Bike Insurance to high what should I do with it? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Bike Insurance to high what should I do with it?

Tech

Looking for a little advice. I have a 2000 Honda CBR 600 f4 with only 34000 Km on it. I have a perfect driving record, with 2 wheels and 4, am 30 years old, but refuse to pay the over 300 a month for insurance from any of the companies that has even wanted to give me quote.

Anyone been in this situation before and have any ideas?

Should I sell and get almost nothing for it? Store it long term and hope rates come down?

What do you all think?

-Adam-

sell the SS and buy a naked
i'm 25 with m2 and 2 tickets and am paying about 95$ a month on my Ducati Monster 1100.
cheapest quote on an SS that i got was the F4i and it was about 360$ a month and had to be bundled.

Sell it and get an FZ9 or something not SS. You might do better on a trade to a dealer in your case but would think there is some demand ...nice bike.

All you can do is call around (or get a broker to do it for you) until you find a quote that seems reasonable to you. I'm guessing you have M2 which will narrow down your options for a few years.

Or as mentioned, sell it for something that doesn't fall into SS category and you will see much better rates.

Go out and buy "Pipe and Slipper Monthly"...buy whatever bike they have advertised in there.

Have my full M. Have had the bike for almost 10 years. Bought a new truck a few years ago so I have had it packed away since. Was going to get it back on the road this year, but rates are higher then before.

Thanks for the advice.

You should be in the $600 a year range even for a litre bike.
My CBF1000 insures about $560 with
It's the category that is killing you.

Christopher South, R.I.B. (Ont), CIP
Insurance Broker, SurNet Insurance Group Inc.
csouth@surnet.net
P: 416-546-8969
F: 866-491-4002

Hey man, call around. I am same age, GM and paying $1100/year for my gsxr 750. Naked bikes are nice, but I would only get one as a second bike. Or a dual sport.

I pay $700 for GSX-R 750, $675 for Fazer8.

With Aviva through Mitchell & Whale. I do have my car and house with them as well. Car was the best rate I could find too.

Full M and riding for around 7 years now. Over 30. Clean record.

Where you live makes a difference as well.

I generally check rates every year before my renewal comes up. Takes half an hour to switch companies. Everything can be done over the phone and/or email.

Shop around. Call Dalton Timmis (broker), call Allstate. Unless there's something you aren't telling us, you should be somewhere near or under $1000 per year liability only. I wouldn't put collision on something that old, and fire/theft is debatable unless you live in an apartment building.

Perfect driving record but for how long licenced and insured?

If you just got your M2 and looking for insurance for the first time, it can be expensive even for a 30 year old with no tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shop around. Call Dalton Timmis (broker), call Allstate. Unless there's something you aren't telling us, you should be somewhere near or under $1000 per year liability only. I wouldn't put collision on something that old, and fire/theft is debatable unless you live in an apartment building.

x2 shopping around, and x2 calling Dalton Timmis. Your rate seems very high for 30YO and 10 years of full M, I agree. You can almost assuredly find a better rate out there but you're going to need to put some time in on the phone to find it - a broker that underwrites from a variety of insurers (like Dalton Timmis) is a good start.

The fact you've been without MC insurance for a period of time might be what's hurting you though....but I'm still fairly confident you can find a better rate than what you've posted.

Last edited:
Have my full M. Have had the bike for almost 10 years. Bought a new truck a few years ago so I have had it packed away since. Was going to get it back on the road this year, but rates are higher then before.

Thanks for the advice.

Sounds like you had a gap in your insurance. As far as I know, this matters to most, so they'll put your rates back up as if you were a 'new' rider, at least for a few years. It will still be expensive if classified as a higher risk/SS bike, but that might explain the even higher numbers right now.

Back
Top Bottom