Insurance went up across the board or just SS? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Insurance went up across the board or just SS?

OmegaBravo7

I've got an opportunity today to buy a sweet bobber, but has the insurance rates gone up on them as well or were insurance companies targeting the SS class? Anyone know what to expect for rates on a 2004 Harley Sportster 1,200cc? I was going to get a SS (GSXR 750) last week but holy sh*t the quotes were jaw dropping.
34, M2 for 2 yrs now. No claims, clean record.

Only answer that will be accurate will come from a broker or agent. everything else is pure speculation, unless someone with the same driving record lives right beside you. Even a few blocks can vary by hundreds

I've got an opportunity today to buy a sweet bobber, but has the insurance rates gone up on them as well or were insurance companies targeting the SS class? Anyone know what to expect for rates on a 2004 Harley Sportster 1,200cc? I was going to get a SS (GSXR 750) last week but holy sh*t the quotes were jaw dropping.

No idea about other bikes, but sport bikes are up.

Mine went up by $60 to a whopping $800/year. It was only $350/year in 2004 and has gone up $50 every year since.

I thought it was Harleys and SSs that got the worst of it.

Shop around. There are a few brokers or agents that are site sponsors in the insurance section who can help out.

Yeah, if you have no M with 4 years of continued insurance you can forget about it. $4,500+ if they are even interested in insuring you to begin with,

Statefarm quoted

$3,300 for '02 CBR 954
$3,180 for '01 CBR 600
$1,428 for '04 Harley Sportster 1200

Honestly for the cruiser I was expecting half that price

Mine went down, but I heard that it was a high bracket the Weestrom was in. I plan on shopping it next year.

Statefarm quoted

$3,300 for '02 CBR 954
$3,180 for '01 CBR 600

It might have been half that if it was a metric cruiser, HD brings a premium for everything.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Man oh man I did good this year then. My 2014 fz 09 went DOWN from 1,300 a year to 980 For the same full coverage.

I had to switch to Aviva but big whoop

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Mine went up by $60 to a whopping $800/year. It was only $350/year in 2004 and has gone up $50 every year since.
I call bs.
Do the math ?

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Statefarm quoted

$3,300 for '02 CBR 954
$3,180 for '01 CBR 600

That isn't bad for an HD.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

damn....so all that insurance savings just goes away because your buying an expensive harley?

the Harley Brand is also surcharged on some companies. no quite blacklisted but you will need to meet their underwriting guidelines.

Harleys cost more and tend to be in the "repair" category after an incident/wreck vs the "write off" category like a lower priced Metric might be. One, of course, costs insurance companies WAY more than the other, so the insurance costs reflect that.

Much like owning a Cadillac vs a Chevrolet, there are additional costs of owning the fancier brand aside from purchase price.

Whether it's a Cadillac or Chevy is not as important as the amount of claims per model.
Price of the vehicle is not as huge of a factor as people think and quite often a more expensive car is cheaper to insure. That is because our liability pay outs are massive in this province.

Mine came down about $100 or so, however I also switched providers which brought it down more.

Whether it's a Cadillac or Chevy is not as important as the amount of claims per model.

Pretty much what I heard from agents over the last few months before finding a new ride. Yes, that Cadillac replacement is say 60k and the Chevy 40k but if claims are triple for the Chev model, then the premiums aren't that different. Older and cheaper vehicles don't get the breaks they used to, either, due to rapidly advancing safety engineering. IIRC, a 2009 Honda Fit had the same premiums (for me at least) as a 2017 Volkswagen Tiguan. That says a lot about those liability payouts--medical expenses are just out of control nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom