Tell me about Manitoulin Island | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tell me about Manitoulin Island

regder

Site Supporter
Thinking of taking an overnight trip to Manitoulin Island.

Don't really know much about the island so could appreciate any suggestions about what to see and do. Would also appreciate some campground suggestions as well.

I've been a few times and like it very much. I like to bring my own tie downs for the ferry because their ropes are always really dirty and I prefer ratchet tie downs. I'm not sure how the booking for the ferry is now, but I used to book in advance during the mid-summer season. Bikes get loaded on first and are first off.

For roads, nothing is technical or twisty, but more straight or slightly winding and scenic. IIRC the roads were bumpy and many gravel roads around there too. At the end of many of the roads there are things to do like hiking or checking out the alvars, etc. I would suggest you 'do not' stay at Gordon's Lodge - there were reviews that it was bad and I can confirm it was one of the worst places I have ever stayed in. For camping I have stayed at Green Acres which is on the east side of the island which was okay - a good number of RV's, but it's also right beside the water with a big beach and some crappy food for dinner. I did stay at a place called L'Auberge Inn which is a house that feels like a BnB, although they call themselves a hostel. Very gracious hosts and bike friendly, with kayaks and other stuff.

For an overnight trip you may not get to do much, but it's still worth it to go. If you can, I would suggest spending 2 nights there so you have a full day to just explore and then you have the time to ride north out of the island into Espanola which is a remarkable stretch when not under construction.

FWIW, Check AirBNB, I found a few accommodation options up there that I was looking at when we were considering a trip that way last summer.

Just leaving cottage in Tobermory, town is stupid busy. You definitely want to pre-book the ferry.

They might be booked but Gordon's Park is a dark-sky rated astronomy locale on the island. I've heard there's some pretty cool celestial observations you won't see from anywhere closer.

Little current to Espanlola is a nice ride. Nothing too technical but long winding road. Looked like it was freshly paved when I was there in 2013. We stayed at the Anchor Inn in Little current, it had a nice micro brewery downstairs with bar and guest rooms upstairs. South island is as others have said, very scenic but nothing to write home about in regards to the road.

Red Lodge is a nice quiet,mc friendly place to stay.

Hopefully if they are still there-stop at Carol & Earls. Best place. All home cooked meal not frozen crap. Huge Helpings and their home baked pies are to die for.:)

Just got back from the Manitoulin Rally last weekend. All of the above sounds right. Roads are more straight than twisty with some winding bits. Pavement was ok in most places. Can't say where to stay as we camped at the Providence Bay fair grounds.
Ferry - no cost to reserve unless you cancel less than 24 hour before sailing. 40$ for bike and rider. I took my own ratchet straps this time - have used the rope they provide in the past.

I rode through Manitoulin last year while doing the Algoma Loop.

Echo what most said in that you should pre-book the ferry. The ride out to Espaniola was definitely the high point.

I wouldn't ride all the way out there just for that though. Might as well stay an extra night or 2 and do 129.

If you can take the last ferry at sunset it is definitely worth it. They sell booze on the boat, or just bring your own (remember you need to ride once you get to the other side, so careful). Vehicle section is locked during the crossing. We stayed at My Friends Inn (IIRC), small, but clean and quaint. Super nice people. No breakfast though, so we drove a couple miles north and found a nice spot. Very little gas on the island, especially at night, so fill up on Tobermory

Ferry to Manitoulin and the road to Espanola were the highlights for me.
The island itself I found unexciting. Still a neat trip though but not sure if I would stay the night.
The ferry is a nice break so you should have enough energy to keep going.
I rode through 3 times so far, once on my way to Algoma, and the other 2, towards Sudbury.

Back
Top Bottom