Motorcycle certification at home | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle certification at home

I'd like to know how you will get a car in fit status unless you drive it to get safetied, a bike might be easy, car not so easy, and the site does not say car, bike etc, but vehicle....

You get the temporary sticker under the previous owners "FIT" ownership status and drive it to the shop doing the certification before changing it into your name. That's the way people have done it forever, especially since people typically change the registration after the certification and everything is completed so it's a one-stop visit at service Ontario.

You can print out stuff from the MTO website and argue it at the wicket all you want, but long story short you will not get a sticker – the computer will not physically issue one for any vehicle in unfit status. Employees can't override that.

PrivatePilot is right. You can't get a trip permit for anything that's currently registered unfit. You aren't even supposed to drive one marked unfit with a dealer plate.

Need a safety for your unfit car, tow it.

Rosey Toes is still doing his thing? Neat. I may need him to cert a scooter soon.

Rosey Toes is still doing his thing? Neat. I may need him to cert a scooter soon.

Pretty sure I read elsewhere here a month or so back that he wasn't doing home certs anymore. Could be wrong.

Well that is unfortunate, but I was just gonna bring him the scoot. I don't live far from his shop.

It was posted here more than a year ago, that Ted, had been "suspended" by the MTO for doing at home safety inspections. He was told he con no longer do them to get reinstated, so I doubt he is doing them anymore

I think we need a sticky in the tech section that addresses both at-home certs and temp stickers (not picking on anybody, but I've seen this argument/misunderstanding many times). I'll write the post myself if you want

Well tell that to the MTO, not me, I'd print out the part it shows that it can be done and advise them to follow the facts they post

I'd like to know how you will get a car in fit status unless you drive it to get safetied, a bike might be easy, car not so easy, and the site does not say car, bike etc, but vehicle....

100% you cannot get temp stickers unless the ownership is in "fit" status. I have tried many, many times, they will not do it, car or bike it doesnt matter. If you show up with the print out they will highlight the part that says the ownership needs to say "fit" and still refuse to issue you one.

You are expected to get it towed to a garage. Or you are expected to show up with a safety and e-test (if applicable) when you transfer it into your name so that its in fit status. That is what they will tell you if you ask them.

There is *no* other option, you cannot get temp stickers for a vehicle thats in unfit status, and havent been able to for about 15 years. It changed when they changed the rules so you can only get 2 temp stickers a year. You used to be able to get as many as you wanted, we used to drive our cars around permanently on temp stickers in highschool because there was no way theyd pass safety or emissions testing, and a temp sticker was 10 dollars for 2 weeks of driving. Coincidentally, thats why the rules were changed.

nope.....it's illegal to do this, most licensed mechanics will not risk losing their license over this....

trailer rental from U-Haul is 15 bucks for the day

Yeah right... $15 bucks and $110 in other fees. Who are you trying to kid?

Yeah right... $15 bucks and $110 in other fees. Who are you trying to kid?

Not sure how you got fleeced, but my rental was $14.95 plus taxes, and that was it.

Edit: Price corrected, it was indeed actually cheaper than I remember..and yeah, no extra fees...

Last edited:
MotorcycleTrailerMedium.png

Motorcycle Trailer

Motorcycle Trailer

Lightweight and easy to tow.

$14.95

https://www.uhaul.com/Reservations/RatesTowing.aspx

.....And that's for a 24 hour period or per day, of course it's gong to be more if you need it longer.....

Last edited:

Ted will certify a bike by phone LOL

"Walk over to your bike and turn signals on and off. They work? Okay.... squeeze your tires with fingers, are they hard? Okay. Have the wheels wobbled on the highway in the last month? No? Okay. Come over to my shop tomorrow I will have the certificate for you".

Hahahaha.

Okay I was only joking...

Ted will certify a bike by phone LOL

"Walk over to your bike and turn signals on and off. They work? Okay.... squeeze your tires with fingers, are they hard? Okay. Have the wheels wobbled on the highway in the last month? No? Okay. Come over to my shop tomorrow I will have the certificate for you".

Hahahaha.

Okay I was only joking...

AHHAHAH I'm crying over here.. that was good.. thanks, I needed that :)

Back
Top Bottom