First time on a Cruiser + harley | GTAMotorcycle.com

First time on a Cruiser + harley

bigpoppa

First time on a Cruiser + harley(Lowrider S)

I tried to make this as comprehensible and organized as possible, but my writing isn't that good, and i tried to catch the essence and my thoughts as much as possible before they disappear from my head, so here goes my experience on a cruiser and a harley for the first time:

---------------------------------------------

Test rode the Harley Davidson Lowrider S today..my very first cruiser AND harley

I dont know if all cruisers are like this or just harley but:

The Power was great lots of instant torque and pull, I didnt get to open it up as much due to location(Richmond Hill)

The pipes were stock and it still sounded like a BEAST, i cant imagine what it would
sound like with proper pipes on

A buddy on another dyna said it was way louder than his bike(he was on a stock street bob)

The Bike shakes, transmission clunks and that is pretty standard harley stuff(though i admit i found the
shaking in conjuction with the epic sound to be intoxicating and inticing)

The shifting was a little odd, not the precision i am accustomed to from japanese bikes
but this i believe was a minor issue, something i got used to in about 10 minutes( probably due
to the fact that i had never ridden either a harley nor a cruiser before)

Handling was ok, certainly not as agile as the japanese sport bikes or naked bikes i have ridden
before, but it handled well and if it werent for the low ground clearence, i could have some
fun in the twisties with it (weighs 672 lbs - compared to the 430lbs bike that i usually ride)

I dont know what the exact ground clearance measurement was, but without even trying, i was scraping
pegs regularly in turns

Another interesting thing was after the ride some friends came over and pointed out i had melted
the heel of my riding boots, apparently the pipes were so hot they must have melted them

Only thing i disliked about the bike was the clutch, it was so heavy by the end of the demo
my left thumb was sore...about 10X heavier than the honda i currently ride

But the engine with its power and torque along with the AWESOME sound and the 'unique' shakes make this a pretty neat bike,
and i would totally buy it...at 10-14k..(not 20)

--------------------------------

A few interesting things i also noticed:

For once when you walk into a dealership, the sales people look like they actually want to be there and are not
out of place(unlike 95% of dealerships i have visited), they seem to know what they're doing and had customer service down to a science, everyone was very friendly, personable and helpful(coffee, water, they also had food i believe)

The place was also built well, everything had a premium vibe and feel to it
as if i was walking into a modern museum or an art gallery instead of a motorcycle dealership

I also wanted to try out some of the other dynas(fat bob) but i was tight on time...maybe some other time

I wonder if the other dynas and harleys engines are as fun or is the Lowrider S just an exception?

Last edited:
Re: First time on a Cruiser + harley(Lowrider S)

Maybe now you understand the meaning of character and why some people prefer it.

Honestly i feel that people who buy these bikes a lot of the times buy them for the looks, feel, and sound in addition to the other more measurable metrics (which is understandable)

Last edited:

Honestly i feel that people who buy these bikes a lot of the times buy them for the looks, feel, and sound in addition to the other more measurable metrics
Absolutely. It's not about the spec sheet but how the bike makes you feel.

Just for the record, your thoughts on the engine (sound and pull) are not necessarily Harley things, they are V-Twin things.

For example, go test ride an Indian (or any big bore metric) and you'll notice similarities in the sound and torque.

In the end, buy whatever floats your boat, but just sayin' - test the waters around all sides of the pool if you're thinking about jumping in. ;)

The more shaking, clunking and vibration - the more character. I finally get the meaning of this word too! ;)

I had a cruiser once but the lack of handling became a very large negative and I sold it after few months. I would only have a cruiser again as a secondary bike.

If you want higher revving, torquey V-Twin in a 400ish lb body that handles very well, try a Ducati.

Last edited:

If you want higher revving, torquey V-Twin in a 400ish lb body that handles very well, try a Ducati.

Ya thinkin monsters?

He's probably thinking Diavel - that thing is way over 500lbs wet though and with super wide rear tire, a bit difficult to throw around.

I used to have a 1999 Magna 750. Was a nimble bike but scraped the pegs all the time and it had a tiny fuel tank.

The Lowrider S has some factory mods for the engine that make it feel and sound and possibly perform better than a "regular" Lowrider.

HD is the master of multiple variants of the same platform.

HD aren't better than anything else. They just offer something different and in the cruiser area, they do have a huge variety and plenty of ways to "customize" a ride to make it your own.

Personally, I have a difficult time taking any of the dealerships seriously when basic Tee shirts have price tags from $45 up to $85. A lot of folks spend a lot of money to dress like pirates.

I have HD clothes that have been gifts but, I refuse to buy anything myself. The occasional peek at clearance/markdown still has me baffled at what they consider mark down. I guess they don't mind the various flea market full of apparel?

