How did the Ducati 900SS age? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How did the Ducati 900SS age?

TwistedKestrel

King of GTAM
Site Supporter
There's a 900SS on Kijiji for $3000 right now. Is it a good idea or bad idea? It is supposedly turnkey, does that seem likely? How much wrench time will it need compared to a Japanese bike?

It'll need a lot more wrench time but I'd buy it just for that engine soundtrack. Definitely a labour of love and Terblanche beat up the styling.

i had the previous iteration of the 900ss.( a 1996) same engine etc as this one except carbureted..
i found the maintenance to be no problem. i did my own valve adjustments and timing belt changes. these 2V aircooled motors are easy to work on...easier than my hondas....the 4V desmoquattros were a beeotch
there is a ton of how-to maintenance info online if you ever get stuck on something.
i would avoid if you dont do your own wrenching ...it can get really expensive
if you like the styling, this is a solid bike, fuel injected , less trouble than the previous carbureted version, beefed up frame tubing (previous version would often crack near the steering head)
the desmodue bottom end is reliable
i would probably change the belts just to be safe...the valve clearances are probably fine as they tend to settle in after about 20k
be ready for hard suspension and "character building " ergonomics :)

Last edited:
I do maintenance myself, I just hate doing it. 2V twins are generally my favourite valve adjustments, but I dunno how Italian factors into that. Good point on the ergos, according to cycle-ergo the seating position is pretty much the same as it was on my T595, which was... aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom