Motorcycle certification at home | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle certification at home

allicedout

Is there anyone here or someone that you can recommend that would travel to your place and do certification on a bike? I bought it as-is and registered it unfit, now that the bike is ready I have no way to take it to a shop unless I rent a trailer or pick up truck to take it there. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Is it insured?
If yes then get a temp permit to ride it to the shop for a safety.

nope.....it's illegal to do this, most licensed mechanics will not risk losing their license over this....

trailer rental from U-Haul is 15 bucks for the day

Oh wow ok I had no clue. For some reason I thought mobile certification was normal. Looks like I'll have to measure up the minivan and see if I can get my little cafe racer strapped in there. I'll do search on places nearby, thanks for the info GateKeeper.

Is it insured?
If yes then get a temp permit to ride it to the shop for a safety.

No insurance, but if I do get insurance will MTO issue me a permit or a plate with a temp sticker? From my understanding once you've registered it unfit you can't get a temp permit.

Oh wow ok I had no clue. For some reason I thought mobile certification was normal. Looks like I'll have to measure up the minivan and see if I can get my little cafe racer strapped in there. I'll do search on places nearby, thanks for the info GateKeeper.

No insurance, but if I do get insurance will MTO issue me a permit or a plate with a temp sticker? From my understanding once you've registered it unfit you can't get a temp permit.
Yes mto will

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Unless things have changed, or it is different for motorcycles, I haven't been able to get temp permits for vehicles that have a UNFIT status

yes you can...

from the MTO site

https://www.ontario.ca/page/temporary-licence-plate-sticker

What you need to know

If your vehicle is registered in Ontario and you are arranging to complete the requirements for a licence plate sticker, you can apply for a temporary licence plate sticker in order to drive your vehicle to a garage (to satisfy safety standards certificate or Drive Clean requirements, etc.) and for other necessary short-term transportation purposes.

The temporary licence plate sticker must be attached to the upper right hand corner of your licence plate and will be valid for 10 days starting with the date issued.

A limit of 2 temporary licence plate stickers can be purchased per vehicle identification number or registrant identification number within a 365 day period. An additional “T” valtag will not be issued for the vehicle unless a regular validation has been purchased for that vehicle first.

Note: Temporary licence plate stickers cannot be renewed online.

Last edited:
Unfit just means the vehicle is registered, but not certified as road worthy.

You can have it plated (showing proof of ins.) and registered as unfit until you provide a certification.

At that point the ministry will update the status to "fit".

If the ownership says unfit, they won't issue a temp sticker.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

From my many car buying experiences you can not get a temp permit for a vehicle already registered unfit in your name. If you go to the ministry with the ownership signed by the previous owner and show proof of insurance they will transfer the registration in your name unfit, issue a plate and temp sticker at point of transfer. Because I only had my M1 I didn't want to pay a premium for insurance. I'm going to try and swing by the MTO tomorrow at lunch and see what they say anyways.

Went through this about 3 months ago.

When I registered back in January, it was branded unfit since I did not get it certified, nor did I request a temp sticker at that time. When I went back a couple months later to get my temp sticker (when it was nice enough to ride over to the garage), I was told they would not issue me one because my bike showed as "unfit" on my ownership.

Ended up getting my buddy to truck it over for me. Lesson learned!

Pro tip: Even if you do not plan to certify your vehicle until later, request a temp sticker anyways. You are allowed to request a second temp sticker within a certain time period if the first expires.

and why not ?

according to the MTO as I showed above they will

so I am not sure why you would say they won't....

From the MTO

[FONT=&quot]To get a temporary licence plate sticker visit a ServiceOntario centre and bring:[/FONT]

• the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is "fit"

Unless things have changed, or it is different for motorcycles, I haven't been able to get temp permits for vehicles that have a UNFIT status

If the ownership says unfit, they won't issue a temp sticker.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

You absolutely positively cannot get a temporary sticker when the ownership shows unfit – only during the transfer of ownership (when it remains in fit status under the previous owners name) can you get a temp sticker.

But I concur, find a buddy with a trailer hitch ( if you don't have a vehicle with one on it already) and rent a U-Haul motorcycle trailer for 15 bucks. Done.

From the MTO

[FONT="]To get a temporary licence plate sticker visit a ServiceOntario centre and bring:[/FONT]

• the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is "fit"

Now go back to where u got that from and scroll down further to where it says what you need to know

And read...

Or go up to my earlier post and read the part I quoted from the MTO

Pro tip: Even if you do not plan to certify your vehicle until later, request a temp sticker anyways. You are allowed to request a second temp sticker within a certain time period if the first expires.

That won't work either, the requirements for a second temp sticker remain the same regardless of the fact you may have bought one already – the limitation is only there to prevent people from driving around on temps long term as they used to as a matter of convenience On seldom used vehicles.

Now go back to where u got that from and scroll down further to where it says what you need to know

And read...

Or go up to my earlier post and read the part I quoted from the MTO

The MTO website contradicts itself left right and center – the fact is that I guarantee you will NOT get a temporary sticker for a "unfit" vehicle – it is called unfit for a reason, the MTO has classified it as unfit for the road Until such time it passes a certification inspection. Issuing a temporary plate sticker (that would condone operation of said vehicle on a public road) is simply not possible for an unfit/unsafe/unroadworthy vehicle.

The MTO website contradicts itself left right and center – the fact is that I guarantee you will NOT get a temporary sticker for a "unfit" vehicle – it is called unfit for a reason, the MTO has classified it as unfit for the road Until such time it passes a certification inspection. Issuing a temporary plate sticker is simply not possible for an unfit/unsafe/unroadworthy vehicle.

Well tell that to the MTO, not me, I'd print out the part it shows that it can be done and advise them to follow the facts they post

I'd like to know how you will get a car in fit status unless you drive it to get safetied, a bike might be easy, car not so easy, and the site does not say car, bike etc, but vehicle....

Back
Top Bottom