Mississauga has a demo ride today. Check out the VRod for a trip. Smooth and strong pull from that motor. Ergos? Not for everyone. Scrape some bits on the pavement? It's a game to avoid it. Lol.

Thanks for sharing the experience.

Probably one of the best Dyna's out there. IIRC Harley puts the non-counterbalanced 110 in the Dyna chassis, which gives it that characteristic shake at idle. They also have a counterbalanced 110, but it's used in the other chassis's like the Softail.

The exhaust pipes run very hot, the bikes run lean from the factory for emissions but nothing a Dynojet Power Vision won't cure, put that on my vrod and there was a noticeable reduction in pipe temps, especially sitting in traffic.

Great review, I have never ridden a Harley but have always wondered if it would be comfortable riding all day with the noise and vibrations.
They look awesome but I think the noise would bother me.

Scrape some bits on the pavement? It's a game to avoid it. Lol.

Who knew riding a cruiser could actually improve your riding skills by detaching you to lean off the bike to keep the bike more upright.

Shame they didn't put Brembo's on it though. The Hayes are ancient.

good review, thanks for sharing

I'm heading into the life phase where I'm going to have more riding and less work time, kids launched and gone

a sunny weekend cruiser sounds very appealing to have in the stable, love the quality of metric bikes
but will not buy a metric cruiser

Who knew riding a cruiser could actually improve your riding skills by detaching you to lean off the bike to keep the bike more upright.

One cannot have their cake and eat it too. If you ride long distances regularly and want a couch to enjoy the ride on, it's not going to match the abilities of a sport bike.

Yeah, I know big cruisers have their limits - I found mine on about 75% of the corners on Southwood Road yesterday during a spirited ride to the north, but exploring the bikes abilities (big and cumbersome or not) also comes back to the riders capabilities. Once again, I refer to this video of a cop on a big HD couch destroying an obstacle course that would stymie many a less experienced sportbike rider.

[video=youtube;M9MVY8swO5M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9MVY8swO5M[/video]

.... i honestly hope youre not so incredibly stupid that you actually believe this

.... i honestly hope youre not so incredibly stupid that you actually believe this

I'm fairly confident it was sarcasm - I took it as such, hence my reply above. ;)

The Lowrider S has some factory mods for the engine that make it feel and sound and possibly perform better than a "regular" Lowrider.

HD is the master of multiple variants of the same platform.

HD aren't better than anything else. They just offer something different and in the cruiser area, they do have a huge variety and plenty of ways to "customize" a ride to make it your own.

Personally, I have a difficult time taking any of the dealerships seriously when basic Tee shirts have price tags from $45 up to $85. A lot of folks spend a lot of money to dress like pirates.

I have HD clothes that have been gifts but, I refuse to buy anything myself. The occasional peek at clearance/markdown still has me baffled at what they consider mark down. I guess they don't mind the various flea market full of apparel?

Mississauga has a demo ride today. Check out the VRod for a trip. Smooth and strong pull from that motor. Ergos? Not for everyone. Scrape some bits on the pavement? It's a game to avoid it. Lol.

Your welcome,
yeah thats why at 20 grand i would NOT buy it, its a great bike but there are far too many great bikes out there, with much better price tags and bang for your buck(triumph anyone?) And at 20 grand i would want a clutch that worked the way i want it to work, not feel like a ton of bricks to use

Great review, I have never ridden a Harley but have always wondered if it would be comfortable riding all day with the noise and vibrations.
They look awesome but I think the noise would bother me.

Thanks!
The noise and the vibrations are part of the experience to be honest, initially i was a little skeptical but after about a minute, i started to rather enjoy the shaking and the noise that made the experience more enjoyable for sure

good review, thanks for sharing

I'm heading into the life phase where I'm going to have more riding and less work time, kids launched and gone

a sunny weekend cruiser sounds very appealing to have in the stable, love the quality of metric bikes
but will not buy a metric cruiser

Thanks!

Apparently there are big bore metrics out there that also have these traits(germane to v twins i guess?)
I wouldn't count them out, try out and see what you like...I know im personally itching to get on the m109 and the raider now(both comparable in displacement to the lowrider S at 1800cc)

Probably one of the best Dyna's out there. IIRC Harley puts the non-counterbalanced 110 in the Dyna chassis, which gives it that characteristic shake at idle. They also have a counterbalanced 110, but it's used in the other chassis's like the Softail.

The exhaust pipes run very hot, the bikes run lean from the factory for emissions but nothing a Dynojet Power Vision won't cure, put that on my vrod and there was a noticeable reduction in pipe temps, especially sitting in traffic.

This is what my boot looked like with the heat from the pipes after 20 mins on the bike;

http://imgur.com/a/6TEjF

Back
Top Bottom