Bike Opinions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike Opinions

uncivilengineer

So my girl was stolen from me about a month ago (2015 Ninja 650) and I'm just beginning the process of finding a new bike.

Been to a few shops (Snow City, Cycleworld, VOS, Ready Powersports) to name a few (if you have a couple of others let me know), and sat on a few and am narrowing my list down.

Basically looking at a more naked version of a bike, not wanting a supersport but something with some zip would be fun. I'm a bigger guy so something not bent over would be good too. I'm narrowing the list down, but want some opinions on the models, insurance rates, etc. M2 licensed right now, will be full M in the spring if I get a bike. Have over 12000km under the belt with pretty good rider training in BC.

Basically my shortlist now is
Kawasaki Z650 - Loved my 650, and sat on this at Snow City and loved the reduced weight and feel of it, and I may be biased
FZ-07 - Seat sucks on it, but definitely one I've been interested in for a while
FZ-09 - Seating is much more comfortable, had a buddy from my riding school recommend it as well
GSX-750 - Not a bad seating position, but really turned off somewhat by how wide it looks from the front
SV650 - Similar to the Z650, more fairings, not bad seating

I like to do longer rides, so I'm almost discounting the FZ07 out already. If anyone has anything to add from their experience on these, it'd be great. Hoping to salvage the rest of this season before it gets cold again, but I still also need to get through the insurance part. Considering a second hand as well, but I'm not the most mechanically inclined and I just don't trust other riders not to abuse before they sell sometimes. Insurance may also play a part on this, but I'm going to start getting some quotes in the next week.

FZ-09 if you can wing the insurance.

If you like long rides, you should consider an aftermarket seat anyhow.
Sargent, Corbin, etc.

For the record, I found the FZ-09's seat a torture on a 10km ride.

If you are a bigger guy than scratch the FZ-07 - it was designed with smaller people in mind. Both ergos and suspension.

From your list I would go with the FZ-09. Try the Z900 as well.

I can share my opinion on FZ07 and FZ09. I rode both bikes and for me 07 is way more comfortable, I'm 5'10 and around 180lb. Can you be more specific and let me know what you consider a longer ride? If I need to spend a half or a whole day in the saddle I wouldn't pick any bike on your list. Have you seen a new Kawasaki Versys 650 or Suzuki Vstrom 650 ... these two could be a great choice?

Street triple. I'm biased because I have a Daytona, but the 3 cylinder engine really is fantastic.

Thanks for the replies so far, insurance will probably end up dictating more than anything.

To answer you, Brian, I've done days of over 600km but they were more zip down along a main highway to get to a destination, but on windier roads I'd say around 300km-400km in a day. Most of the time I'll do a quick 50km zip around somewhere if I get the itch.... ok used to..... but I digress. A day in the saddle over a few sometimes would be in my cards, but as noted there's a bit more padding on me than others below too. The Ninja 650 was good with the stock seat for those, but barely.

I've checked the Vstrom and the Versys, wasn't a big fan of the style.

Thanks for the replies so far, insurance will probably end up dictating more than anything.

To answer you, Brian, I've done days of over 600km but they were more zip down along a main highway to get to a destination, but on windier roads I'd say around 300km-400km in a day. Most of the time I'll do a quick 50km zip around somewhere if I get the itch.... ok used to..... but I digress. A day in the saddle over a few sometimes would be in my cards, but as noted there's a bit more padding on me than others below too. The Ninja 650 was good with the stock seat for those, but barely.

I've checked the Vstrom and the Versys, wasn't a big fan of the style.

I can't agree more on Versys and Vstrom, that style is not everyone's cup of tea but I heard they're comfortable as hell on those longer trips.

From someone who currently has a Ninja 650R. I have been looking at the new Triumph Street Triple 765 RS as my next purchase. Based on all the reviews out there . This seems to be one excellent do it all bike. Not sure how good a fully naked bike would be for long trips though. They have one at GP Bikes to to at least sit on.

If a longer trip means to you just a good long day ride, than a naked with aftermarket seat would likely do. But for anything more I can't see how anything but a more touring focused bike would do. My Fazer8 get's uncomfortable on the arse in short order.

The other issue for longer hauls on highway slab is wind buffeting off the windscreen. There's no way to predict that except to say it all happens as the wind comes off the edge of the screen so rider height plays a role. On my Fazer 8, my neck is right where it hits, so wind-noise is the problem, even after my MRA screen does it's trick to make it far less turbulent.

What about a Tracer 9 from Yamaha? VFR800?

if you like the FZ09, and you're a bigger guy concerned about insurance
have you considered an FJ09?
same bike with slightly different fuel mapping
but a longer subframe and upright ergos makes it much roomier
and classed as a sport tourer so not bad on insurance
it's also very good on long rides, I can go 800 km several days in a row and still walk normally

VFR800 is getting really long in the tooth at this point. And I used to be a fan.
The latest gen doesn't quite seem like an update or an upgrade.
Still a good bike but not exactly a leader in the sport touring segment any more. Needs more power, less weight, lose the V-TEC and go back to gear driven cams and a high mounted exhaust for the ease of taking the rear wheel off and for aesthetic reasons.

FJ-09 is a great option for touring if that's what OP wants to focus on. Good discounts on these bikes. Not selling well as opposed to the FZ-09.

I have Zero Gravity on the Fazer8 and don't have much of a wind noise issue, nor buffeting.
As for the seat on the Fazer - not the best. ... But, once again, you shouldn't buy a bike based on the seat as it's easily upgradable and/or replaceable and very few motorcycles come with something decent stock. Fazer8 has been discontinued though. I would only recommend the 2013 and up models because of the fully adjustable suspension (especially for someone heavier).

Last edited:
a normal day ride to me is 300-600km. i am 6ft 190lb and the Fz07 is fine for that. I had a 2013 Ninja 650 and found that to be more torture on such a ride. The seat was ok but the upright ergo and extreme knee bend killed my knees. i only ride weekends in good weather. Got the fz07 on April 15 2017, put the bike away today with 4300km on odo.

FZ-07 is just about as upright, if not more, than a 2013 Ninja 650. But you are right, the knee angle is more severe on the Ninja. Seat height is low on both bikes, below 32". If someone has long legs they may prefer a taller motorcycle. Also at 55.1 wheelbase is very short. (About 1.5" less than FZ-09 for example). The distance between the handlebar and the rider is small as well.

For a larger casual rider it may be still a good option. But for a larger sized touring rider, I think this bike is too small.

Obviously different things work for different people but if you use an online app to compare the size, you'll see how tiny the FZ-07 is. http://cycle-ergo.com/

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I got shorter legs so not a huge issue lol.

Definitely food for thought in here..... just about to start negotiations with insurance so we'll see how this turns up.

Thanks folks, I got shorter legs so not a huge issue lol.

Definitely food for thought in here..... just about to start negotiations with insurance so we'll see how this turns up.
My tiny legs can't get over the seat of an fz07. ?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

As mentioned, VFR. In my opinion, any pre-2002 VFR would be great for what you are looking for.

Because they are "older" your insurance shouldn't be very much, and they are generally owned by more mature riders so they'll be well maintained. Also, they are incredibly well made. Many see well over 100,000kms with little maintenance.

The Gear Driven Cams are unique and incredible and the Single Sided Swing arm makes things like chain adjustment and rear wheel removals a breeze.

....and c'mon. It's a V4! C'mon! :agave:

3rd gen 1990-1993

4th gen 1994-1997 (My personal Favorite)

5th gen -1998-2001 (What I currently own)

Just stay away from the 2002+ VTEC models.

Back
Top Bottom