.

Watch the Netflix documentary called 'That Sugar Film'.

It will confirm all your observations.

Going on "a" diet is pointless. Changing your diet -- a lifelong commitment -- is what you're after. Cutting sugars and processed stuff is a great start. But you don't have to be mental and deprive yourself of everything; something tasty once in a while is fine. Deprivation will just lead to longing and binges.

I had surgery last fall and had a bit of a tough recovery. I ended up losing quite a bit of weight (went from 180 to 150). Having a relatively "clean slate" to work from I decided then to change my diet for good; no more white bread, no more chocolate, no fried junk etc. With lean foods and reasonable and sustainable exercise I'm at 145lbs now; feels pretty good having abs at 50.

I'm probably underweight but I will say it really helps with the power-to-weight ratio on the Tuono :) Still need to work on strength though...

Everything in moderation, don't deprive yourself.
If you want to eat a burger, eat a burger.
Exercise regularly.
Easier said than done though I know.

Hehe. I shouldn't say "no more white bread" as I just had a lean burger on a white bun last night. Like I said, it's not necessary to completely deprive yourself. OTOH, if your daily lunch includes fried fast food and all the calories, cholesterol, fat, sodium that go along with such food, well, good luck :)

Everything in moderation, don't deprive yourself.
If you want to eat a burger, eat a burger.
Exercise regularly.
Easier said than done though I know.
Amen!
Your muscles & brain need sugar. If you're not exercising there's excess.

Back
Top Bottom