Warning label removal help | GTAMotorcycle.com

Warning label removal help

moarmoto

As I always have on all my bikes, I decided to remove warning labels yesterday.

From my prior experiences, it should've been an easy job. Heat with hair dryer, lift up a corner, then peel off slowly, then remove adhesive residue with goo gone or bug & tar remover.

To my surprise, the one on the tank started chipping and took me almost an hour. My finger tips are sore now.

After removing adhesive, I'm now left with square line.

It almost looks like the printed part of the sticker came off of some kind of clear sticker which is what remains. That's what it feels like when I run my finger nail across. But I can't lift up the corner.

Any advice?
B9vUy7r.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Honda put 2 warning stickers on top of my phantoms tank, and i'm afraid to try to remove them. I've seen when people remove the shadow sticker from the sides of the tank and it leaves a shiny spot behind on the flat black finish. Pisses me right off.

Try acetone. If that doesn't work, then you're SOL

There's harsher stuff but your paint or plastics might protest. Dichloromethane dissolves a ton of stuff...including certain plastics. I'd move down the harshness spectrum starting with soapy water first.

Sticker was under the clear coat?

Maybe try buffing the edges smooth?
If it was under the clear coat I don't think I would've been able to simply heat it and remove the textual part.

You could try one of these.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-in-decal-eraser-wheel/A-p8570970e

They really are quite amazing. If it's just residue leftover, it'll remove it. Go gently, it creates heat and if you overdo things it can damage the paint, but done lightly and keep it moving it's very low risk. I've had amazing results over the years, especially with car emblems and such that leave behind huge messy blobs of adhesive.

You could try one of these.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/4-in-decal-eraser-wheel/A-p8570970e

They really are quite amazing. If it's just residue leftover, it'll remove it. Go gently, it creates heat and if you overdo things it can damage the paint, but done lightly and keep it moving it's very low risk. I've had amazing results over the years, especially with car emblems and such that leave behind huge messy blobs of adhesive.
This, or polish and a buffer.

Looks like decal goo upon very close look.

Is wd40 ok to leave on the tank? I'm thinking to spray some on, then leaving it for like 10min and try wiping after

Looks like decal goo upon very close look.

Is wd40 ok to leave on the tank? I'm thinking to spray some on, then leaving it for like 10min and try wiping after

if it doesn't immediately start to dissolve the stuff, it's likely not going to work
If it does, some gentle wiping to remove the goo, then change to a clean cloth to buff it up to a shine

WD40 if buffed off will not damage paint or clear coat

I've used Isopropyl Alcohol in the past (the type you buy from the drug store).

There is no picking of stickers, it literally just dissolves the sticker and you rub over it lightly back and forth. Careful not to spread it to far or you get sticky bits of sticker scattered over your bike.

If that stuff doesn't get it off, I'm guessing nothing "paint safe" would. The outline of my tank sticker is still lightly visible as well, previous owner removed it, nothing I've done has been able to dull it either.

It's the dried aged glue from the sticker's original "shrink". I have it on mine too. WD didn't work completely at first. So far the best I found was to very very very carefully use a razor to take off the raised bit of dried glue, then lots of elbow grease and WD with a sharp plastic edge and then a cloth.

I left turtle wax bug & tar remover on for like 10 min, then used 89 cent plastic putty scraping tool to scratch it off. All nice now

Back
Top Bottom